goaty
  • goaty
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
hi ive got a engine and box and the code on the gearbox starts with ea but i cant find any listing for that code all so its either auto or semi auto i think theres no fly wheel but could i change and put a fly wheel in and make it manual if not does any one know where i can buy parts for the gear box theres a plate in side with 3 or 4 lugs on it and ones broke off and worn a hole in plate all so the drive shafts seem to be smaller in length its not like my mates car theres like wish bone s on it any help would be appreciated if need be ille list my phone number and either ilr ring you or you ring me if you can help ime desperate
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hi, welcome to the forum.
VW semi-auto gearbox codes start with 'B' so it won't be one of those and they are all IRS with a CV joint at both ends of each half-shaft. Beetles never got a fully automatic box so if it's fully auto it could be a type4 box from a varient, but not sure on the EA code either, sorry.

If it is auto or semi auto then you're stuck with that, no way to change it.
You can pick up second hand gearboxes fairly cheeply if you need another one?

Could you post any pictures of your gearbox and engine and I'll try and work out what they're from...

:roll:
goaty
  • goaty
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
cheers mate have since found out its a 1967 t1 flat screen beetle with irs back end do you know if i got a manual box and drive shafts if they would fit and would it be same fitting for gearbox cheers mick
six-o-one
17 years ago
The Semi-auto IRS gearbox uses the same drive shafts as any other IRS VW gearbox and mounts into the frame the same, so you can use parts from 1302, 1303, 1302S and 1303S (1600cc) or Type3 IRS gearboxs from a fastback or squareback.

A manual box from one of the above may be a better option as the semi-auto engine and box require the fitting of a servo, tank and a different oil pump and intake manifold to work and these parts are no longer available new, and very hard to find second hand.
goaty
  • goaty
  • Guest Topic Starter
17 years ago
cheers mate nice one think i would be better with manual thanks for all your help