58BUG
  • 58BUG
  • Regular Topic Starter
20 years ago
I have recently been experiencing loss of power on my stock 58 beetle. It only happens when the engine warms and the only way I can then get any power is to more or less pull the choke fully out. I have now stripped down the standard solex carb hoping that gunk inside it is maybe restricting the float from working properly which would explain why power is only returned when the choke is fully pulled out. On inspection the carb seems to be fairly clean, however the brass pin which the float is clipped onto appears to be very loose infact the float seems to be pivoting directly on the pin rather than the float being fixed to the pin and the pin pivoting on in its holders. Hope this makes sense. Has anyone experienced any similar problems or have any alternative ideas as to what the problem maybe. I won't know if the general clean will be successful until I put the carb back in, fingers crossed. 😶
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Moby5153
20 years ago
The float is normally very loose on the pin. If the carb overhaul doesn't have much affect check the inlet manifold for air leaks.
58BUG
  • 58BUG
  • Regular Topic Starter
20 years ago
Sorted, the general clean did the job, I did also crimp the float harder on the pin as it seemed to me to be just too loose. No lose of power, no wondering whether I will make it home. Thanks for the advice recieved. :lol: