GKL 7
15 years ago

500£ is not to bad ! The handles are a diffecult job !!

Etzhold1 wrote:

Hey Guido
Yes the guy said this, as they were some sort of "pot metal",a strange sought of cast.
He couldn't gaurantee the finish,but they turned out great.:d
69project
15 years ago

I like both types but I agree, without support holes in your wings they will never be 'exactly right' ( if you were that bothered though)

The only thing I would point out is that if your towel rails are the cheap ones? ( ie not the high quality repro US type that WW sell which end up costing 1k pair landed) they will start to rust very soon, inside a year! and you will be back to this same dilemma again very soon! (And the stainless US spec repro's made in Vietnam ( or wherever) are very wrong in a number of ways too)

If those over riders are og and good, dont sell them! You will regret it. They are getting really hard to find and originals are far better fit and quality than any repros you will ever find. I have a pair of stainless blades that I bought from Heritage when they first started selling ss, but with mint genuine over riders and it is the perfect mix of old and new
( they are in my garage not on a car at the moment mind you)
So in future the blades are not a problem to buy again, but the over riders currently are, a nos over rider or absolutely mint rustfree used is now worth £40-50 each! a rechromed original can be bought from KK for £40 each. There IS demand for these now.

Just my usual confusing addition to the topic :lol:

PS. NOTE TO EVERYONE, NEVER throw away your probably surface rusty original black reinforcing brackets and replace with new crappy repro's!! None of the repros fit properly! Restore your originals and re-use! nos are at worth £10 each now and you need 8, so you do the maths :wink:

mrsherbie wrote:

hmmm,i only paid 55 for the overriders.....????

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Car less.....
mrsherbie
15 years ago
They look nice, proper type inside. but as soon as you get dents or peeling chrome they fall back to being worth £5-10 again, but yes, you can still pick them up quite cheaply as they ran for so many years that there are a lot around and people commonly undersell them, but less and less perfect ones, and everyone wants perfect of course!
Chroming is getting SO expensive, hence I bought the good chromed stainless blades ( not the vietnamese ones!) to fit my og over riders on to. Back before I met Owen I paid £40 for 1 nos one myself! and KK's rechromed ones obviously cost the same with the high price of the rechroming now.

Luckily now I have good used original bumpers on my oval, but even perfect blades now are under demand by people who just dont want stainless, even though the good stainless ones are virtually identical and excellent, but even these same new blades alone cost £139 from Heritage, so arguably good used is comparable and nos more.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
harveypj
15 years ago
For my chroming I paid £15 per over rider.
Blade bumpers were quoted at about £100 each.
I also went with new chromed SS blades from Germany (via Status VW) The end profile is not quite right but very close.

Stock......the new custom