Andy Sparks
17 years ago
20k is top dollar (well Euro) for a car that needs a new hood etc.

When i see more presentable US cars for $20K and i get $1.8 = £1, instead of 1.4e = £1. I know you get what you pay for, but i was offered a lovely 1955 for £10k.

Think i know where my money is going.

I agree about the 1951, i have seen this in the flesh and it has had a hard life.

Thanks for all your help, will keep on looking, maybe at Camberg . Or failing that £10k is a good start to a doposit to a house.

You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
2splits
17 years ago
Agreed. Best to keep your money ready and find that perfect car!
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
2 splits - I suspect you and I may have differing opinions about what constitutes "nicely" restored! 😃 I'm a bit more "what the hell - it goes" myself. 😃 😃

The tack strips - can they be comfortably installed after the rest of the top is completed? I can see myself having a really hard time getting hold of any and it would perhaps be useful to be able to fit them later.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Any good?

www.autoscout24.de/home/index/detail.asp?ts=6405511

Edit - ach - sorry, bad link. Anyway, search on the site, theres an Oval Kab there, for 22,800euro, might not be too rubbish. 😃
UserPostedImage
six-o-one
17 years ago

The tack strips - can they be comfortably installed after the rest of the top is completed? I can see myself having a really hard time getting hold of any and it would perhaps be useful to be able to fit them later.

"JD" wrote:

Mine is missing the front one too so I'm on the lookout as well.
They can be fitted after you fit a new hood, they are just secured with small tacks.

😃
2splits
17 years ago

"six-o-one" wrote:

Mine is missing the front one too so I'm on the lookout as well.
They can be fitted after you fit a new hood, they are just secured with small tacks.

😃

"JD" wrote:

Exactly. Another option is to get the wolfsburg west ones, and fool with them and see if you like them. They may just do.

Good luck! If I see a set (and I have seen them come up), I'll buy them and offer them here.

It was funny, when my top guy restored my top, he couldn't believe I wanted them on (and spent a TON of time restoring them). He said he "threw out hundreds of them" over the years!

Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
I was at a small show here at the weekend, and I may have a source for these strips in brass, or aluminium. They need chroming and a bit of shaping apparently but its better than a poke in the eye.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Oh yes - This weekend I also learned that Cabrio semaphores are not the same as normal ones. Great! :roll:

Anyone have any they want to sell me?

The bloke I was talking to (proud owner of both a `54 and a `49 Kabrio!! :shock: ) said that he had an idea that someone was remaking the lenses for these semaphores. Anyone know who? He seemed to think that you could get away with modifiying a regular set, if you had the lenses to fit them to. Second choice for sure, but a mans gotta do...

cheers

UserPostedImage
2splits
17 years ago
Yeah, they are different. Longer than the sedans so they can be seen past the rear fender.

Finding a set is really tough, and really expensive.

Best guy to ask is Matt at Matt's Bug Parts in Canada.

https://www.mattsparts.com/semaphores/semaphores.htm 

He has original ones from time-to-time.

Also regarding the repro lenses, here you go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=332801 
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Thanks 2splits! I've a feeling I'd be stuffed without your help!!
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Wow! Great. Thanks. 😃
UserPostedImage
Jules
17 years ago

Oh yes - This weekend I also learned that Cabrio semaphores are not the same as normal ones. Great! :roll:

"JD" wrote:

I remember spending a quiet moment with a Pair of NOS Kabrio semaphores, it was a while ago!

I also remember having a box of 10 (or might have been 20) NOS normal type semaphores. It was one of those cool blue box's and each semaphore was wrapped in paper.
2splits
17 years ago

"Jules" wrote:

I remember spending a quiet moment with a Pair of NOS Kabrio semaphores, it was a while ago!

I also remember having a box of 10 (or might have been 20) NOS normal type semaphores. It was one of those cool blue box's and each semaphore was wrapped in paper.

"JD" wrote:

Yeah, no kidding. Too me a LONG LONG time to find a NOS set for my 55 vert;

UserPostedImage
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
Thats right - taunt me with pictures of your rare stuff! 😞

😃

A bloke I was talking to at the weekend was telling me that he fixed the rear wooden bow onto the body of his car with some big bolts from underneath. This meant that he can now remove the roof from the car to do paint or bodywork without having to pull out one hundred nails. Seemed like a good idea to me, since I need a roof pretty soon, but I'm not really ready to do any body work just yet. Any comments? Or is this a daft idea?

cheers
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
17 years ago
Mine is held on with bolts, how is your's held on?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
On my 63 its nailed through tabs IIRC. Guess the `58 is the same. Maybe its bolted as well. I could have lost something in translation (happens!). Maybe he just meant leave the nails out and only use the bolts. Are they accessible from underneath without pulling the headliner out? It would be very handy.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago
As promised earlier, a link to a source for brass tack strip profiles. The first one on the page I guess. Need to fit the nails, solder and shape the ends and get them chromed afterwards, but it looks like the proper stuff.

https://www.dbnachfertigung.de/Profile3.htm 

Anyone fancy getting a batch of finished strips made up (for the shop Jules!! hint hint!! 😃 ) as it looks like a lot of work to do individually.

And here for ally versions, under "Alu Leisten"

https://www.seidel-profile.de/ 
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
17 years ago

On my 63 its nailed through tabs IIRC. Guess the `58 is the same. Maybe its bolted as well. I could have lost something in translation (happens!). Maybe he just meant leave the nails out and only use the bolts. Are they accessible from underneath without pulling the headliner out? It would be very handy.

"JD" wrote:

They must have changed it then? My '65 its bolted on and I'm not aware of any tabs or nails on mine. Mine didn't have a headliner, but I would think that it would cover up access to the tops of the bots. You'd have to modify somehow so the bolts were captive and you didn't need access to them.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
17 years ago

As promised earlier, a link to a source for brass tack strip profiles. The first one on the page I guess. Need to fit the nails, solder and shape the ends and get them chromed afterwards, but it looks like the proper stuff.

https://www.dbnachfertigung.de/Profile3.htm 

Anyone fancy getting a batch of finished strips made up (for the shop Jules!! hint hint!! 😃 ) as it looks like a lot of work to do individually.

And here for ally versions, under "Alu Leisten"

https://www.seidel-profile.de/ 

"JD" wrote:

Cool... the 2nd site has aluminium ones (Alu-Leisten) - would these polish up with no need for chrome?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW