Winding Man
18 years ago
My wife's 69 Black rebuilt Beetle - it is so comfortable and cruises so effortlessly....

Sad thought for the day - did the aircooled engine/Beetle really deserve to be retired?

Fan Bloody Tastic car.

WM
OBD Engineering
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
18 years ago
I love my '68 too!
I paid £50 for it in 1989 and wouldn't want to part with it (yet!) 😃

UserPostedImage

(It's the electric blue bug on the left) 😃
pre67vw
18 years ago
Cool photo Malc, is it several photo's stitched together or some funky lens?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
18 years ago
Winding Man
18 years ago
50 quid good grief - I wonder what a Beetle out the box in '69 cost?

Rob, sorry mate I meant to post this in General Chat - I am not doing very well with housekeeping on your forums lol - please move it if you wish!

Best

WM

OBD Engineering
simonhanloncole
18 years ago
Its retired as its a polluting, noisy and the heating is crap and its so easy to work on that no one ever took it to a dealer once purchased and they lost so much money.
It will be around for a long time yet as so many still used worldwide but i'm sure legislation and pollution laws will put a stop on our fun at some point in the future!!!!
Simon
Winding Man
18 years ago
Simon, you may well be right lets hope it does not come to that!
I am after a second bug now - hopefully pre 66! - and want them to see me for at least 10 years.

Are there any aircooled car engines in current production?

Surely with moderm sound absorbant materials and emmission control - better more modern fuel injection systems and improved heater arrangements the Beetle could have continued (modern evolving shape as it has, composite materials etc etc)

How much power is used to run the air fan cooling system? Water cooled engines also have a "fan load" albeit probably less?

In terms of the fire risk and overheating issues associated with teh Fan belt failure direct geared drive of the cooling fan system could probably alleviate this particular downfall?

Interesting none the less.....but an era going rapidly by.
I have been trying to obtain a pre 66 and that seems not so easy.

One thing is for sure, given the lack of plastic components (something shared with my Landrovers - all pre Series III) these cars can be maintained indefinately....

WM
OBD Engineering
six-o-one
18 years ago

I have been trying to obtain a pre 66 and that seems not so easy.

UserPostedImage

how about a '56 in Joburg?

Details... 

😃

six-o-one
Winding Man
18 years ago
Thanks I am on it...have e-mailed - we shall see!

Never thought of searching for a local car on the web !

Ta

WM
OBD Engineering