overrestored
17 years ago
Did anybody see this 1950 karmann sell at the Gooding Auction in Pebble Beach/Monterey yesterday???

I am wondering what it sold for???

https://www.goodingco.com/auctions/catalogues/pebble06/lot72.html 

Eric
protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
overrestored
17 years ago
I just heard it went for 25k US! (plus auction fees)

yes... you heard that right... $25,000. how many of you would have bid higher!... a lot higher.

protect me from what I want
six-o-one
17 years ago
pre67vw
17 years ago
Sounds about right to me... :?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
17 years ago

Sounds about right to me... :?

"pre67vw" wrote:

Come on Rob.
Get yourself upto speed 😃 thats about £13,250 + fees.
Very reasonable
pre67vw
17 years ago

Come on Rob.
Get yourself upto speed 😃 thats about £13,250 + fees.
Very reasonable

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

With our current exchange rate, it works out pretty good for us - but it wasn't that long ago the pound was roughly equal to the dollar. Just because our exchange rate is good doesn't mean the car is worth twice as much - its still $25k (Which still sounds about right to me - nicely mellowed older restoration).
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
17 years ago
OK Rob.
But lets look at recent prices whether they have been optomistic or not.
X Jozi Toth car (50 cab) asking price $75,000
Dr Macs car (52 cab) interest from Japan at $125,000.
Here in the U.K Sean Geddes '52 cab £40.000 Yes thats £££££'s

I'm sure some of our US visitors would agree the car was cheap.They expected the car to go for it's selling price X 3.
My Father used to tell me how there was $4 to the £ many years ago,imagine that,no use today though.
The fact is the car could have been stood on a U.K dock for approx £15.000 and that's a steal.
Rarer than a Heb and we all know what they are selling for to-day.
That was the bargain of the year,and we all missed out.
pre67vw
17 years ago
You're probably right. But the price doesn't surprise me, outside of VW circles they're not seen as valuable cars, its only VW people that think these cars are worth the money - it was probably bought by a collector for his wife :wink:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
17 years ago

You're probably right. But the price doesn't surprise me, outside of VW circles they're not seen as valuable cars, its only VW people that think these cars are worth the money - it was probably bought by a collector for his wife :wink:

"pre67vw" wrote:

Just supply and demand, but those who have the demand need to be told there's a supply!

As you say, it's a question of marketing and letting the right VW people know it is for sale.

I can only assume that the seller wasn't bothered by how much money they got for their car, isn't particulary into vintage VWs or maybe just needed to get some cash fast! I'm sure there are people in the States who would have offered a bit more money if they had known it was for sale.

2splits
17 years ago

"pre67vw" wrote:

Same auction last year produced a bus for sale for $99,000....

That was a steal.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
heb623
17 years ago
If you even can't afford a chain on your BMX you certainly can't afford to buy such a Cabriolet!!! :?

:twisted: ET (the mean one)
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
heb623
17 years ago
If you even can't afford a chain on your BMX you certainly can't afford to buy such a Cabriolet!!! :?

heb623
17 years ago
If you even can't afford a chain on your BMX you certainly can't afford to buy such a 1950 Karmann Cabriolet!!! :?
Hahaha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(sorry Rob I can't help it, it's stronger than myself :roll: )

pre67vw
17 years ago

OK Rob.
But lets look at recent prices whether they have been optomistic or not.
X Jozi Toth car (50 cab) asking price $75,000
Dr Macs car (52 cab) interest from Japan at $125,000.
Here in the U.K Sean Geddes '52 cab £40.000 Yes thats £££££'s

I'm sure some of our US visitors would agree the car was cheap.They expected the car to go for it's selling price X 3.
My Father used to tell me how there was $4 to the £ many years ago,imagine that,no use today though.
The fact is the car could have been stood on a U.K dock for approx £15.000 and that's a steal.
Rarer than a Heb and we all know what they are selling for to-day.
That was the bargain of the year,and we all missed out.

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

Then again there was this '51 karmann  - a standard karmann (very rare). This sat for ages with no buyer and even went on eBay for a while without hitting the reserve. Works out at just over £12k ($23k). Change the bumpers and tail lights, you've got a very nice rare car.

I know you've invested a lot of money into yours, so you're no doubt very happy with the silly prices being touted around - but lets not get carried away, I still need to buy one :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
17 years ago
then there was this '51 karmann  - a standard karmann (very rare). This sat for ages with no buyer and even went on eBay for a while without hitting the reserve. Works out at just over £12k ($23k). Change the bumpers and tail lights, you've got a very nice rare car.

I know you've invested a lot of money into yours, so you're no doubt very happy with the silly prices being touted around - but lets not get carried away, I still need to buy one :wink:

Well they are then Rob,buy this one.And you can always tell me i paid toooo much for mine.I've seen splits (ordinary tintops) sell for more than the cabrio in auction.And tons of buses sell for more, and they are just not as rare as the bus boys are trying to crack on.
gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago

Sounds about right to
me... :?

"pre67vw" wrote:

i agree sounds about right when you think a 57 rolls royce is up for sale for just a shade under £20000 and you get a lot more car for your money.
And they say vw is a cheap and affordable classic!
IT IS GETTING BEOND A JOKE :!: :!: :!: :!: :evil:
pre67vw
17 years ago

when you think a 57 rolls royce is up for sale for just a shade under £20000 and you get a lot more car for your money.
And they say vw is a cheap and affordable classic!
IT IS GETTING BEOND A JOKE :!: :!: :!: :!: :evil:

"gipf" wrote:

Exactly! When you start looking beyond VW's and start seeing what £20k-£25k can buy you it makes you realise how silly its got.

like this for £23k:

https://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/classifieds 
UserPostedImage

or, for £20k you could buy ALL 4 of these:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago

Exactly! When you start looking beyond VW's and start seeing what £20k-£25k can buy you it makes you realise how silly its got.

like this for £23k:

https://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/classifieds 
UserPostedImage

"pre67vw" wrote:

Why would you want one of these things? Not rare, not fast, not a sports car by any stretch. Just a poseur mobile that trades on looking a bit like a 300SL. Think `50s/`60s SLK and you are about there.

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
17 years ago

Why would you want one of these things?

"JD" wrote:

I don't... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
17 years ago
How about a nice 1969 Jaguar XKE Series II Roadster for £10k..

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW