Toby
  • Toby
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
I am currently rebuilding a 1500cc engine that was in my 1964 beetle. I have now discovered that i need to replace the flywheel as the teeth are badly damaged.

I have been told that there are 3 different sized flywheels: 200mm 12v, 180mm 12v and a 180mm 6v. I have measured my flywheel and it is 180mm, as this car was originally 6v (now converted to 12v) I am assuming that I need the 180mm 6v? Although I have since been told that I could use the 180mm 12v, grind out a lug in the gearbox and replace the starter motor with the 12v version.

Seeing the 180mm flywheel 6v or 12v seem to be like rocking horse poo, can I use the 200mm and replace the clutch and starter motor?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hi Toby, welcome to the forum. 😃

Are you running the original 6 volt starter on 12 volt?

You can count the teeth on the flywheel, 6 volt will have 109 teeth, 12 volt will have 132 teeth.

If you swap to a 200mm clutch and flywheel you will have to grind the inside of the gearbox slightly to get the flywheel to turn. When you offer-up the engine with the bigger flywheel, turn the engine over by hand and the flywheel will mark the bell housing where it's touching.

I think the bush in the gearbox for the end of the 12v starter is different too?
Toby
  • Toby
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
Thanks for help, much appreciated!! 😃
Toby
  • Toby
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
After checking the flywheel it has 109 teeth, so I think the previous owner must have changed the original 1200 lump over to the 1500 and I suspect to save time he used the original flywheel.

So am I now correct in saying that the flywheel for a 1500cc engine is the 200mm? And that in order to switch it over correctly I will need to buy the following: 200mm flywheel, 200mm clutch, 12v starter motor and bush?
six-o-one
17 years ago
This is from memory so don't quote me...

I think some of the first 1500 beetles from '67 were 6 volt and some were 12 volt but retained the 180mm 109 tooth flywheel and had a special 12 volt version of the 6v style starter motor! :?

later 1500 engines would have the 200mm clutch.

I think there may be a difference with the clutch release bearing on your gearbox too? It might be worth talking to someone like Barclay at Status VW parts . He has the 6 volt style 12 volt starters if you do want to keep a 180mm clutch but should know what else you need to change if you go the 200mm route.