Rlhdubs
9 years ago
Hi is there any 57 oval wings out there
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
bigoval
9 years ago
Not that I have seen anywhere.... I'm thinking I might "cheat" and get a day mouldings set made up....
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
The Gerson ones seem to be good, from what I´ve seen.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
bigoval
9 years ago

The Gerson ones seem to be good, from what I´ve seen.

Originally Posted by: JD 

The general feeling seems to be that they're OK for early Ovals... but wrong for later ones?

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago

The general feeling seems to be that they're OK for early Ovals... but wrong for later ones?

Originally Posted by: bigoval 

You may be right, but personally I'd take slightly wrong steel over glass fibre any day.
UserPostedImage
Lost64
9 years ago
I've used a pair of Gerson's front wings on my 1957 Oval, and apart from finding a good pair of genuine Oval wings, the Gerson units are the best you can get.

The fit is good, the profile over the wheel is better than other repro wings, they have the headlight wire tube fitted, the right side wing is blanked off while the left wing has the cut-out for the horn behind the little grills as per the VW originals. They also have the 'bulge' for the running board, again something some repro wings lack.

If you compare the cost of restoring a rusty original wing,(which would of course be preferable, but when did you last see these for sale at a reasonable price?), the Gerson wings make sense.

Gavin.
Rich Oakley
9 years ago

Just saw these on The Samba
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1600035 

Originally Posted by: PRE57VW 

They're not Oval wings, they're 1959-only wings. I sold a pair of '59 wings in similar-ish condition a couple of months ago for £135.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
bigoval
9 years ago

They're not Oval wings, they're 1959-only wings. I sold a pair of '59 wings in similar-ish condition a couple of months ago for £135.

Originally Posted by: Rich Oakley 

I didn't think they looked quite right for oval wings... I guess that is why they're for sale?
pig-pen
9 years ago
hey rich! martin here from brighton.
those are my wings for sale

I can guarantee they are off my ribbed door oval, with stratos silver under 3 different paint jobs.

they are for sale because I don't have the finances to fix them properly and I have some repros I am going to use. sacrilege i know, but if it gets the car on the road then so be it.

all inspections welcome to confirm they are march'55

:)

Rich Oakley
9 years ago

hey rich! martin here from brighton.
those are my wings for sale

I can guarantee they are off my ribbed door oval, with stratos silver under 3 different paint jobs.

they are for sale because I don't have the finances to fix them properly and I have some repros I am going to use. sacrilege i know, but if it gets the car on the road then so be it.

all inspections welcome to confirm they are march'55

:)

Originally Posted by: pig-pen 

Hi Martin,

How's it going? Good to see you the other week.

I've owned many sets of Oval wings and yours are definitely post Oval :wink: Oval Wings have totally rounded, hemi-spherical headlamp bowls without the flat pressing at the rear. Also, the trailing edge of early oval wings has a large 'flare' where they join the running board. It's most likely that the wings on your car were replaced with 'new' ones very early on in its life (probably 1959!)

All the best,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pig-pen
9 years ago
dammit! you are right. well that sucks, I just assumed they were OG due to the (what I thought was) OG paint underneath. seems like they must be '59 then. I was just about to sell them too! now I need to let him down gently.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
I might be interested in these wings. How much are they now they aren't Oval units? Where can I see some pics?
UserPostedImage
pig-pen
9 years ago
hello. It is the fronts that are not oval... the rears are heart light wings for sure, but need a LOT of work. they are pretty much lace under where the stone guards are.
I might have sold the '59 fronts already... will get back to you sir.
if you follow the link to the samba ad then hit 'other ads' or whatever the pics are there

bigoval
9 years ago
FYI - for those wanting Gerson wings (from Gerson)....

"Sir, the problem with the front fenders is a production one/financial one...it does not make business sense to make those wings using our current manufacturing techniques...it costs us about $500.00 to $1,000 US to make each fender...this is the actual cost of the fender, labor and lost production on other items that make the company money...not good...hence the reason why we do not sell these, or only sell them from time to time...we hope to have this problem solved by the end of the year..."
Rocksavage
9 years ago
Guys, check this in the for sale section, I have a near perfect right hand side front wing for an Oval window Beetle, finished in green it appears to have never been fitted, some light surface scratching from storage but no issues at all, this one has the tube attached to the headlight bowl with the flange fixing also attached. This really is an almost perfect wing in outstanding condition.
pig-pen
9 years ago
dunno what is happening to my posts... maybe this one will work.

note to rocksavage... as pointed out above the wing you are selling is '58-'59 as it has the flat section in the headlight bowl. cheers.
Rocksavage
9 years ago
Pig-pen, thanks for info, is there a website I can reference this on to confirm the age?
pig-pen
9 years ago
Hello

Delayed response as I thought they were sold.
As far as I know the flat bit in the headlight bowl means '58 and later, and the wiring conduit along with no hole for a peanut indicator suggests a semaphore car so '59 and earlier...
so these are '58-'59 wings. Anyone who thinks I am talking utter bollocks please feel free to chip in.