48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
17 years ago
This is my latest venture, freshly brought back from the Ruhr region of Germany, last weekend...my new May 1959 Sunroof Standard.
Repainted about ten years ago in L469 Anthracite Grey, this car was specially ordered at the factory with a sunroof and finished in a 1959 Deluxe colour, L14 Reseda Green. Never welded and has its original engine along with the usual Standard 'technology'.
Originally delivered to Mahag in Munich.
😃
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
Rear view...  7714.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
17 years ago
Mmmmm, very nice!!

😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
17 years ago
That looks like a right tidy mota you've got ther mate! 😎

Is you're old '60 still in the UK?
I never got to see that one, but hopefully I'll get a chance to check this one out sometime soon.

M
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
No, the 1960 is now in Japan. For a while, I thought I had nearly made a mistake selling it. It was a lovely original car...
Here is how the 1959 might have originally looked. I am going to get pictures of what it was like before restoration, in the early 90s. Apparently, it still had the original Reseda green paint.
I am also in talks with the VW museum about the colour of hubcaps, door handles and bumpers. Nobody seems to know exactly. I would assume that silver was the obvious colour but a previous owner claims that the car, when it was green, had factory-painted green hubcaps with a black VW logo. The mystery continues... Any further info welcome!  7721.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
six-o-one
17 years ago
I think it would look more like this... :wink:

7746.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Beetle_Mania
17 years ago
What a fantastic looking car, I look forward to seeing it around next year. I believe that makes it four standard ragtops in the UK now, unless anyone knows different? Are standard ragtops getting a bit common I ask myself....... :?
six-o-one
17 years ago
Another version with silver hubcaps and bumper... 😎

7751.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
Well, there are a few standard ragtop splits about and ovals, about a good dozen in all. I have some in my photo album.
However, I have searched high and low and have only found 3 other square window standards anywhere...yet.
Lovely rendering Malcolm! Don't know if it's quite true yet. I am convinced the factory would much rather have used silver painted accessories rather than specially commission hubcaps, handles and bumpers in Reseda Green. Can you imagine the cost? Why bother doing this, when the owner could easily buy a Deluxe sunroof in Reseda Green?
I am still waiting to see the pics of the car when it was green...It had a white waistline apparently.
Now, another problem. I have the original seat covers from the car. The rear is fine, so are the two front seats. The two backrests have tears and damage.
Does anyone know of someone who could do some invisible mending or weave an identical yarn based on an original sample? I really want to put the original seat covers back on their frame! :cry:  7752.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
These were the immaculate ones on my 60 Standard!
Any leads welcome...! 😃  7753.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
six-o-one
17 years ago
With chrome bumper and hubcaps!

Sorry, just bored at work!! :?  7754.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
Here's a nice 1952 Standard Sunroof I know in Germany.
For sale too... 😎  7755.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
six-o-one
17 years ago
This gives all the colour refs for the interior to match Jupiter grey.

I'd be interested in buying some vinyl to retrim my seats and door panels if anyone knows a good match?

Is this the same 'P135 medium grey' material you are looking for?  7763.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Its great how the base models come to get their day eventually is'nt it.
Lovely car.

re. the repair, I would personally find someone good locally who makes curtains or a dressmaker from home to sew a piece of something similar weight/col into that corner underlapped then zigzag or run lots and lots of tight small stitch rows back & forwards going with the weave with matching thread from new to old just to get the strength back up and blend the repair across.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
Thanks for the suggestions...
Yes, Malcolm, it's the P135 Medium Grey I want!
Make no mistake though, your car should have all vinyl seats, being an export standard.
Only German cars had the vinyl/cloth combination.
Having said that, Richard showed me a 59 Swiss standard with the same seats as mine.
Standard split
17 years ago
Have you seen this gem 4 sale on the Samba (BBT). Good pics of car and interior, seats etc shown there.

This is my choice for a rectangular window Standard, not shiny, and with no sunroof which I think ruins the car's nice roof curve. If it was RHD I'd be over there :wink:  7780.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
Yes John, whatever...
Anyway, that car was sold nearly a month ago.
Here are some pics of my car under restoration. It was still Reseda Green and the hubcap seems to be green too...
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
try again...!
48REME
  • 48REME
17 years ago
😞
pre67vw
17 years ago

Have you seen this gem 4 sale on the Samba (BBT). Good pics of car and interior, seats etc shown there.

This is my choice for a rectangular window Standard, not shiny, and with no sunroof which I think ruins the car's nice roof curve. If it was RHD I'd be over there :wink:

"Standard split" wrote:

I'd take the shiny one any day, and the sunroof in the summer is nearly as good as a cabrio :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW