six-o-one
Chris
17 years ago
Wasn't planning on going with BBT.

Didn't fancy driving all that way in one day and to a strict timetable. I can appreciate the peace of mind if you have any problems etc. Last time we made our own way in a convoy of 5 cars. Stopped just over the German border on the Thursday night, a 'few' beers then a nice slow and easy drive into Camberg on the Friday. Got there to watch all the other cars roll into town with a beer in our hands. 😃

Took our time driving home aswell. Stopped off at a Begium hotel on Sunday night on the way back. End up taking a week off work but it's worth it.

What you've got to remember is that we have a days drive to get to the south coast. :cry: (And you southern softies won't travel to VW Northwest :wink: )

To be honest, we haven't thought of which way to cross the chanel yet.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
six-o-one
17 years ago
I've booked a room in BC but nothing on-route yet.

😃
'50 Karmann
17 years ago
Gosh,by the time it comes around it will be twenty years and five Bad Cambergs i will have visited since my first.Where did the time go,it's making me feel old(and before Chris chips in,Yes i know i am old)
The best one so far was when we drove in our mini convoy just the five cars we took it really slow and made sure we enjoyed ourselves.Even if we did feel very rough each morning.
Every one i talk to when they have arrived in a big convoy with a time limit say they are knackered on arrival.
Rather take it slow and count it as my annual holiday.
If anyone feels like joining us we will probably do the same this time,limit it to six cars kick back and just enjoy.
Chris
17 years ago
Well said that (old) man.......... :wink:

To be honest, the trip to Bad Camberg was just as enjoyable as the show itself. No hassle, no rush, stop when you wanted, where you wanted.

There was more of a queue in the middle lane where cars were slowing down to take pictures and wave to us :shock: ...FANTASTIC :roll:

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
six-o-one
17 years ago
How about a Heb in your convoy?

The BBT convoy was hard work for me. I was leaving enough space to stop (cable brakes) and as soon as I did, someone would overtake me and I would have to drop back further. :?

I spent most of the journey towards the back of the convoy and when I got to the rest stops, everyone started off again! :oops:

Good fun though! 😃

How about overnight in Kent on Wednesday then Train from Ashford Thursday Morning and drive into Germany for Thursday night and BC sometime on Friday?

What do you reckon? 😎
Chris
17 years ago
I had heard stories of people going as fast as they could to get to the front so they could be behind Bob. :roll: And if you were too slow then tough. :shock:
pre67vw
17 years ago
Not sure about that, but I think Bob was a little too fast to Hessisch - I guess his Denzil is a little faster than the split's on the convoy. Speed was pretty good when he was in his Rometsch to Camberg.

The antics at BBT last time around were probably worth missing - a kdf and a v8 in a drag race down the industrial estate :roll:

Fantastic to see Paul's '46 driving along though...

Here's a reminder... 

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
17 years ago
I'd heard that about certain folks foot down and dive in behind Bob.
Malc you are more than welcome,sounds good, pretty much as we did it,the time i mentioned.
May not be the biggest convoy ever but it smacks of quality.
50 Hebmuller
50 Karmann
47 CCG
A few more cars to make up the half doz and things will be great.
Enough for support if any major breakdowns occur,but not too many so we can't find a hotel.(Have you got a spare 50 rooms,please?) :oops:
So it looks like an overnighter in Kent one mid way thru' Germany and a slow drive into Camberg Fri lunch.
Have you sorted a hotel in Camberg Malc?John Maxwell did ours with the Historic VW club.
six-o-one
17 years ago
I asked Charles O if they were organising anything and he said no!

:?

I have a hotel booked in BC 😃
'50 Karmann
17 years ago

I have a hotel booked in HO 😃

"six-o-one" wrote:

See you in 2009 Malc,we are off to BC
'50 Karmann
17 years ago
CHARLES WHO?
pre67vw
17 years ago

See you in 2009 Malc, we are off to BC

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
six-o-one
17 years ago

See you in 2009 Malc,we are off to BC

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

Ahh, I didn't say when I had a hotel in HO booked for! :wink:
'50 Karmann
17 years ago
Yes Malc, Charlie,our beloved chairman.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
six-o-one
17 years ago
Yep, was talking to him in Hessisch Oldendorf about organising a proper Club convoy to Bad Camberg and he reckoned it wasn't worth doing as most people want to make their own way.

That's fine if you're an HO/BC vet but quite a daunting journey to make for the first time, especially if you have never driven much in Europe.

The least they could do is publish a guid to visiting Bad Camberg and Hessisch Oldendorf, hotels, routes etc.

Now there's an idea for this site Rob! :wink:
pre67vw
17 years ago

The least they could do is publish a guide to visiting Bad Camberg and Hessisch Oldendorf, hotels, routes etc.

Now there's an idea for this site Rob! :wink:

"six-o-one" wrote:

If anyone wants to write one I'll find somewhere to put it, I'm not an experienced international show goer having only been to one of each.

On the other hand, I like Camberg as it is - lets not facilitate it being over-run with cal-lookers etc. Lets just keep it our little secret :wink:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Chris
17 years ago
Hey Malc, you must be one of the chosen few to have Charlie Boy talk to you at Hessisch last year. We went on to Wolfsburg after the show and he even managed to ignore us there aswell :shock: :shock: :shock:
He finally spoke at stanford Hall this year, but only'cos we turned up in the '47and were putting it in the HistoricVW display. :roll:
I know he can't be expected to know every member of the historicVW club, but as chairman you'd think he'd make an effort. :cry:
Have spoken loads of times to the other commitee (yes, I know it's spelt wrong !! No spell checker available. :roll: ) members and they're all sound. 🙂

So, now to find out who lives in Kent that can put us up for the night..... :wink:

six-o-one
17 years ago

Hey Malc, you must be one of the chosen few to have Charlie Boy talk to you at Hessisch last year.

"SDV" wrote:

He didn't want to. He was doing his best to ignore me but I was persistent! :wink:

I reckon he's just shy! :oops: