Dirk Diggler
13 years ago
Hi guys and gals

Right im looking for some help, have posted on samba and VZI but not much feedback which i have found a bit odd.

Looking at having tooling made to start making heater channels.
I have a couple of NOS channels,one is from later oval(fish gill outlet but no internal tube), the second channel is a later one which im not sure of the years but im thinking 60s.
Im basicly after any info on any changes and for what years?
Is the pressing the same for early and late oval channels the same apart from the heater outlet?
Split channels the same as early oval?

The NOS channel is getting 3D scanned at the moment,then it will get simulated for pressing on computer.Should be no problem as they pressed them 50/60 years ago,but will show any possible problems before cutting any tooling.
Its all down to cost but im hoping to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

So any help would be good and if any body has an early oval with original channels on
or maybe if im lucky NOS one, just to compare the channels.
Im hoping the pressing is the same for all ovals and maybe some splits if im lucky,but i need to find out before i go to far into tooling.

Any help would be great, i will keep you all posted on progress.

Thanks Karl

www.autocrafteng.co.uk
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
As far as I know, they're the same overall shape but the heater outlets are different - splits have a round heater outlet at the front of the channel - '54/'55 had a squarer hole with a mesh behind it, Aug '55 it changed to the fish-gill design (but still at the front) and then some time in '57 the fish-gill was moved backwards to just in front of the door pillar.

I hope that helps a little... :thumbup:

Keep us up to date with it, I reckon there will be quite a few buyers when something good is available...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
If it's any help, the point at which the fish grill was moved back (which I think was either December '56 or january '57) coincided with the introduction of the internal heater pipe, which ran through channel from the junction with the heater silencer to the floor outlet and the take off for the demister vent.

Good luck with this, I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Good luck with this, I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest.

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Oh yes - you will be flooded with enquiries if they are quality pressings with all the correct details, correct SWG steel and rienforcement pieces etc.

Good luck!
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
vintagebug
13 years ago

... splits have a round heater outlet at the front of the channel

pre67vw wrote:

Just to clarify what Rob has said- the round heater outlet was also on very early Ovals, at least up to to December 1953.

Good luck with this venture, if everything is correct then there'll be loads of interest!

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Last Triumph
13 years ago
The three main elements for success in my opinion are dimensional accuracy, correct material thickness and quality, sharp, wrinkle free pressings.

I really hope this venture takes off.
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Dirk Diggler
13 years ago
Thanks guys for your replies, it all will help me out.
I will keep you posted as soon as i have any news with progress.
Seems this is the forum to get any serious matters sorted out.

Back to the channels, it would be good if anybody in the midlands area has an early oval or split with original channels on.
I could have a look and compare with this NOS one i have, as my main issus is that the actual pressing is the same from splits through to late ovals or maybe even later.
All the small details like the outlets and stuff will all be done on seperate tooling afterwards,so could hopefully do all early years if the pressings are the same.

Now am i right in thinking the bottom plate is different on splits?

So anybody in the Coventry/Birmingham area who has the time and split/oval would be very helpfull.

Thanks Karl