michel seels
17 years ago
Hello,
I have a nice 59-er still running on 6 volt.
This beauty will now be stored for the winterperiod.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to help my battery through this period in good condition ?

Thanx
Michel
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hi, welcome to the forum.

There was an article in a Roundabout VW club newsletter a while ago which might be of interest. It's a pdf file.

https://www.mkvw.co.uk/assets/news/02/nov02.pdf 
ABVWC
17 years ago
Frost do a battery saver that will take care of 6V Batteries. Problem is it's for UK use (240v and three pin plug).

Here is the link:
https://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=7998 

UserPostedImage

Halfords also sell these things but they are only good for 12v :?
2splits
17 years ago
Bruce Braun wrote this a few years ago. Very good guide

1) Take batteries out of the car in winter when you store a car in a cold climate. The battery will become discharged, become less acidic
(more water) and may freeze then expand and crack.

2) Keep your battery watered during very long drives and during very warm weather.

3) Batteries will last longer in more stable climates (San Diego, Seattle, etc.). Batteries will live shorter lives in extreme climates (Minnesota, Phoenix).

4) Cold weather reduces the output voltage (less cranking power). Hot
weather increases the output voltage but decreases longevity.

5) If possible, avoid allowing AAA to jump start your old VW with
their huge truck-mounted battery packs. They can blow fuses and bulbs and even melt wires if connected long enough.

6) If you do not own a 6 volt battery charger, buy one. Use it monthly
during periods when you do not drive your car. Check the water level before you start to charge the battery. Use distilled water.

6.3) A battery left to sit for three months will form a barrier on the exterior of the lead plates which makes it difficult for the battery to take a
good deep charging.

6.5) Avoid the little "tendor" chargers which supposedly trickle charge your battery and keep it healthy. These devices will dry-out your
battery and cause an early death. I have heard this story over and over again from friends and family.

Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356