58BUG
  • 58BUG
  • Regular Topic Starter
18 years ago
:lol: I recently purchased some white wall inserts and have since fitted them. They look great however they make a very annoying squeal, I believe this is when the wheels are turning and the insert rubs against the tyre wall. I think this only occurs when the tyre bulges i.e. at the bottom.

Does anyone have any experience of this or has used such inserts. I have already increased the tyre pressures to 26/32 to try and limit the bulge. The white walls are quite wide and I guess if they had a narrower diameter the squeal would be reduced?? Could I increase my tyre pressures yet further??
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
simonhanloncole
18 years ago
Don't increase the tyre presure beyond 20 F 30 R your tyres will wear out prematurly in the centre and if you have to pull to s stop the Beetle will just skid forwards.
Ring the white wall supllier or try putting some GT85 silicone lube on the edge of the whitewall that is squeking GT85 will not damage rubber so its same you cannot use any other form of mineral oil.
They may wear in and be OK after a little while but i would seek advice from the supplier first
Simon
eddy1989
16 years ago
i recently bought some white wall inserts but having trouble fitting them...was wondering if anyone could help??
1958 Harry
16 years ago
As it says in the instructions for the Whitewall inserts the gap between the tyre and sidewall of the tyre needs to be greased with 'Red Rubber Grease' Frosts sell this 🙂 You should do this anyway as it will reduce the friction and stop them rubbing through the sidewall.

And re: fitting them - you need to break the bead - much easier to just take them to a tyre place and get them fitted 🙂
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj
Ovalbug
16 years ago
Don't shoot me for saying this but those white wall tyre 'flaps' are a waste of time and money in my experience 😞 .
As has already been pointed out , they need to have red rubber grease (has to be this as ordinary grease will damage the tyres) regularly applied to the underside of the trim to stop friction between the tyre sidewall and whitewall insert.....
Without this grease, as the tyre rotates the whitwall insert will rub away at the tyre sidewall, with obvious safety consequences!
Many years ago I had a set on my daily driver Beetle, and despite regular greasing within a relatively short time the whitewall trims had almost totally worn away the words 'Firestone' from the tyre sidewall :shock: .
I promptly had the whitewall trims removed and wouldn't dream of recommending them to anyone, honestly :lol: .
Am sure there must be some people who have had white wall trims without any problems, but I have yet to meet one............. :lol:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD