mrsherbie
15 years ago

She's on the cover on this months Volksworld magazine when in the hands of the previous owner.

55Kab wrote:

Although I think it will much more interesting to see 2 before and after resto features ( top reading) I thought this was an odd and unusual thing to do? when its so long since the car changed hands? I didnt realise much was done to it before you got it other than lowering? But I admit I have not read up on it.

I must admit I always find it MUCH more interesting to read about cars that have been featured many years ago, and then get re-done and featured again, even though some people dont agree with repeat features on the same car? But I like them. Billabug jumps to mind for some crazy reason!

(And yes I preferred its first look ) That old comparison drawing game! :lol: But what an ultimate cool girls car it was back then! :d

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

Interesting story Mike. There is of course bally's lovely 55 Cabrio not too far from Worthing and that was on a D plate but is LHD not RHD.

Anyone else recall this car or have any photos? Mr O?

55Kab wrote:

It was definitely RHD, I heped Mike out on it a bit and gave him a couple of spare semaphores I had for it, though they were from a saloon so didn't quite fit. :roll:

Mike wasn't hugely into the VW scene, at the time he had an AC Cobra as well as the Beetle and I think that was his preferred car... :?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Sorry, a little off topic - but as we're discussing Cabrios and I have my photo collection out; anyone got any idea on the year of this one? I took the photo through the window of my trusty 1302s (windscreen wiper aerophoils were cool in the 80s :wink: ) in Athens on a very hot July day in 1987...  Cabrio in Athens.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Sorry, a little off topic - but as we're discussing Cabrios and I have my photo collection out; anyone got any idea on the year of this one? I took the photo through the window of my trusty 1302s (windscreen wiper aerophoils were cool in the 80s :wink: ) in Athens on a very hot July day in 1987...

Mike Peckham wrote:

62/63 ? :wink:

I think!:d
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago

I didnt realise much was done to it before you got it other than lowering?

mrsherbie wrote:

A lot was done. The remit was to be able to get it through an MOT. In order to do this, the heater channels, sill strengtheners, inners wings, quarter panels and cross members were all replaced, and in many places new panels were hand fabricated to factory look.

A replacement engine block (the original was seized - which I've got :wink: ) and drivers door were fitted together with a total overhaul of the brakes/cables etc.

Billabug jumps to mind for some crazy reason! But what an ultimate cool girls car it was back then!

mrsherbie wrote:

:shock: :shock: What's this, totally stock Anna telling us she likes Billabug! Say it in private circles and certainly don't write that on a public forum.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're right of course, what a cool Bug that was and with the Billabug interior, a total girls car. (sorry Brett/Jay if you're reading!:lol:)
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

It was definitely RHD, I heped Mike out on it a bit and gave him a couple of spare semaphores I had for it, though they were from a saloon so didn't quite fit

Mike Peckham wrote:

Mike

Don't suppose you can remember the registration or have any pics?
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

Sorry, a little off topic - but as we're discussing Cabrios and I have my photo collection out; anyone got any idea on the year of this one? I took the photo through the window of my trusty 1302s (windscreen wiper aerophoils were cool in the 80s :wink: ) in Athens on a very hot July day in 1987...

Mike Peckham wrote:

Think Will's close Mike. Assuming they're the original back lights, then gotta be 62-64. Your wiper's obscuring the bottom of the decklid so can't see if it's a t-handle or push button which would have narrowed it down further.

Interest pic. Me thinks you've got a lot of interesting VW pics to post!
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

Mike

Don't suppose you can remember the registration or have any pics?

55Kab wrote:

I don't remember the reg number although I'm pretty sure it was three letters and two numbers and then D, the reason I remember that is that I thought at the time that at a glance it looked like an age appropriate six digit number.

Don't think I have any pics, but I'll have a look. I have loads of pics of sundry 50s beetles from the 80s but they're in no particular order and mixed in with other stuff, so keep coming across them in the most unlikely places! :roll:

Mike
Mike Peckham
15 years ago

62/63 ? :wink:

I think!:d

54 Gertie wrote:

I think you could be right, at the time I had the sense that it was a much older bug but looking at it now - the shape of the engine lid and the lack of semaphores - suggests that it has to be post 60. I wonder if it's still out there somewhere. Any forum members from Athens? :?

Mike
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

In the early eighties - 83 or 84 - there was a 55 RHD cabriolet in Worthing. It belonged to Mike and Jane Blackwell (anyone remember them or know where they are now?). Mike carried out a restoration on it amd painted it black witih yellow side panels. It looked quite smart, and other than the colour scheme was quite faithfully restored.

The car had been brought over to the mainland from the Channel Islands in the 60s and had a "D" plate I think as it had been registered here in about 1966. It was later sold to a collector in the states and I would imagine it must still survive as it was in very sound condition.

Anyone know if it's still around?

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Mike,

I *had* a picture of that one somewhere- will try and find it. I never knew it was a UK car!
I nearly bought a beautifully restored '54 RHD from New Zealand a couple of years ago. It wasn't cheap, but I regret not buying it now :(

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I knew the underside was done. But I think that 99% of Kab owners will see this cover and think that it is not right. Dont get me wrong, I do 'get it', I like scruffy og paint cars more than most on here, I have one! Although 'rusty veined uk patina' og paint is a different animal and so is usually un-saveable, and must! be repainted, as you are doing :beer: :beer: (The reason I stay away from uk vw's generally, they are just too rusty!)
But I also think it takes the mickey out of both the younger beetle owners who read the magazines and maybe dream of one day gracing the cover, and equally all the other kab owners over the age of 40 who will say, "so whats special? we have all had our cars look like that before we restored them?!" :lol:

Its a bit like 'Heroin chic' was in fashion in the mid 90s. oh, until schoolkids started dying from heroin overdoses. And we wonder why kids are stripping all the paint off their beetles and then throwing salty water over them to give them 'rustina' thinking it looks cool! :lol:

UserPostedImage

I loved billabug, and others like it. I had a bug painted with electric blue into silver paint fade, and I matched the blue ( Ford Matisse blue? :shock: ) roughly to Andy Parrots car because that car completely bowled me over! so I am a criminal too! :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Think Will's close Mike. Assuming they're the original back lights, then gotta be 62-64. Your wiper's obscuring the bottom of the decklid so can't see if it's a t-handle or push button which would have narrowed it down further.

Interest pic. Me thinks you've got a lot of interesting VW pics to post!

55Kab wrote:

I can see that they have painted around the bottom of the W profile on the decklid! This means that the decklid at least is pre late 63! These parts are all however bolt on and we could be looking at a cut'n'shut 69 :wink:

The later decklids with the large number plate light did not have such a long W pressing, to allow for the new type to mount on! This theory does not however prove anything as my early 63 has a later decklid with the wrong W shape! I have had a go at correcting it with the filler dust that has settled on it.......:d 😎

UserPostedImage

I also have had a crack at painting the logos on my hubcaps! They lok great and that is one mod that I would do to a post 63 car that is not supposed to have them painted! :wink: You can also see what a messy worker I am!:lol: :evil:

UserPostedImage
William
GKL 7
15 years ago

it takes the piss

mrsherbie wrote:

:shock: :oops: 😳
mrsherbie
15 years ago

:shock: :oops: 😳

'50 Karmann wrote:

Look I have changed it now!
:lol: Forgive me, I have flu, and I am having a problem with finding the correct words today! :lol:
But on the upside, I only just realised that we have a shedful of rusty old cover cars ourselves and I never even realised it! :lol:
JR's irish 53 will be on the cover next month! :shock: :lol:
Rob! quick wheel your oval down to the Volksworld show!

Its a pretty colour up close Gertie :d

54 Gertie
15 years ago

Its a pretty colour up close Gertie :d

mrsherbie wrote:

Thanks! Thats a pretty good picture for showing it!

Just a shame its not Ruby......:wink:

PS Is Julians irish oval realy in next months Vworld? It deserves it as it it not only rare but original as well! Sorry to point out the obvious!:roll: :d

William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

all the other kab owners over the age of 40 who will say, "so whats special? we have all had our cars look like that before we restored them?!" :lol:

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

Difference is Anna, because it's UK RHD, it is a rare car and with patina so in fashion together with it being super low on £2k's worth of Fuch. I guess in the eyes of a lot of people, that made it uber-cool!

I can appreciate what the patina/Rat-Look thing is all about but it's not for me, that said, there is something about it in that pic above that shouts I'm a cool car.....:wink:
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

I have had a go at correcting it with the filler dust that has settled on it.......:d 😎

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

Love it Will, that made me smile!:wink:
VW Stan
15 years ago

Rob! quick wheel your oval down to the Volksworld show!

mrsherbie wrote:

Robs is going up and rust is only cool on a rare car once you've removed the ground clearance!

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Apparently rust is only cool on a rare car once you've removed the ground clearance!

:d

VW Stan wrote:

Dont say that in front of Julian, he may get ideas!:wink:
William
GKL 7
15 years ago

rust is only cool on a rare car once you've removed the ground clearance!

VW Stan wrote:

That's going to end up on someone's sig line,fo sho.