russell ritchie
8 years ago
Just wondered when looking at various paint charts there never seems to be any colours list for the early cars, does anyone know what they are and for which years, also what colours were assigned for each of the military companies ?

Cheers
Russell
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagebug
8 years ago
Russell,

I've never seen any paint charts for the early post-war Beetles, but I think I've read somewhere that the basic colours were:-

Army= green
RAF= blue (maybe L32 dark blue?)
Civilian= black.

And I found this on The Samba:-

1946-1947
servicegrün (GB), braun (UdSSR), fliegerblau (RAF), hellgrau (F), dunkelgrau (USA), tiefschwarz L41, grau L28 und andere.

It's in this thread:-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192227&highlight=1946+paint+color+colour 

Maybe someone like Martin Southwell, Rich Oakley or Richard Cotton can help out?

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
nicolass
8 years ago
L32 dark bleu 30% matt  kees.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
russell ritchie
8 years ago
Guys

Thanks for the replies, need to find some photos of these colours, expo all with the 30% Matt

Another question did they all come with the same herring bone style and colour of seat material, I only seem to see restored cars and everyone things there's is right, but there's restored and restored correctly for 100 point resto, any ideas ?

Thx Russell
nicolass
8 years ago
Hi Russel
Upholstery are different material every year
The 48 i show has bleu stripes and is not for sale anymore
We have made 100 meter by a factory who can make it as the Original material for the seats
Door panels are bleu without stripes

And take a look on the 1948 register on Facebook there you find a lot of info

Cheers , Nico  2946.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  2953.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rod_vw
8 years ago

Guys

Thanks for the replies, need to find some photos of these colours, expo all with the 30% Matt

Another question did they all come with the same herring bone style and colour of seat material, I only seem to see restored cars and everyone things there's is right, but there's restored and restored correctly for 100 point resto, any ideas ?

Thx Russell

Originally Posted by: russell ritchie 

Hi Russell,

The factory tell me that mine (1-063289 - 1946) was Black so that is what it will be when restored.

The seats and side panels were certainly the 'Salt & Pepper' fabric as that is what remained under various re-covers. I have no doubt owing to the condition of the remnants and way in which it is fitted that it is original. It was a piece of the best remnant that were used by the weavers to reproduce the new batch.
I am waiting to hear from them about the cost of another small production run, I will let you know when I hear from them.

Rod

Rich Oakley
8 years ago
My '47 is confirmed as being Dunkelgrau from the factory.

Here's the correct salt and pepper interior in my car...
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
nicolass
8 years ago
My 46 has the same Rich  006.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.