mrsherbie
15 years ago

Really thought that what I'd paid was the going rate, didn't know I'd bought an appreciating asset :lol: .
:wink:

Ovalbug wrote:

It was 'then' but has definitely gone up a bit since. In fact, both our beige cars even though they have not turned a wheel on the road yet in the last year+, have appreciated a fair amount since we got them! :beer: :d Three cheers for immobile indoor investments! :lol:

My first post here (must be turning to the 'other' Dark Side!!!:lol: )

Oh, and you should start a UK Oval registery:wink: Long overdue is that.

55Kab wrote:

I know I am a stocker and a lover of og paint but I also know I am speaking for everyone on this forum when I say that I am SO happy to see that uk Kab being restored with no expense spared, the best metal and some of the most skilled people in the uk :beer: :d

Unfortunately I have never owned any UK vw's since my 1303 in the *cough* late 80's :oops: I have always avoided buying old British vw's like the plague! :lol: And my own knowledge of ovals is very limited at the moment as my beige 55 is my Fisher Price 'my first oval'. So I just dont think I am a qualified person to do it really!

The register would have to include EVERY uk oval chassis number, (but not too many details so as to compromise security) the good the bad and the ugly!, I think even pans and kits and buggys on uk oval pans to be any real use, so it needs someone to do it who's interested enough to span all these cars. But I am sure it would'nt be very much work once set up.
But if anyone uses Mac and wants to use the software I used to build our site ( quite easy! ( wysiwyg ) I will happily lend it!

If no one has done it by the time our new house is finished being built by late next year then I will happily build an independent one entirely away from our own site.
(But I am hoping we can beat pre67 Rob up enough to force him to do it by submission/guilt alone :lol:)

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
pre67vw
15 years ago

(But I am hoping we can beat pre67 Rob up enough to force him to do it by submission/guilt alone :lol:)

mrsherbie wrote:

How about starting a new thread to start collecting the data? It'll be easy to build something, the hard part is getting the info.

:d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
15 years ago

I know I am a stocker and a lover of og paint but I also know I am speaking for everyone on this forum when I say that I am SO happy to see that uk Kab being restored with no expense spared, the best metal and some of the most skilled people in the uk :beer: :d

mrsherbie wrote:

Tks Anna. I've been a stealth member of pre67 for some time as my interest in VW's is broad enough to appreciate standard cars, they're just not for me!:wink: Being an OG UK RHD Oval car, the Cab is worthy of a full-on rebuild, although I do admit it will be staying Resto-Cal, although not as low and with not such a narrow front end.

I am however planning to keep irraversable pan mods to the very minimum so at a later date is could be easily returned to stock (there'll be no body mods). Once completed, the original engine, trans, front beam and a set of standard wheels will all be restored and will be kept with the car. Clearly the car is very rare, but with it in the condition it's in, I don't feel any quilt about my plans...would be different story if it had been an OG untouched car:lol:

BTW, anyone got any idea how many UK RHD Oval Cabs survive? I can count less than 10:shock: Another reason for the register!

Talking of the register, I think you are more than qualified. From reading your posts both here and on Samba, you know a lot about early VW's. However, that said, I do think that it really should form part of this website - another tab on the homepage eh Rob?:wink: :lol:
55Kab
15 years ago

How about starting a new thread to start collecting the data? It'll be easy to build something, the hard part is getting the info.

:d

pre67vw wrote:

Rob, see my post back to Anna. I do really think a UK Oval register should form part of this site as there's no other site better suited. I wondered how many RHD cars were left and posted a request for pics on Vzi.

Question is, do you include all UK Oval's or just RHD UK supplied cars?

If you were able to create a new tab on the homepage for the register I would be willing to help you out re submitting data. Easiest thing would be to submit an electronic flyer to all well known websites (Samba, RW, Vzi, Historic VWOC GB etc) asking for people to submit their info and pics. In fact thinking about it, perhaps there should be a register for all post57-pre67 Beetles - certainly UK cars.

From my wander round at Action (yeah I know, not the best event), after 15 years or so away from AC VW's, I could not believe how little the number of pre67 OG UK RHD cars wearing their original reggys there were about. Can't have been more than 15 - made me wonder from the days of events like Stonor, Detling and Bodium Castle '86...where they all gone???:shock: :lol:

In my view register should detail following with owners choice whether they want name, county and reggy listed.

YEAR CHASSIS No. REG OG COLOUR COLOUR NOW OG ENGINE? OWNER LOCATION (county) PICS NOTES

What ya reckon?

six-o-one
15 years ago

YEAR CHASSIS No. REG OG COLOUR COLOUR NOW OG ENGINE? OWNER LOCATION (county) PICS NOTES

What ya reckon?

55Kab wrote:

You would also need another heading to list modifications.

But then they wouldn't be allowed on this site! :wink:
GKL 7
15 years ago
I still maintain this should be a pre '53 ONLY website. :lol: :lol: :lol:
15 years ago

Tks Anna. I've been a stealth member of pre67 for some time as my interest in VW's is broad enough to appreciate standard cars, they're just not for me!:wink: Being an OG UK RHD Oval car, the Cab is worthy of a full-on rebuild, although I do admit it will be staying Resto-Cal, although not as low and with not such a narrow front end.

:wink: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

Hey 55Kab

Say if I asked you really nicely and said pretty please, would you consider a stock restoration then?:lol: :lol:
http://www.hannoverheritage.co.uk 
"Restorer's of classic Volkswagens"

My babies:
59' Vert
62' 23 window samba
67' Westfalia
68' Westfalia
68' Delux microbus
70' Westfalia
70' Stingray Corvette
77' Westfalia
88' T25 Panel
55Kab
15 years ago

would you consider a stock restoration then

Volkswagen Weddings wrote:

Nooooooo...too boring!:lol: :lol:
15 years ago

I think this car is well worth saving being an og british rhd car.

Whoever does buy it i've got 6 litres of standox vw diamond green solvent base for sale, bought for another job that never materialized.

Incidentely the pic of the repaired spare wheel well on here is of Paul Denham's og uk rhd 56 rag that i did a full body resto on and it needed a lot more body work than this car does believe me!! but paul wanted to save his og uk car at any cost so the extent of the repairs was'nt an issue.

Check out his resto thread.
https://restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7769 
www.trailer-queen-restos.skynetblogs.be/
For all your resto and detailing needs 07977 508907.

www.trailerqueenrestos.com
mrsherbie
15 years ago

1. Question is, do you include all UK Oval's or just RHD UK supplied cars?

2 & 3. If you were able to create a new tab on the homepage for the register I would be willing to help you out re submitting data. Easiest thing would be to submit an electronic flyer to all well known websites (Samba, RW, Vzi, Historic VWOC GB etc) asking for people to submit their info and pics. In fact thinking about it, perhaps there should be a register for all post57-pre67 Beetles - certainly UK cars.

4. In my view register should detail following with owners choice whether they want name, county and reggy listed.

What ya reckon?

55Kab wrote:

I think:

1. only include UK cars, I think OZ and SA cars are so different, let those countries run their own.

2. Top idea, or to make less work for one single person(Rob! :oops: ) we could probably just individually post on forums, especially Restowagen as those guys are hoovering all the rhd cars up faster than James Dyson's cyclone!!*! :lol: and email everyone from our own email and ask anyone we know to include it in their club newsletters? It would also be easy to mention to people whenever we see one ( gives me an excuse to chat to even more strangers! :lol: )

3. I think initially ONLY PRE-58 uk cars. There are far too many pre67 cars, maybe in future but only if Rob chose to! as I think that would be a much bigger job! (Although as 'pre67' it would be pretty cool here :d )

4. In a similar vein, I was also thinking as you mention maybe UK pre67 Karmann Kabriolets register also would be a very good idea? Could be a short list though :shock: :d Again I dont have one myself :? (I need more cars :lol: ) But Rob does! :idea:

5. My fear would be that people ( like me) might be nervous about too much info being posted on the net about their cars & location from a theft/stolen identitiy perspective. Especially as you can search the dvla with a reg no and manufacturer to show a vehicle is currently on the road.
For example we would not put our samba or pork chop on an online register!

So, I think all the info you put above is perfect! and would be ideal held on a database document offline? I would also add 1 more, BODY/MODEL DESIGNATION CODE from tag ie. 11G (53 only?) then 1/17 ( will determine sunroofs, standards etc ( etc? :shock: :lol: )
But I would only show on the net, YEAR - CHASSIS No. - MODEL - COLOUR NOW - LOCATION (county only)

what do you think?

As soon as we have all decided/agree'd we will be ready to post a 'UK RHD OVAL SURVIVORS REGISTER' thread' on this forum :beer:

You would also need another heading to list modifications.

But then they wouldn't be allowed on this site! :wink:

six-o-one wrote:

You are a WORSE troublemaker than me! :shock: (ok maybe not :lol: )

'50 Karmann wrote:

Who rattled your crystal glass of Remy Louis XIII and lit your pipe?!

pre53 only 

:lol: x

pre67vw
15 years ago

1. only include UK cars

mrsherbie wrote:

Thats the only thing I have a bit of an issue with really, I've never wanted this site to be UK specific and even less so with the demise of kabriolett.com. But I don't see why country can't be included in such a way as its easy to view just the UK cars.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
15 years ago

Thats the only thing I have a bit of an issue with really, I've never wanted this site to be UK specific and even less so with the demise of kabriolett.com. But I don't see why country can't be included in such a way as its easy to view just the UK cars.

pre67vw wrote:

I thought the whole point of this was to try and establish how many original, UK registered, RHD pre '58 cars are still in existence?

Or is it cars which have been exported too?

:?:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

I agree, that would be ideal! But in the beginning I was thinking of your workload more than anything.

All beetles up to -58 with country would be awesome as then us chav Swedish cars could be on it too! :d ( its about time these RHD snobs were put in their place anyway.. :lol: )
What about each car listing line in a different colour text dictated by its original export country?
Or export country listed but also with a small country flag next to each listing to show where it currently lives? Useful for people trying to find other Australian ovals for reference for example when restoring, as this is where so much of these cars uniqueness is lost.

Or country listed and just RHD and LHD car listings line in a different colour text?

Does any of this make sense? It does in my head but that does'nt mean a lot :lol:

So long as we stay 'beetles only', we can keep that life in the slow lane bloke excluded :lol: :lol:
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Kevin (Wiggy) took on the Kabriolett.com registers did'nt he? was it just Split beetles and Kabs? I dont remember now, but I dont remember ovals?
GKL 7
15 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yeah couldn't agree more.
That's two votes then.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I still maintain this should be a pre '83 ONLY website. :lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Excellent! Thanks I have been dying to add my '79 beetle! :beer: :lol:

GKL 7
15 years ago

Excellent! Thanks I have been dying to add my POS '79 beetle! :beer: :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

:twisted:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

:twisted:

'50 Karmann wrote:

:shock: 😳 I am a fellow hair dresser now I have a Karmann vitually identical to yours :wink: You should really be nicer to me now :d x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOIrEyAvot8 

UserPostedImage

GKL 7
15 years ago
Welcome to the club friend.:wink:
But no self respecting good looking blonde like yourself should be seen within ten feet of that pile.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Similarly Gertie, the lovely brown oval!

mrsherbie wrote:

Gertie blushed a little when I told her she was being talked about on Pre 67!
William