1952-11G
17 years ago
I got a bunch done on the split this weekend - it was beautifuly clear and 72 degrees. In my humble opinion, there are two great reasons to live in California. First: the weather. Second: How great early license plates look. I have the '52 tab that goes in the corner of the plates, but they're a little scuffed up. The plates on the car are unrestored and in original paint. Not quite NOS, but pretty incredible regardless.

I'm only waiting on a few trinkets to have this heap running. Heater boxes from Zarwerks, telefunken radio brackets from Brezelwerks, and running boards from anywhere.

Enjoy!
 15954.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
1952-11G
17 years ago
another pic...new bearings and brakes this weekend, it all went together like a swiss watch. This car will be driven, not just lugged around on a trailer. (that's what they're for, right?)

We had a going away party for a co-worker at my house, and my boss saw the volkswagen and related materials. He commented: "Do you like old cars? I have a 1961 Porsche 356 super 90 I'm thinking about selling, I bought it in 1964 from the first owner..." ( I think he said super 90, don't quote me I don't know porsches so well).  8793.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
2splits
17 years ago
Looking good Will! Looks like it will be ready for the Classic?
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
vintagevw
17 years ago
Nice car, they are making very nice repro runningboards for splits now but I can't remember there name.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
1952-11G
17 years ago
Yes, the car wil be ready for the classic (probably ready by Kelley park for that matter). Transporting it might be an issue, as I'm currently sans a tow vehicle. We'll see though.

six-o-one
17 years ago

This car will be driven, not just lugged around on a trailer. (that's what they're for, right?)

"1952-11G" wrote:

Transporting it might be an issue, as I'm currently sans a tow vehicle. We'll see though.

"1952-11G" wrote:

:?: :roll: :wink:

I know you have larger distances to travel, but both statements in the same thread!

Welcome to the pre67vw forum. 😎
1952-11G
17 years ago
Good point six-o-one. 😎 Bring your beautiful heb over and we'll drive together...I'll even buy the beer.

There's just a SLIGHT difference between an afternoon country drive, and a 450 mile trek down the largest interstate in California, with trucks driving 80mph. And (for those not familiar with California) there is a steep grade known as "the grapvine" just before Los Angeles; many modern cars overheat due to this incline, forget about a bone stock split!

...I'm thinking my next project needs to be a split vert, with 356 brakes and an okrasa. THEN we'll talk about driving the length of the state.
2splits
17 years ago
Lets see more pics
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
'50 Karmann
17 years ago

Nice car, they are making very nice repro runningboards for splits now but I can't remember there name.

"vintagevw" wrote:

Yes, Kafer Nostalgie.
Trying to get a set to Will,but the USPO don't like to deliver these and have sent me them back ! 😶
pre67vw
17 years ago

Good point six-o-one. 😎

There's just a SLIGHT difference between an afternoon country drive, and a 450 mile trek down the largest interstate in California, with trucks driving 80mph.

"1952-11G" wrote:

This is six-o-one on the 490 mile journey from its home in the UK to Hessisch Oldendorf Germany... :wink:  8811.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
17 years ago

Good point six-o-one. 😎

There's just a SLIGHT difference between an afternoon country drive, and a 450 mile trek down the largest interstate in California, with trucks driving 80mph.

"pre67vw" wrote:

This is six-o-one on the 490 mile journey from its home in the UK to Hessisch Oldendorf Germany... :wink:

"1952-11G" wrote:

We came back early on the Monday morning during the rush hour and had cars screeming past on the autobahns at way over 100mph! :shock:
1952-11G
17 years ago
Six-o-one...wow! Now THAT is fantastic.

well, looks like i'd better get working on getting the car road-worthy. If you are comfortable with that truck on the bumper of your heb then I really don't have any excuses. Cheers.
48REME
17 years ago
What is a car for, again? Ah yes, I know....driving! :wink:
1952-11G
17 years ago
thanks for the tips on the running boards. 1950 Karmann is already helping me out on that department, despite the best efforts of the US Customs Office.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
17 years ago

Good point six-o-one. 😎

"six-o-one" wrote:

This is six-o-one on the 490 mile journey from its home in the UK to Hessisch Oldendorf Germany... :wink:

"pre67vw" wrote:

We came back early on the Monday morning during the rush hour and had cars screeming past on the autobahns at way over 100mph! :shock:

"1952-11G" wrote:

You aren't kidding - you take your life in your hands on the autobahn with 30hp! I spend more time worrying about whats bombing up behind me than whats in front. I'm also super happy to see roadworks, so everyone else has to slow down to my speed. Nice to annoy truck drivers on the hills by going slower than they are though! REVENGE!! :twisted:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage