chris.james
17 years ago
😃 one more now
Denz
17 years ago
I got one! :wink:
early_air
17 years ago
i have 4 now and had another 5 last year so that makes????? quite a few more... :lol:
www.early-air.co.uk
dp
  • dp
  • Regular
17 years ago

and had another 5 last year so that makes????? quite a few more... :lol:

"early_air" wrote:

Sure that wasn't 4 and a half??? :lol:
Chris
17 years ago

i have 4 now and had another 5 last year so that makes????? quite a few more... :lol:

"early_air" wrote:

How many of the 4 are on the road ? The reason I ask is that a friend and I were talking about why you never see a lot of early stuff at shows, except Stanford Hall ofcourse. My excuse is that mine's still in a hundred bits in my garage. :oops: However, this allows me to drive my mate's split to shows as he's got two of them :roll: and we take the both. :lol:

We were just talking on the way to Dubfreeze about what you'd have to do to get more of the vintage owners to take their cars to shows ?
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
pre67vw
17 years ago

We were just talking on the way to Dubfreeze about what you'd have to do to get more of the vintage owners to take their cars to shows ?

"SDV" wrote:

You'd have to change the type of show... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Chris
17 years ago
All joking aside tho' Rob. (Dubfreeze isn't really a show). What do you have to do to get cars to shows ? Take the Historic VW Club for example, they're the ofiicial historic club of the country and even their show doesn't attract the majority of the split / oval owners that there are in this country. :?
The only show to get a good turn out is Stanford Hall, where last years turn out was fantastic (Thanks to K.V. for that). So where are all the cars the rest of the year ?

Hopefully they will all come out of the woodwork for Lavenhume, but what about the shows before then ? 😞

Just think that if more vintage cars turn up at shows it will have a domino effect and encourage more owners will bring their cars out to play.

Anyway, that's enough from me, I've got to get back to work...... :wink:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
pre67vw
17 years ago
OK, for the serious answer...

In the UK, most of the shows are so called 'new wave' shows that cater for the non-vintage side of the hobby - either drag racing, or big party tents with music and disco etc. The cost of entry to these shows is usually considerable in order to cover the costs of these 'attractions'. A lot of times these shows attract some trouble during the evenings - just read about peoples experiences of bug jam, cars vandalised, stuff stolen, nuisance neighbours getting drunk and loud till the early hours etc etc.

My experience is that vintage enthusiasts are either older or more settled (with the occasional exception) and these types of shows have little or no appeal.

If you look at Stanford Hall, its a nice setting - there's no big music event, no racing - its like the shows were in t' old days, a nice laid back day out, hence vintage people turn out. Same with Camberg, and Hessisch.

Why doesn't the historic VW show have a better turn out? That I'm a bit more puzzled about, It was getting pretty good when it was at Caughton Court, then it moved and died.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
356boy
17 years ago
i used to have one :cry:
356boy
17 years ago
i used to have one :cry: does that count
54oval
17 years ago
I got 1 and know of another which hasnt seen day light for 8 years
bigdubber
16 years ago
i got one . last seen the light of day back in 65 :shock:
rust!!!! of course its got rust
mmayson
16 years ago
I've sort of got one. The back window isn't oval though.
Michael Mayson
Ovalbug
16 years ago
I've got one :wink: .
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
356boy
16 years ago
lets see the pictures of them then :lol:
samghia
16 years ago
Here,s mine at Camberg.