• Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
Any ideas? please contact
[email protected]
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hi, welcome to the forum.

https://forums.pre67vw.co.uk/viewtopic.aspx?forum=5 

It's probably worth getting in touch with overrestored and Beeskow54 on this forum who may be able to offer some help locating a new screen.

😎
zelensis61
17 years ago
Hey, Welcome

Beeskow front window is the same as on a goliath type car..
Try Family Grundmann in Hessisch Oldebdorf, They are the best source to get info on Rometsch cars because they bought the whole Workshop in 2001 with every part that was left over.

Christian shows up here sometimes. Fantakid.
Beeskow54 his car is restored by Grundmann.

Greetings. Peter
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
overrestored
17 years ago
He's already contacted me... Mac Jones used to have windshield rubber... But I think it may be gone.

Edited 2009... Windshields DO NOT come from Goliaths... as we thought earlier... they are unique we are pretty sure now.

Eric  6028.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
protect me from what I want
overrestored
14 years ago
This is a cross section of the Beeskow windshield rubber in my car... from the Mac Jones' / Phil Leadley reproduction run now all used up. I think this is the same that Mark M has in his car as well.

UserPostedImage
overrestored
14 years ago
At the bottom of the frame... that part is where the glass goes... then on the right hand side... next to the ruler... is where the chrome trim goes... the opening at the top of this frame seems to just be a way for the rubber lip to flex (nothing actually goes in here) and the opening on the left is where the rubber stretches over the metal seam on the car.

I also have all the other rubber sections and will post eventually.

SplitPersonality
14 years ago
One of my favorite topics.... The windscreen is NOT Goliath, the rubber is NOT Goliath, the chrome is NOT Goliath. All of the above were Rometsch unique, glass mfg by SEKURIT. The Grundmanns have reproduced the rubber profile for the Split Window Beeskow, this is different from the curved screen Beeskow. VolksAuthority in San Francisco is planning a repro of the Beeskow Curved screen profile, details later.
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
overrestored: Can you post a picture of your windscreen chrome profile? Judging from your rubber profile picture, I am starting to believe they actually used 2 variants of the rubber/chrome as well....
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
Some input: THE RUBBER PROFILE - ORIGINAL

The picture that "overrestored" posted above is from the 90ies USA-reproduction run. It is a copy of the original Rometsch unique rubber for the curved screen Beeskow cars.

I have got samples of all rubber profiles that is reproduced in Germany for the Goliath car and none of them is even close to fit the Beeskow.

Here is a picture of a "never-been-out" original rubber profile in a 1954 curved screen Beeskow. It is torn on the inside of the window, but otherwise look very very similar to the repro profile in the post above. Note how the "double lip"-sealing principle against the body is packed and tucked.

UserPostedImage

SplitPersonality
14 years ago
Some input: THE RUBBER PROFILE - REPRO

As mentioned above - there are repro available from the Grundmanns for the Split Screen Beeskow - this is different to the curved screen cars.

Some alternatives for repro curved screen Beeskow rubber:

1) The 90ies repro run in the States by Ladley/Jones. Apparently this is now all used and gone...it had some fitment issues, but worked.

2) VolksAuthority in San Francisco is investigating a new run of an improved profile, reproduced in the USA. Timelines and availability not known at this time.

3) I have collected numerous samples of very similar rubber profiles from period correct other European cars...being reproduced today by 2 companies in Germany and 1 company in Holland. These are high qulaity reproductions, very nice profiles.. I basically fetched about 30 profiles that was very similar to Rometsch and have tried them on my curved screen Beeskow car. One of them fit very very nice and is very similar to the original Romestch profile...except it has "multiple-grooves"-sealing principle against the body (like original VW), instead of the "double-lip"-sealing like Rometsch. Visually it is very similar, although a little bit wider. I am awaiting full length sample of this profile and will try it with glass and chrome and publish the results.

Here is the profile and part number:
(I will make and post a better profile pic later)
UserPostedImage

From this company in Holland:
https://www.carauto-oldtimer.be/en/index.html 
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
Some input: THE CHROME PROFILE - ORIGINAL

Here are some pictures of an original windscreen chrome profile from a 1954 Beeskow. It is a fully pre-formed, welded brass profile that has been chromed.

I tried the scetch the profile in red on the bad picture at the bottom. Unusual, hard to make piece this...

The visible part of it is about 12 mm wide. Notice how it is shaped...meaning that all of the visible area of it will fit to the inside of the groove in the rubber...i.e. not central in the rubber profile.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
Some input: THE CHROME PROFILE - REPRO

From the excellent company "Doepper Profile" in Germany, one can buy by the meter chrome profile "fuller" for the rubber around the windscreen of old Mercedes cars. This is 12mm below and will snap into place in the repro rubber as pictured above. My plan has been to buy this, shape it and form it and put it into the rubber above. 12 mm wide, so the looks will be as original.

Any and all inputs on this topic very much appreciated. Many owners out there needing these parts.

https://www.doepper-profile.de/ 

UserPostedImage
overrestored
14 years ago
I can't post a picture of my chrome because it is in the car... and it is so much work to get into the car that I am afraid to do it again! I wish I had taken a photo when it was out of the car.

Your red drawing is the same as what I have. It is chromed Brass and one piece... one big oval of chrome. The "L" extention of the metal goes towards the center of the windshield..

Below are some shot of the chrome in the car... in the one of the top corner... you can see how the chrome is not able to push all the way down into the rubber. I have just left it this way... because I was too afraid of breaking the windshield if I pushed it in any harder. It isn't really noticeable unless you really look at the car closely.

The other two shots are just off the cool decals on the windshield from the prior owners.

I always wonder who the first owner was...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
SplitPersonality
14 years ago
Here is a picture of the profile I have identified as very similar to the original. Part number and supplier as above.

It is the first time I am able to compare to it to an original - as in overrestored's photo above. It is very very similar, I feel confident it will work - and as soon as I have my full length order here I will prove it. The alu strip above will also fit this profile.

Total visible width is about 35 mm for both. The major difference is that were the original has "double fat lip"-seal against the body...the repro has "multiple small ribs" as on original VW rubber.

UserPostedImage