Bert53
  • Bert53
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
18 years ago
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to service an early air cleaner (a cylinder type one with what looks like a fabric filter-see pic below). The end caps don't seem to come off easily and I don't want to put big dents in it trying to take it apart. :roll:

Thanks,
John
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
18 years ago
There's some info on restoring a T-filter on the Strictly Vintage Forum 

It might be of help.

six-o-one 😃
Bert53
  • Bert53
18 years ago
Many thanks for the info. It sounds a bit tricky but I'll give it a go. 😃
six-o-one
18 years ago
John,
Could you take a few pictures and show us how it's done please?

Good luck

😃
Bert53
  • Bert53
18 years ago
I'll make sure to take some photos. I think this will be a job which I can do in the kitchen on those cold dark winter days (don't tell my girlfriend though) :lol:

Cheers,
John
Bert53
  • Bert53
18 years ago
I've just finished restoring my T-air cleaner and will post all the photo's as soon as I get chance.

I spent quite a while looking for suitable material for the "sock". Most materials were too thin, too stretchy (which would lead to the sock going baggy) or made from man made fibres (these tend to burn or melt , not a good thing in a hot engine :? ) In the end I used a thick natural 100% wool material, this doesn't stretch much and doesn't burn easily, plus it's a natural cream colour so looks great inside the black filter. I used the old sock as a pattern and my super girlfriend did all the sewing.

If anyone wants one I have some material left so could make some more.
pre67vw
18 years ago
Maybe I should add a 'how-to' section on the site and include the instructions in there?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Bert53
  • Bert53
18 years ago
:idea: Sounds like a great idea Rob :idea:
There must be hundreds of us DIY car restorers reinventing the proverbial wheel every weekend 😞
They always say this modern technology is supposed to save us time, so lets use it to spread the info around a bit, maybe it could save someone time and bloodied knuckles 🙂
Bert53
  • Bert53
18 years ago
:idea: Great idea rob.

There must be hundreds of us DIY car restorers out there reinventing the proverbial wheel every weekend 😞
They always tell us that the internet is here to save us time so lets use it to pass on the info. Maybe it will save someone bloodied knuckles as well, Ouch :wink: