fonz
  • fonz
  • Regular Topic Starter
17 years ago
Colour - Nicht registriert

Has anyone ever seen this on a birth certificate before?
Any ideas as to why it might have this?
Is there any other way of finding out the original colour of the car?

Cheers,
Fonz  15967.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
17 years ago
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
I've heard of a few cases where the colour wasn't listed.

I would doubt there's any other way of finding the original colour, apart from digging around the car to see if any original paint still exists somewhere. If it's a UK car, you can get copies of the previous reg documents which should show the original colour, or you might be able to work out the exterior colour from the colour of the interior, if it's original.

😃
mrsherbie
17 years ago
My NZ cars came back this way too. I would guess basically anything that wasnt painted at the factory.
Research might turn it up somehow, is it a German assembled car? and as six-o-one says the interior could narrow it down a lot! What interior do you have? Fabric/vinyl/year?
😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Bert53
17 years ago
I have this on my birth certificate too.....perhaps I should say my cars birth certificate :roll:

I guess sometimes they were just too busy to record all the details. My car was built on 22nd December '53 so I guess with the rush to get to the Christmas party they weren't too bothered about recording the details for my car :lol:
fonz
  • fonz
  • Regular Topic Starter
17 years ago

My car was built on 22nd December '53 so I guess with the rush to get to the Christmas party they weren't too bothered about recording the details for my car :lol:

"Bert53" wrote:

That's funny you should say that....This car also came off the production line on the 22nd Dec! :lol:

The car isn't mine yet though, so I don't know the exact details of the interior, but I believe the original material is there.
2splits
17 years ago
If you take off your ID plate in the front, there is a good chance the original paint is behind it.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
mrsherbie
17 years ago
Get a mini maglite, get inside the boot, tip your head back with your feet hanging out over the bumper and look up where the washer motor is, no-one blasts or sands up there however keen! :lol:
mrsherbie
17 years ago
I bet thats probably true about Christmas cars! A guy who used to paint vws in the 60's in NZ at the assembly plant said they would often decide the colours to paint that day over morning coffee :shock: true!
I think because they were so far from direct German VW control they got away with it :lol: My NZ bus was original dirty pale green, Ive only seen it on a few buses over there, it doesnt match any vw colour anywhere else.
fonz
  • fonz
  • Regular Topic Starter
16 years ago
Ok.... it's been a while, but the car is now mine and I have it back home (well..... my home in Australia anyway).

I've looked most places on the car now.... even up by the wiper motor.... and the only colour I seem to be able to see is what looks like bordeaux red. I say looks like, as it seems darker than pictures I've seen of other cars this colour. At one point I almost thought it was chestnut brown.

There are a few spots which aren't this colour but they appear to be primer grey (some of the underside of the boot).

The car came off the German production line in Dec '51, before being delivered to Neue AMAG in Switzerland. So, unless anyone knows otherwise, from what I can make out it shouldn't be bordeaux red.
mrsherbie
16 years ago
:oops: I just realised in my previous posts I forgot we were in the split forum :roll: :lol: No CKD this early :lol:

Must be Bordeaux (or Chestnut brown) then? The only other dark reddy browns other than black around then were middle brown. Owen used to have a 50 in Bordeaux. My favorite colour ever 😎
fonz
  • fonz
  • Regular Topic Starter
16 years ago
Bordeaux definately is a nice colour, but didn't they stop using it in March '51.... along with mittle brun?

The vin tag has also been painted this colour, so I'm fairly certain it has been resprayed (well, in that area at least). From what I know of it I think this was done back in the 80s.

I would take off the vin tag, to check behind, but I don't fancy the idea of loosing the original rivits.