Rattletrap
9 years ago
When you import a car from Europe you would normally need a UK MOT pass on the car before you can apply to the DVLA to register it. Now, I know that pre 1960 cars are usually MOT exempt, but for their initial UK registration I think that they still have to have a UK MOT pass to show that they are fit for use on the UK roads. Am I right, or can you register a pre60 for use here without a MOT test:?
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
9 years ago
I'm pretty sure that an MOT is not required for pre 1960 cars, this is taken from another classic car site:

The VHRA have now received clarification from the DVLA for the new procedures when MOT exemption for pre-1960 cars kicks in on the 18th of November.

Key points are:

MOT's will no longer be required when registering an import or recently restored car, either via the V765 scheme or a V55/5 form, a letter from an owners club will still be required as it is now.

You will be able to MOT your car if you wish, if you don't, it is still up to the owner to keep it in a roadworthy condition.

When it comes to taxing your vehicle at a Post Office counter or DVLA local office you will need to fill in a form V112 which is a declaration of exemption from MOT testing.

The online taxing system will allow you to tax your vehicle without an MOT from the 18th November. For number plate transfers a voluntary MOT will have to be taken.

I was also told this by the DVLA prior to the rules coming in, but at this stage there was still a lot of confusion about the new rules.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
9 years ago
Also, I forgot to add...

Lets see some pics!! :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
aerosilver
9 years ago

I recently registered a pre '60 U.S. import, no MOT required, just insurance and import docs.
Russ.
Rattletrap
9 years ago
Thanks guys.

Sorry Rob, but its not a Volksie.:oops:

I was just thinking it was time to get the slumbering monster T87 out of my garage and road legal. well, at least its rear engine and air-cooled with swing rear axle.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Lost64
9 years ago
I've just managed to register my Swedish import '57 sunroof Oval. I didn't import the car, having bought it from the guy who bought it from the importer:shock: so had to firstly complete a NOVA application, (Notification Of Vehicle Arrival form) with HMRC, before the DVLA would issue me with an age related number.

I had to supply the original 'birth certificate' from Wolfsburg, copies of my insurance documents for the car, copies of my driving licence, and a certification letter from the Historic VW Club to prove that the car was what it purported to be. HMRC replied within two weeks, and the DVLA replied within two weeks thereafter, although this might have been more to do with it being close to Christmas. You'll get all your documents back.

I wasn't asked for an MOT certificate, which is just as well, as the car isn't fully rebuilt, and was made before 1960 anyway, so you should be okay there. What I would suggest is sending the DVLA anything and everything you can to prove the car is what it is. It'll cost you £55 to have the process completed.

Along with the V5, you'll receive an authorisation form, giving you the go ahead to get plates made up, but this has to be done within six weeks, as the DVLA won't issue a copy form. Perhaps I was lucky, I've heard some horror stories about others having horrendous difficulties.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

Gavin.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
The NOVA form is the one you need to crack on with. You have two weeks from when you brought the car into the country to tell them that you intend to import it, and every day after that is a five pound fine.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rattletrap
9 years ago

The NOVA form is the one you need to crack on with. You have two weeks from when you brought the car into the country to tell them that you intend to import it, and every day after that is a five pound fine.

Originally Posted by: JD 

Well that's the end of that - I've had the car over 7 years!

I didn't think that you had to notify import of an antique car from within the European Community unless you intended to drive it on the public highway, which back then I didn't - and also as such an antique car from within Europe does not attract duty. I also had no import papers given, again as I thought a car from within the European Community did not require them.

Anyone any ideas to get around this one other than reimport it:?
Lost64
9 years ago
John,

My '57 Oval had been in the country unregistered for about four years before I started the registration process. Like you, I had no papers for it, not even a sale invoice, as I bought the car as a cash purchase. My own apathy over bureaucracy, and the desire to get on with the restoration meant that I only recently got around to applying for an age-related number.

I spoke to HMRC by telephone, and they advised me to include a covering letter explaining how I came about the car with the NOVA declaration, but they also warned me that I might still have been liable for import duty. Happliy they accepted my explanation, and I didn't have to stump up any money. I was then able to apply to the DVLA for a number. When I did this, I included the HMRC's letter giving me the go ahead to obtain the number, however I believe HMRC and DVLA share information anyway, so this might have been uneccessary. It's better to send anything and everything you can think of.

If you're a member of the owners club for your car, it might be prudent to speak with them. Quite a number of enthusiasts clubs have signed up with the DVLA, and if they are, they should be able to support your application.

In the 'good old days', the process was, of course, much easier, and when I was secretary of the HVWC, I helped several Club members obtain age-related numbers for their cars.

I hope you're successful.

Gavin.
Rattletrap
9 years ago

John,

...they also warned me that I might still have been liable for import duty.

Originally Posted by: Lost64 

This is what I'm losing the point about. The car came from within the Euro Zone (Germany), so surely no import duty can be levied. I did not have to declare to customs at the time when I came through with the car:?