55Kab
14 years ago

I'd like to see a 3-fold in there

tman wrote:

Go for it Andrew! Perhaps you could do a deal with Rich with a sunroof swap? :wink:

In any event, one of you should have bought that roof section for £500. That was well cheap, did anyone get the guys number?

55Kab
14 years ago

Maybe we could run riot and post naughty pictures.

'50 Karmann wrote:

:lol: :lol: Let's do it, there's a nice modified RHD Split on oldbug at the moment which would get his attention if pics were posted up! :lol:

Rhodrich
14 years ago
It wasn't a roof section - just the mechanism. You'd need to already have a suitable 'hole'
55Kab
14 years ago

It wasn't a roof section - just the mechanism

Rhodrich wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you wouldn't actually need the roof if the mechanism was complete, side rails and all?

pre67vw
14 years ago

I was only thinking this evening it was quiet on the Rob front,holidays? Mind you he's been silent since he lost that Swiss Heb.
Maybe we could run riot and post naughty pictures.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Still here, just very busy.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rhodrich
14 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but you wouldn't actually need the roof if the mechanism was complete, side rails and all?

55Kab wrote:

The 'hole' is more than just a hole in a single skinned roof. Even with all the side rails, you'd still need the ragtop frame, which is part of the roof - it's all double skinned and strengthened.
55Kab
14 years ago

you'd still need the ragtop frame, which is part of the roof - it's all double skinned and strengthened.

Rhodrich wrote:

That's what I meant Rich. I presume then the seller didn't have that part. If not £500 wasn't so much of a bargain.

mrsherbie
14 years ago
I have his phone number if anyone wants it.

It was a collection of parts, I think most? of a whole mechanism but I didnt look too hard, I only remember the rails and some bows. What I do know for certain though as I looked at them closely is that the long rails are original old in good condition and very early 50-(52? split only anyway) they are identical to the og ones in our 50, and he only didnt fit them as he wanted the type with the rubber insert that is 53-55 as his car is 53, so these are a pretty valuable pair of long rails alone. The end pieces were 1 og and 1 repro, both same side I think? and some og bows. I didnt ask what else was included as we didnt need any of it, but the parts do add up to 500 ok. A complete 3 fold section (roof and all parts) is worth £1k minimum to £1500 on a good day. A mint unchipped non pitted og grooved handle alone is £150-200.

3 folds are just not coming up for sale very often these days.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sunroof53
14 years ago

I have his phone number if anyone wants it.

It was a collection of parts, I think most? of a whole mechanism but I didnt look too hard, I only remember the rails and some bows. What I do know for certain though as I looked at them closely is that the long rails are original old in good condition and very early 50-(52? split only anyway) they are identical to the og ones in our 50, and he only didnt fit them as he wanted the type with the rubber insert that is 53-55 as his car is 53, so these are a pretty valuable pair of long rails alone. The end pieces were 1 og and 1 repro, both same side I think? and some og bows. I didnt ask what else was included as we didnt need any of it, but the parts do add up to 500 ok. A complete 3 fold section (roof and all parts) is worth £1k minimum to £1500 on a good day. A mint unchipped non pitted og grooved handle alone is £150-200.

3 folds are just not coming up for sale very often these days.

mrsherbie wrote:

I agree with this entireley a 3 fold roof is a real rarity and will would easily add the purchase cost to the value of your car.
As for Gertie, i dont see any other options and would not be at all concerned about telling people it wasnt fitted at the factory .It will be the last thing on your mind with the roof back on a sunny day.Dont let 'what people will say ruin your enjoyment .Any bookworm buffer can criticise but it takes a whole lot more to actually do it yourself .

55Kab
14 years ago

As for Gertie, i dont see any other options and would not be at all concerned about telling people it wasnt fitted at the factory .It will be the last thing on your mind with the roof back on a sunny day.Dont let 'what people will say ruin your enjoyment .Any bookworm buffer can criticise

Sunroof53 wrote:

Absolutely. The vast majority of the bookworm buffers don't even own a car and if they do, I bet it'll not be as original or nice as Gertie. Just do it Andrew...take the cost of the new roof out of Will's Uni fees :lol:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

take the cost of the new roof out of Will's Uni fees :lol:

55Kab wrote:

:shock:

:lol:
William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

take the cost of the new roof out of Will's Uni fees :lol:

55Kab wrote:

You mean you have to pay to go to uni?! :shock: :shock:

Thanks chaps for the words of encouragement. I was pretty much sold on the idea of getting a 3-fold and then... Today, while driving along the motorway, the sunroof unlatched itself at the front and the wind all but ripped it off the car (luckily Will caught it just in the nick of time!). There's plenty of busted and bent metal and it became even more apparent how ill-fitting that Britax one really is.

So, I'm 99.9% in the market for a roof chop complete with a 3-fold Golde! :d Please everyone, take a look in your attics, under the stairs and in your garages - if you happen to find one laying about and you want to see it fitted to old Gertie then please let me know! :wink:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
54 Gertie
14 years ago

You mean you have to pay to go to uni?! :shock: :shock:

Thanks chaps for the words of encouragement. I was pretty much sold on the idea of getting a 3-fold and then... Today, while driving along the motorway, the sunroof unlatched itself at the front and the wind all but ripped it off the car (luckily Will caught it just in the nick of time!). There's plenty of busted and bent metal and it became even more apparent how ill-fitting that Britax one really is.

So, I'm 99.9% in the market for a roof chop complete with a 3-fold Golde! :d Please everyone, take a look in your attics, under the stairs and in your garages - if you happen to find one laying about and you want to see it fitted to old Gertie then please let me know! :wink:

tman wrote:

And my arm still hurts from holding it closed during the rain on the way home! :roll: :lol:

William
55Kab
14 years ago

And my arm still hurts from holding it closed during the rain on the way home! :roll: :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Good job Will.

I was afraid for a moment there Andrew I was going to read it had somehow damaged the rest of the car. Poor old Gertie, she much have been reading this thread and decided to give you a little nudge!

Will keep eyes and ears open. I did know of one but I don't know if it was sold, will ask. Besides asking KK, Owen and Dave Fritz it would be worth placing a wanted ad.

54 Gertie
14 years ago

Good job Will.

I was afraid for a moment there Andrew I was going to read it had somehow damaged the rest of the car. Poor old Gertie, she much have been reading this thread and decided to give you a little nudge!

Will keep eyes and ears open. I did know of one but I don't know if it was sold, will ask. Besides asking KK, Owen and Dave Fritz it would be worth placing a wanted ad.

55Kab wrote:

Yes, no damage luckily! :d

One of the great things about owning a non councours/overly shiney car is that you arent scared of paint chips! :wink:

Good job, as I was told about someone who had his fresh from the paintshop black Swedish 58 keyed down the side at Bristol! :shock: :twisted: It was parked on a club stand overnight. You would think that the one place that you could park a classic VW would be at a VW event where we are all appreciate them!

However, some in their Corsas do treat them as festivals and an excuse to get drunk and play loud music until the early hours of the morning! :shock: 😳 :roll: :lol:

William
55Kab
14 years ago

fresh from the paintshop black Swedish 58 keyed down the side at Bristol! :shock: :twisted: It was parked on a club stand overnight. You would think that the one place that you could park a classic VW would be at a VW event where we are all appreciate them!

54 Gertie wrote:

Doesn't surprise me, it was probably one of those "new wave" VW events and even though I like modified cars, as Anna would say, in terms of those type of shows, YUK...not for me!:wink: :lol:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

Doesn't surprise me, it was probably one of those "new wave" VW events and even though I like modified cars, as Anna would say, in terms of those type of shows, YUK...not for me!:wink: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

It was Bristol V'fest! It was nice last year (the weather helped) but this year it seemed a bit lacking in nice cars, also the guy with his generator running until just after midnight didnt help! :shock: :lol:
William
Sunroof53
14 years ago
All this and still no pictures of Stoner park:roll: .I have tried to register on Restowagen but despite emailing them,my account is still not activated after a whole week.They do have some nice photos though.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

All this and still no pictures of Stoner park:roll: .I have tried to register on Restowagen but despite emailing them,my account is still not activated after a whole week.They do have some nice photos though.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Patience. :d I submitted my application 2 months ago and I'm still waiting for an activation email. To be fair, I heard they had a bot-like attack recently and they probably discarded my application?

I'll try and get a few pics from Stonor posted in the next week or so. 🙂
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
mrsherbie
14 years ago
:shock: I am shocked that something like that happened at Bristol Volksfest? I have only been to that show once about 6? years ago and it seemed fine, pretty nice actually! It was up at Bath racecourse on the hill then. But I do wonder whether one-off serious damage done to peoples cars at shows is more down to personal grudge attacks rather than random vandalism?

I have figured it out, for me, I now avoid pretty much all 'weekend' shows. I have only realised that recently. Even Peppercorn this year, I am going for only one of the days, but not camping. The word 'festival' is in fact the point where I stop reading. Oh, and I try to avoid shows that use 'dub' in the title too :lol:
But thats only me getting old I know, as I used to love all that in the late 80's early 90's too, so I dont see why others should'nt have the same fun now. I just dont want to be there with them anymore.

Anyway, here are my measly 4 pics! i took more but they were of 1303's and that great yellow bay panelvan, so I wont bore you with those! :lol:

I was looking forward to seeing it and Peter's blue 58 was everything I hoped it would be, really really lovely! ( he and his car are matching eye candy! :wink: :lol: )

Also we both admired the excellent wing matching paint effects job and all the work of Julian Robinsons 53, the (ex)teabag! His car is without any doubt the 'save of the year' :beer:

Cool to see both the Pascoe black kabs parked together, you see! there are lots of people who love both fat and skinny chicks!

Lovely weather (as usual) Stonor was my first ever vw show and holds that special place for me like lots of other people I know, and I told John Daniel that while I was waiting for my missing child to re-appear after I had to get him to call her out over the tannoy :lol:

Love Stonor :d

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann