zelensis61
13 years ago
I have this question:

As you all know, I love Hebmüllers type 14a beetles. I am looking for one since the animals were still abble to talk.
Now due to the low prices and overload on advertises for “hebs for sale” I did not buy such a car yet.. In most cases the color was not my favorit color or the price was ridiculous low…

Now I was wondering : If I made myself such a car, like they did 62 years ago, with self educated coach built technique , with hand forming tools like in the old days to create a type 14a copy as accurate as possible,with bad weldings like they did years ago, with bad painting and bad doorsag, could I still post here in the coachbuilt forum or will I be banned to other places.

So my question is: What if?

Let me know what you think of it before I get my hammer and dolly.

Greets Peter

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
They weren´t hand formed back then either.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
zelensis61
13 years ago

They weren´t hand formed back then either.

JD wrote:

The first ones were....all made by hand. Only after the fire the press was used to form the engine covers.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

The first ones were....all made by hand. Only after the fire the press was used to form the engine covers.

zelensis61 wrote:

Seriously?! They hand beat those lids?
UserPostedImage
oval56
13 years ago
do it of you haven't don it yet :wink: :shock:

.In most cases the color was not my favorit color or the price was ridiculous low…

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
brille52
13 years ago
Peter !

I know, you`re an artist !! Can`t wait to see you put the hammer down !! :wink: You can do it !!!! :beer:

a8)
zelensis61
13 years ago

Seriously?! They hand beat those lids?

JD wrote:

Actualy not, the first one were, then the pre production models were assembled out of several pieces and welded together. Not sure if they were cut up parts from front but obviously they were new parts in it. They certain started with a split decklid.

Actualy aal the parts of a Type 14a are simple to make....cut, bend, twist and hammer them in form:lol: . The complexe forms are mostly made out of several simple parts:idea: .
zelensis61
13 years ago
see the weld? :shock:  weld hebmuller-koffer.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Actualy not, the first one were, then the pre production models were assembled out of several pieces and welded together. Not sure if they were cut up parts from front but obviously they were new parts in it. They certain started with a split decklid.

Actualy aal the parts of a Type 14a are simple to make....cut, bend, twist and hammer them in form:lol: . The complexe forms are mostly made out of several simple parts:idea: .

zelensis61 wrote:

"Simple to make"?!? :shock:
Simple to make if you are a skilled metal worker and have access to an English wheel.

I admire that you want to do this, but I´m sure you don´t want to underestimate how difficult it will be.

Interesting to see that they were originally welded like that.
UserPostedImage
SplitPersonality
13 years ago

I have this question:

Now I was wondering : If I made myself such a car, like they did 62 years ago, with self educated coach built technique , with hand forming tools like in the old days to create a type 14a copy as accurate as possible,with bad weldings like they did years ago, with bad painting and bad doorsag, could I still post here in the coachbuilt forum or will I be banned to other places.

zelensis61 wrote:

Well...I think the answer is very easy. You will end building a great looking reproduction of a Type 14A. And will have to be excluded from any type of original Hebmuller-gathering..

Now...if you had a chassis number and a history to start it off with...you would be "reconstructing" a Type 14A....and then you would be allowed into the central square in Hessisch.

But again....this is the "axe and handle"-debate which has now definitive answers..
heb623
13 years ago
Yes Peter, the times that people phoned you to ask if you would like to buy a (complete) Hebmuller for €7.500,- are defenitely behind us!!! :oops:
I think I was (one of) the last!:roll:
Nobody knows, but I have a second Heb overhere?!?:shock:
Yes, the one living in that box!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
pre67vw
13 years ago

the times that people phoned you to ask if you would like to buy a (complete) Hebmuller for €7.500,- are defenitely behind us!!! :oops:

heb623 wrote:

How much?? I didn't realise they were that expensive!!

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
heb623
13 years ago
:lol:
Back in 1998!!!

zelensis61
13 years ago

:lol:
Back in 1998!!!

heb623 wrote:

I got an offer for one at 10.000 Euro 5 years ago, sadly the color was not my favorit. And I was the second one to call the phone nr of the seller.:evil:

Well it seems that opinions are different as I expected.
Most say go for it and some say I will be banned forever....Well, I need to think it over again before I start with something.
I'll give up on searching one to buy for myself...I'll never find one in my favorite color...Orange :lol:
 305386.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
heb623
13 years ago
Waw Peter, a Hebhmuller coupé!!:shock:
And you did not buy that? You must be very in love with your money, otherwise you bought it straight away, or not?:lol: :lol:

GKL 7
13 years ago
Peter is this a picture of Et's heb you used to show JD the welds???
I ask, because i see it is full of Bondo:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  resource.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

I ask, because i see it is full of Bondo:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

"What if a Hebmüller style type 14A is made from bondo?":d
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
13 years ago

"What if a Hebmüller style type 14A is made from bondo?":d

JD wrote:

If that's OK,Peter could get some expert help.Et can't be far away,Belgium is not the biggest country.:twisted:
heb623
13 years ago

I ask, because i see it is full of Bondo:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Haha George, what kind of comedian you are?!?:lol:

As you can see on pic below this isn't a proper way to attach things!:shock:
I didn't do it,[-x
my Belgian mechanic didn't do it![-x
Who did it than?:cry:
A knowledge for me, question for you? :roll:
The man who did it knows it but he won't tell it:shock: and the man or men who are resposable for it maybe don't know it!!:roll:
Atleast till now!!!  mistake.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
GKL 7
13 years ago
It wasn't me either.But i could help you put it right.:d
What are those bolts for Et,did you say it was for the pump or something for your gearbox??Shame,because the holes will need welding and then the pan repainting and then.....Oh! we may aswell just restore the whole car:wink: