pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
17 years ago
Anyone know a good reference for how sheet metal correctly fits together on a pre '53?

Specifically, front wheel well and inner wings.

How do the sides of this fit the other panels? (and is it available to buy)
UserPostedImage

and this area:
UserPostedImage

Thanks. 😎

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
1952 11G
17 years ago
Hi just wondering if you knew if the pre 53 spare wheel well panel is available as per your pic from BBT? Looked on their website and cannot find it listed? I am after one for my 52 so any pointers in the right direction would be greatfully recieve. 🙂
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
17 years ago

Hi just wondering if you knew if the pre 53 spare wheel well panel is available as per your pic from BBT? Looked on their website and cannot find it listed? I am after one for my 52 so any pointers in the right direction would be greatfully recieve. 🙂

"1952 11G" wrote:

I've just dropped BBT an email to try and find out, I'll let you know...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
1952 11G
17 years ago
pre67vw

Many many thanks for this, if i had thought i could have done the same! It was seeing the panel that i have been toying with the idea of getting someone to fabricate/alter a later panel that it never struck me that an e-mail was the obvious course of enquiry. 🙂
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
17 years ago
I never thought to ask until now either... :?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
17 years ago
This panel is not available to buy, its a modified version of the panel that fits later cars. 😞
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
17 years ago
I will post some pics inside my 50 spare wheel well tonight when I get home as its never been repaired, but is about to get a patch now just in the centre, the only welding job left to do!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
1952 11G
17 years ago
I would also be interested in seeing the pics of an unrestored wheel well as i am now looking at trying out my metalwork skills in trying to fashion/modify a later panel. Pre67 are you after one of these panels yourslef, wondering if it was worth having a chat with someone like Hooky to see if he could us modify a couple?

Cheers for your efforts
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
17 years ago

Pre67 are you after one of these panels yourslef, wondering if it was worth having a chat with someone like Hooky to see if he could us modify a couple?

"1952 11G" wrote:

Depends on the price... What I'd really like to see is some kind of photo tutorial on how to do the modification, that would be cool 😎

I doubt if anyone who has the skills to do this wants to show how though, unless its not their livelihood
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
1952 11G
17 years ago
For the price of a repro panel i am going to have a go at modifying one first off. Well in all honesty i am going to buy it and then get my father in law whos an old style metal worker to do the necessary as is still has a stash of his metal working tools. Will try and take some pics etc for info for others.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
17 years ago
that would be great!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Right, mine is original but I never said it was'nt crusty! :lol:
It will look far better after this area is blasted very soon, but I think you can see how it fits at least. I dont want to replace mine just repair a hole in the centre trying not to loose the early 'tyre indent' if possible, but keeping the dents.

Mine's 1950.

The top edge is spotwelded, but could be re-created if the metal's good enough to drill the old spots out and re-use the holes, as its impossible to get a small spotwelder in here.
I think you'd need a dremel to grind the plug welds down as its awkward to get a grinder in here, and you might grind some unsightly grooves in by mistake!!
UserPostedImage

Right hand side corner looking in, showing overlapping lip. Again small plug welds in the right place would do.
UserPostedImage

Looking down into left hand side. Seem to be just a couple of decent welds holding it in.
UserPostedImage

Left hand side again, you can see where the panel goes up to at the front.
UserPostedImage

The front edge of the spare wheel panel overlaps the front valance on the inside by about 1cm approx you can just see the line here.
UserPostedImage

From the outside you can just see at the bottom where it overlaps ( the primer is where we remade the front edge where there was an old 50p sized hole right through to the inside of the bumper iron mounts.
UserPostedImage

re. the front inner wing lower corners where it meets the front bulkhead, mine looks just like yours! and I have looked under a few splits here to see the actual angle to cut off that stickey out corner, but all the cars I've looked under have been repaired here or have underseal on so its hard to see, and it would be impossible to put the metal back if you chop too much!!
But I will take a pic under O's '50 when I'm down there next.

Look I can type almost as much as I can talk!!

:lol: :lol:
mrsherbie
17 years ago
O has 1 of these nos spare wheel panels, I think its about 60 though so not early but far better than repro, I dont know what he wants for it, we'll bring it to Peppercorn.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
17 years ago
Great photos, Thanks!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW