Standard split
14 years ago

I'm still dubious about the chassis number though- neither Dan nor I could see any numbers at all on the tunnel, they must have been very faint! :wink:

vintagebug wrote:

The headlining was replaced… the car has had respray(s), and there is evidence of white paint under the black along with the faint 'dubious chassis number' as mentioned above.

Of course, this car may be an original split and had never been an Oval :?

Many were trying to cast doubt over Rattletrap's bodyshell authenticity by claiming it to be from an Oval. Well at least we now know that is not the case :twisted:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
stevo
14 years ago
Hi, feels strange ,but i'm the man who's bought the zwitter.:d
She'll be looked after,slowly but surely,and i'll need your lots help if thats ok?

Steve.
1953 rhd zwitter.
VW Stan
14 years ago

She'll be looked after,slowly but surely,and i'll need your lots help if thats ok?

stevo wrote:

Good man! 😎
You've come to the right place...

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
1958ghia
14 years ago
I was worried for a second that this was going to sucumb to the same fate as the SA white split lowered by cutting and turning the original beam and og engine ditched!!! Please look after the car and keep it stock.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I was worried for a second that this was going to sucumb to the same fate as the SA white split lowered by cutting and turning the original beam and og engine ditched!!! Please look after the car and keep it stock.

1958ghia wrote:

I think he kept the OG engine. Well, thats what he told us.

However, he also said "Ive not cut anything so it can go back to stock...". Hmmmm, beam? :wink: :lol:
William
'58 beetle
14 years ago
Hi, back to the start of this discussion, you posted 4 pics saying 3 were fake and 1 full resto. can you explain to my untrained eye the fakes and why, cheers '58 beetle
'58 beetle
14 years ago
:roll:
VW Stan
14 years ago

Hi, back to the start of this discussion, you posted 4 pics saying 3 were fake and 1 full resto. can you explain to my untrained eye the fakes and why, cheers '58 beetle

'58 beetle wrote:

Apart from details like bumper and lights etc. look at the rear windows...
The first picture is an oval which has had a complete split rear window section grafted in (I read the for-sale ad!).
The middle two are oval window beetles which have simple had a dividing bar added to the oval window.
The fourth picture is an original split.

If you look at the pictures below you can see that the split windows are symmetrical top to bottom.
The oval window however is not. It's flatter along the bottom edge and follows the top line of the vents.

830244.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  885108.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

RoRoVw
14 years ago

stevo wrote:

Hi Stevo - congratulations on buying the zwitter. We have quite a collection of oval beetles here in West Yorkshire so we're very happy to have your new purchase in the area. If any help is needed then give us all a shout.
Cheers Rob.
Standard split
14 years ago
If this car is going to be restored, then presumably the headlining that has been added will be removed for the correct type to be fitted. This is when the new owner will find out if the window is real or welded in.

Let's hope its real, and if so I'd suggest taking pictures of the inside before fitting the new headliner.

Even if the window is added, this car is a sound purchase – very usable being RHD :beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
1958ghia
14 years ago
I couldn't feel any signs through the headliner (and couldn't see any ripples on the outside in any filler) my guess was this is real, as it was imported with another rhd oval that could easily have been converted too if they were out to make money. I don't think in Sri Lanka they would have go to this effort 10 years ago.
Stevo has a great car.

Would be interesting to know your plans for it? Are you going to MOT it and run it?
Standard split
14 years ago

I couldn't feel any signs through the headliner (and couldn't see any ripples on the outside in any filler) my guess was this is real, as it was imported with another rhd oval that could easily have been converted too if they were out to make money. I don't think in Sri Lanka they would have go to this effort 10 years ago.

1958ghia wrote:

A thoroughly done job would not show at all on the outside, and you wouldn't feel anything through the headliner.

Headliner out will confirm either way. Split window clips are hardly common place, you need to find a scrap Split to cut it from. Unlikely they'd had two at hand to convert two Ovals.:wink:

VW Stan
14 years ago

A thoroughly done job would not show at all on the outside, and you wouldn't feel anything through the headliner.

Headliner out will confirm either way. Split window clips are hardly common place, you need to find a scrap Split to cut it from. Unlikely they'd had two at hand to convert two Ovals.:wink:

Standard split wrote:

You sound like a 'glass half empty' kind of guy John! :wink:

:beer: :beer:

Standard split
14 years ago

You sound like a 'glass half empty' kind of guy John! :wink:

:beer: :beer:

VW Stan wrote:

Consider things at their worst outcome then you'll not be disappointed, but maybe pleasantly surprised:wink:

vintagebug
14 years ago
First of all, congratulations Stevo. I looked over this car the other day with Dan (the day before you bought it). It's had various parts welded up (bottom of both heater channels, bottom of both doors, quarter panels below side windows, floorpan and a couple of other places) but the welding was done to a good standard and my feeling was it's a good solid car. Did you find the chassis number & does it match up with the engine & body numbers? I hope it does.

Yes, the headliner has been replaced with a later '70s style perforated vinyl one, so if (when?) you renew it do as John (Standard Split) advises & check thoroughly that the rear window hasn't been grafted in. Take photos of it from inside the car & this'll silence any future doubters! :wink:

I decided not to buy it as I would want to treat it to the full strip-down, high-quality restoration that I think it deserves and tbh I don't have the time or resources to do that as I am currently restoring another vintage VW! :lol:

So good luck with it Stevo, keep us informed of it's progress and please keep it stock!!

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
stevo
14 years ago
Thanks for the positive comments and the hearty welcome from RoRoVw !!!
I'm collecting the car on saturday (a 8hr round trip!)
I'm so happy with the car and is it ,isnt it? debate!!!
I did find the chassis number and it did match up (though quite faint, is this usual?)
When i've calmed down i plan to go through the car and try to get an mot and enjoy it as it is for the moment,the wifes non too pleased i spent so much on a car that's 56 yrs old!!!!!
Out of interest is this debate correct for the 'pre 53 discussions forum'?
Oh and out of interest the people who went to see it, did you find any sign's of conversion from lhd to rhd?i couldn't.

Steve.
1953 rhd zwitter.
1958ghia
14 years ago
Hi Stevo,

I'm pretty sure the car is 100% right hand drive from new. There was original paint on the back of the dash from what I could see and absolutely no sign of welding in the luggage bay. Given none of the other welds were filled on the inside I don't see they would have bothered to smooth them in the luggage bay. I think when you pull the headliner that your going to find the window is original to the car too.
Good luck with the car!

Standard split
14 years ago
Body number could confirm Split or Oval, Stevo :idea:

Looks like 389933.

Anyone have a year list for body numbers:?:

Split body no.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
14 years ago

Looks like 389933.

Standard split wrote:

According to the numbers on the Samba that body number is for Feb '53
Standard split
14 years ago
Looks like you have the real thing Stevo:beer: