Poll Question: Should there be a post 67 aircooled VW section? (Poll is closed)

Total: 18

harveypj
14 years ago

the resto crowd have the same qualitys as the purist and will probably end up being one if thet stay in the scene for long enough, or start to feel a bit silly driving a restocal at the age of 50.

Sunroof53 wrote:

I'll go with that.
I have to admit I used to be realy quite partial to the resto cal look I even whent as far as to lower my first 6v a ruby 66. I must add though that was nearly 18 years ago. From what I recal the early resto's did not sport the silly narrowed beams of the current trend. They were realy just stockers that had been lowered, even stock rims were commom. They did look cool.

Stock......the new custom
harveypj
14 years ago
Think I should have voted first option as far as my own cars go, but I do like to look around the restos at the shows...so third option then ....Oh I don't know.
Stock......the new custom
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Above all else, I love original, early VWs. Preferably RHD where applicable and preferably unrestored. However, I am also partial to a lowered 1303 with fibreglass body kit and EMPI 8-spokes.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
heb623
14 years ago

I'm the only vote for Strictly Vintage so far....Unbelievable:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

I was thinking by myself lets help the poor bastard!!!:lol:

Nice or me or not?:roll:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
GKL 7
14 years ago

I am also partial to a lowered 1303 with fibreglass body kit and EMPI 8-spokes,the doctor does insist i keep taking the medication.

Rich Oakley wrote:

:shock:

oval56
14 years ago

.... However, I am also partial to a lowered 1303 with fibreglass body kit and EMPI 8-spokes.

Rich Oakley wrote:

that sentence burned in my eyes during reading it :lol: :lol: :beer: :wink:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
I think there are very few Purist in the literal sense, it's a comparative term even in present company.

In KG circles some think I'm a purist but I'm far from it. I like original cars with personlised touches from each owner, as long as they don't include hacks, lowering or excessive bling.

There's a place for restorations to factory spec too but not in my garage...I prefer my Mona Lisa with a moustache.
John.
Rhodrich
14 years ago
Having an 11C that's had a ragtop put in, currently fitted with a supercharged 30hp, I guess I'm not a purist. Neither of these 'modifications' prevent the car being a 'good vintage VW' IMHO though.

To be honest, I'm not sure I am going to take my car to any shows this year, as I can't be bothered with the bitchy criticism that I get for it 'not being a real 11G.' I have spoken to a few other Split owners who feel exactly the same way with their cars as well, who don't take their cars to shows any longer because they can't be bothered with the criticism that they get. It's a shame really.

It's not just limited to the VW scene though. I only ever took my Mercedes 230SL to one Mercedes show. When someone sneered that it was wearing Avons, and not the 'correct' Michelin MXV-P tyres (at over £200 a pop), I realised that Mercedes shows weren't for me either...

I have my cars because I get pleasure out of tinkering with them and driving them. I don't build them to anyone else's taste but my own. Whatever my views are on cars - whether I like vintage, stock, slammed, resto-cal, or anything else, I don't feel I have any right to criticise what someone else has done to their car, and reduce their enjoyment of it.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

I'm not sure I am going to take my car to any shows this year, as I can't be bothered with the bitchy criticism that I get for it 'not being a real 11G.'

Rhodrich wrote:

Ask them whether their split has a sunroof or not! You can bet most of them won´t even own one.

I love sunroof cars, original or otherwise doesn´t bother me, as long as it´s done right.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Ask them whether their split has a sunroof or not! You can bet most of them won´t even own one.

I love sunroof cars, original or otherwise doesn´t bother me, as long as it´s done right.

JD wrote:

It used to make me mad too...but when you challenge them to tell you why they would know "what's correct for MY car"...they shut up.

Helps to deliver it with a sneering tone.:x
John.
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Would you buy an old country cottage with a thatched roof and then fit solar panels on it? It's stock for me every time!
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Would you buy an old country cottage with a thatched roof and then fit solar panels on it?

mrmagyar wrote:

No because they never came with solar panels. Beetles did come with sunroofs however - just not enough of them.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrmagyar
14 years ago
Exactly, and they didn't come lowered with huge alloy wheels, 2,1 litre engines and Recaro seats either...
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
oval56
14 years ago

Exactly, and they didn't come lowered with huge alloy wheels, 2,1 litre engines and Recaro seats either...

mrmagyar wrote:

but that's the natural evolution also called "facelift" :lol: :wink:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
55Kab
14 years ago

Would you buy an old country cottage with a thatched roof and then fit solar panels on it? It's stock for me every time!

mrmagyar wrote:

I bet there's not many people living in an old country cottage with a thatched roof the same way as people would have done when it was built. I bet externally it may look unchanged but there'lll be many upgrades. As Andi says, it's called evolution.

Said it before and I'll say it again, driving a 50 year old VW in today's traffic is very laudable as I wouldn't entertain it save for a few days a year. Stock was fine when stock was new but I do believe all aspects of motoring have moved on slighty. Even James May who has a penchant for old car's has said, an old car is exactly that, an old car! Fine for the odd day out but swapping it for a modern euro box for everyday use (read comfort, economy, speed, even luxury) ain't gonna happen! :wink:

GKL 7
14 years ago

Helps to deliver it with a sneering tone.:x

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

And a SLAP!!!!:wink:

Funny how these peoples cars are never present,isn't it.
Rhodrich,your car is very nice.
I personally would go without a sunroof ,just to have an original car(just my way).But if i owned your car i would not let the tactless comments of other folk stop me from going anywhere.SOD'EM.
GKL 7
14 years ago

Stock was fine when stock was new but I do believe all aspects of motoring have moved on slighty.

55Kab wrote:

So why does being six inches nearer to the tarmac make any difference?:wink:
48REME
14 years ago
I like an old car to be exactly as it was offered when it rolled out of the showroom, with all its antiquated technological defects, noise and limited power. This is where the charm lies, otherwise, let's just get an ultra-modern state-of-the-art cruise machine for convenience. Surely, the experience of riding in an old car is all about the period feel of motoring. I agree though, that it's scary in today's traffic. However, here in the UK, I find motorists very patient and tolerant with old cars. I suspect nobody sees my semaphores when I turn but I never get any honking for not signalling though. I wouldn't want to drive my old VW in Paris, I have to admit!
55Kab
14 years ago

So why does being six inches nearer to the tarmac make any difference?:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

It probably don't but sometimes you have to have form over function! :wink:

Now that's not too say I think the "tarmac" scrapers look good but I do like the look of a sensibly lowered Bug and with the right engineering can be and indeed are improved on the original. A lot of German Look cars prove that. Rich's Bug on the cover of Voowoo this month gets it about right.

55Kab
14 years ago

I like an old car to be exactly as it was offered when it rolled out of the showroom, with all its antiquated technological defects, noise and limited power. This is where the charm lies, otherwise, let's just get an ultra-modern state-of-the-art cruise machine for convenience. Surely, the experience of riding in an old car is all about the period feel of motoring. I agree though, that it's scary in today's traffic. However, here in the UK, I find motorists very patient and tolerant with old cars. I suspect nobody sees my semaphores when I turn but I never get any honking for not signalling though. I wouldn't want to drive my old VW in Paris, I have to admit!

48REME wrote:

Agree totally but isn't that what life is about? Evolution? I would think that in the 50's the reality is a lot of VW's were sold to people who couldn't afford anything more expensive (as has always been the case with all makes of car).

There were a lot around because for the money that's what it got you. Today, through motoring evolution the equvilant car is comfortable, fast, ecomonical and probably has leccy windows, power steering, air-con, CD player, air bags, ABS and so on.

Now to ignore all that for every day use is just plain daft and I assume is the reason the last time I saw an original 50's VW on the road was in Britain was..........err........I can't remember, and if I could I bet it was probably en-route to a VW show. I bet even at places like Peppercorn more vintage VW owners turn up in their euro-box than take their old VW.

As to no-one ever honking you for not seeing semaphores, I sincerely urge you to fit flashing orange indicators as it's only a matter of time before some git wearing a sleeveless top, baseball cap and 5 o'clock shadow hits you from behind whilst driving his comfortable, fast and ecomonical euro-box!!! :wink: