simonhanloncole
19 years ago
Anyone dealt with this problem when i removed the front screen seal there where holes right through on both sides previously filled with filler so the mess is not great. any tips or estimates of cost etc appreciated
Cheers
Simon
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
19 years ago
Hi,
My £50 1968 had the same problem, I cut the whole scuttle from another bug and replaced the lot in one go, to half way up the pillars!

UserPostedImage

six-o-one
58BUG
19 years ago
I too had the same problem on my 58, originally I just wanted the perished rubbers to be replaced but when the windscreen was removed the corners were visably riddled with corrosion where water had been sitting there for probably years. From memory it cost £200 approx to weld new L shaped bits of metal in and respray. The L shapes are the bits on the inside i.e. the demister heater vents, the garage I used manufactured these themselves.

The biggest problem was getting the windscreen back in, apparently mine was slightly warped i.e. everytime one corner went in the other popped out. Eventually I just bought a new one (£50 if you look around) and this went in fine. :wink:
pre67vw
19 years ago
I'm pretty sure I've seen replacement corners available, I think maybe from one-on-one restorations? or Hookey's panels or something :?:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
simonhanloncole
19 years ago
Alan Scholfield made me up a pair of beetle corners look to be a good fit now need someone to fit them had one guy look he said it would involve re paining the dash as the welding would burn the original paint off is this true or did you get away with it, sounds drastic would like to keep dash as original
Thanks
Simon
58BUG
19 years ago
When I had mine done I just needed the corners resprayed and certainly not the whole dash. I don't know exactly how they acheived this but you certainly cannot tell that new corners have been welded in. :roll: