56coupe
9 years ago
After already having a couple of poor quality parts delivered, I thought I`d ask where are the best repro or original parts available, especially rubber parts as my quater light seal are in need of replacement. Have we already had a name and shame section on here that I have missed. I`ve just fitted door seals for Deimos air cooled and that little job went ok. Their window winders are only fit for the scrap bin though :oops:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
9 years ago
I don't think it's a case of one supplier selling good stuff vs another that doesn't, they all seem to pretty much sell the same stuff. It's down to each individual product - there are good repros and bad repros and you can usually tell the difference from the price.

Best to try and use original parts if you can, someome like https://www.thegermanjunkies.com/  sell original parts that are either NOS or restored. Or you could go to shows and swap meets and pick up bits there. :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
As Rob says, it's generally the same parts (or selection of parts) being sold by different people, so it makes little difference where you get them from, quality wise. Panels seem to be the exception to this, as there are some really nice parts available from some smaller manufacurers.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
56coupe
9 years ago
I think I`ll just try restore by repair as far as my running boards are concerned I`m not into lucky dips, in future I`ll wait till the shows are on and you can see the gear in the flesh. Deimos have been great so far I would recommend them especially the fast service.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
Running boards? These are the best I´ve seen...

https://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/index_e.html 
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
JL
  • JL
  • Regular
9 years ago
For running boards Mika Virtanen makes superb reproductions

https://junakeula.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Peltejä/Beetle+restoration+panels/ 

and as mentioned already

https://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/index_e.html 

I only got my running board matts from Norbert but again, these are superb quality

56coupe
9 years ago
Wow the stainless items look very nice. Is`nt it always the case that you don`t get everything included for the top price though? extra for the rubber mats. I think I`ll go for the German standard ones, they`ll see my time out I`m sure.
BazooooL
9 years ago
on the point of Repro parts, I used to think the stuff from Brazil was poor, but the stuff now coming from China is awful,

Has anyone had a solex pict 28 refurb kit marked "Empi - made in china" ?
56coupe
9 years ago
It seems that all top makes are selling out these days for cheap crap manufacturing in China, all so that they can make a bigger profit. Not just car parts but everything else too, big names all made in China or Korea, its the real threat to our homeland not the BS terrorist rubbish pumped out on the news everyday. Viva la revolution, er ......sorry rant over :oops:
BazooooL
9 years ago
the reason I asked about the solex 28 carb kit, recently had one of these made in China/Empi kits delivered by very well known VW supplier, which in my opinion could be dangerous to use as the pump diaphragm supplied had a smaller disc in the middle fitted which then meant the spring would sit on the rubber & I could see problems there after not too many miles,

idle screw was also too tight & too long

did get sent another alternative kit which seemed better, but a novice could/should see the difference between the 2 kits as one had plastic needle & stems instead of brass as well as the above

I recall years ago when Empi was the dogs danglers when it came to accessories etc I've still got a West Coast Metric pocket book with lots of goodies in

But im a believer in seeing humour in everything, you just have to look hard, but maybe in the case of the Empi over-riders if you haven't seen them, not toooo hard :d

steps off his orange box