JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Anybody on here done this? I'm just wondering if a standard original 356 exhaust will fit under a Beetle rear valance.

Anything else that I should know?

thanks
JD
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Bengt H
16 years ago
I have used this muffler on my Okrasa. Its to long, you have to cut away 3-4 cm on both ends, I also had to shorten the pipes so it came nearer the engine but now it works good.
pre67vw
16 years ago
This is from "How to hot rod your VW"... (edited)

When I hear an uninitiated VW owner express a fond desire to install a Porsche engine in his bug, I know its because he does not understand whats happening in the VW high-performance field. And he's probably never priced Porsche parts either. Porsche owners who become performance nuts find that there's very little equipement for their four-cylinder engines (which aren't so powerful, it turns out) and turn to an expensive 911

When you install a porsche engine into a VW sedan, all of the engine tinwear must be cut away at both the sides and the back. The tinwear must be reconstructed after the engine is installed so that none of the exhausted hot air from the engine will be recirculated through the cooling system, just as you have to do with the VW engine.

The Porsche heater boxes do not fit, so new ones must be fabricated by grafting on VW parts. Because a Porsche muffler will not fit into a sedan, you'll have to modify its width or buy a special VW extractor exhaust with Porsche flanges and dimensions.

You may discover that there is a valve cover clearance problem when you measure the engine width. This requires additional body modifications.

Naturally, you'll want the starter and flywheel gears to mate, so you'll have to get a Porsche flywheel with the appropriate number of teeth.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
16 years ago
You can't really call me "uninitiated" after over twenty years 😃 , but this is just the sort of thing I was wanting to know. Not so direct a swap as it might be then. Hmmm...

Stay tuned for next weeks hare-brained scheme, designed to circumvent diabolical German TÜV regulations....

UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago

You can't really call me "uninitiated" after over twenty years 😃

"JD" wrote:

just quoting the book... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
16 years ago
But this bloke down the pub swore it'd drop right in... 😃
UserPostedImage
2splits
16 years ago
A 356 engine will not just drop right in.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
JD
  • JD
16 years ago
I realise - its just British humour!
UserPostedImage
2splits