65std
13 years ago

Well there we have it then. The official terms for Standards (111, etc...) seemed to have ended for models introduced in late 1966.
So maybe 1965-66 is indeed the cut-off date year and Brian's model is one of the last models which can officially be called a Standard. It would make sense since Brian's type 115 still has older domed hubcaps and not the flat ones introduced for the new 1200A models of late 1966 as shown on that colour chart, yet again a progressive move from the earlier features sported by the now defunct Standard model.:smile:

48REME wrote:

Brian's car has the new ball joint ft end with roller bearings just like all 66's have. Those hub caps are not original to the car (correct Brian ?) Brian's 115 is a 40hp(SAE) with seat tracks welded to the pan and no bumps in the pan for securing mats-all new for the 66 model year for 111-112-115-116 models. This is a big major shift from the previous years model 1200A. Heck, Brian's car has new for the first time a electric choke.TheSamba.com

August 1965 (1966 model year) 1200A Bug Owner's Manual
Click on any page to see it full size.

65std
13 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_65bug_1200a/cover.jpg 

Don
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

People need hard evidence from Volkswagen themselves to prove their car is something other than what it appears.:mellow:

Rattletrap wrote:

Interesting... :wink:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
GKL 7
13 years ago

Interesting... :wink:

Mike Peckham wrote:

You've got to laugh at that one Mike:rofl:
losthillsguy
13 years ago
OK, I found what I was looking for.

I concede my car is not a standard. :oops:

Standards ended with chassis number 6 502 399 in July 1964

The standard sedan, sedan A (what is that?) ended 115 979 202 in July 1965

Progressive Refinements - VW Source page 152 - In writing!!

I feel much better now :smile:

https://oacdp.org/wog69/153.png 

Of course now we can get into a discussion of the difference between Type and Model :cry:

UserPostedImage
Brian O'Kelly
California, USA
Central Coast Chapter, CA Vintage Volkswagen Club of America
65std
13 years ago
Hey guys, anyone notice the 1300A in Brian's data above? Base 1300! I saw one of those in Switzerland in 1979, (a 67) just below Burgenstock on the dock on lake Lucerne as a post office runabout. I've seen those in Germany too. For 1967 in Germany you could buy a 1200A, a 1300A, a 1300 Deluxe 6Volt or a 1500 12Volt, new headlamp, /disc brakes. In Mexico for 67 you could by a deluxe 1200 that had the 58-64 body. Wonder what was happening in Brazil in 67?? All these combinations!

Don
Rattletrap
13 years ago

...I concede my car is not a standard. :oops:

losthillsguy wrote:

Ah ha đŸ˜›

Its been hard work for me for years here with this subject. I'll even settle for mid '64 as opposed to end '63.

But the point is as I've always believed, that no all-round big window Beetles are Standard models. And they don't look the part either.

Right, now that's out of the way back on with my other battle on these forums - Rattletrap's year of manufacture...:roll:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
A few detail shots of a rare 67 1200 base model 111.

Painted quarterlight frames.
UserPostedImage

Painted indicators.
UserPostedImage

Painted horn grille on one side only.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

It also had no Z-bar on the back suspension.
I tried to get a shot inside, but no joy. It had no fuel gauge and a fuel tap, no chrome inside and no glovebox lid.

The blue 6 volt 1975 car was also at the show.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Managed to get a full shot of the 67 Model 111 today. I notice there´s no bonnet chrome either.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
64rotbox
13 years ago
Lovely. It looks more or less the same as the RHD '67 base model I had a few years ago, apart from it having a glovebox lid, which was definitely there from new.
You can call me Al.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Lovely. It looks more or less the same as the RHD '67 base model I had a few years ago, apart from it having a glovebox lid, which was definitely there from new.

64rotbox wrote:

It´s nice for sure. It belongs to an old couple.

Did your car have a fuel gauge or a reserve tap?
UserPostedImage
64rotbox
13 years ago
A previous owner had hacked an early '60s gauge into it, but it definitely had a tap originally. No bonnet or dash trim, no z-bar, painted indicator tops and 1/4 lights, one horn grille, no bumper over-riders, plain black horn push, an on/off interior light with no A-post switches, no chrome trim in the window rubbers, small headliner etc.
You can call me Al.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Sounds like it was a real rarity. Odd about the glovebox lid.
RHD?
UserPostedImage
64rotbox
13 years ago
Yup. I've seen a few of them over the years but not that many. Mine was Fontana Grey and I'm sure the lid was original - no chrome trim on it either.
You can call me Al.
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Here's another claim of a big-window Standard…:roll:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170623508195#ht_500wt_1156 

(Nice signature you have, 64rotbox:d )
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Here's another claim of a big-window Standard…:roll:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170623508195#ht_500wt_1156 

(Nice signature you have, 64rotbox:d )

Rattletrap wrote:

A Model 111.
UserPostedImage
Old Blue
13 years ago
The 58 I was looking to get had black painted bumpers and black hub caps with no trim strips. May have been a basic bug but the steering wheel was the white with 2 spokes.:?
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
7 years ago

The 58 I was looking to get had black painted bumpers and black hub caps with no trim strips. May have been a basic bug but the steering wheel was the white with 2 spokes.:?

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

There was an interesting 1949 Deluxe split window at the Lavenham vintage VW show this year. It appeared to be very original and untouched, yet it had a three spoke steering wheel, the same as the Standard model, but it was white, not black.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!