ascort
  • ascort
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
11 years ago
I came across this web page which I found interesting. :thumbup:

https://www.uiterwijk-winkel.be/okrasa.html 

It is nice to see that the Ascort managed a special note, even it the date is wrong. I was very interested in the photo of the box of components for the Ascorts. I have copies of several orders for components, which may relate to this box of goodies.

Mmmm now what would that box of goodies be worth today? :unsure:
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Interesting indeed!
Did all Okrasa engines got rid of the thermostat and flap then?

Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
ascort
  • ascort
11 years ago

Interesting indeed!
Did all Okrasa engines got rid of the thermostat and flap then?

Piet wrote:

I do not know if removal of the thermostat was common to all of the Okrasas. I do have a sheet of instructions for the fitting of an Okrasa TSV 1300 kit to a 36hp engine, and in point 14 it instructs that the thermostat is to be removed.

(not sure if this can be read)  pg4 (384x500).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Thanks Mark, I wonder what the technical philosophy is behind removing it.
Do they run hotter with it due to the higher RPM's/low end torque involved?
Mr. Oettinger, I suppose, must have had a very good reason..Interesting!
Proost! Peter.
ascort
  • ascort
11 years ago

Thanks Mark, I wonder what the technical philosophy is behind removing it.
Do they run hotter with it due to the higher RPM's/low end torque involved?
Mr. Oettinger, I suppose, must have had a very good reason..Interesting!

Piet wrote:

I am not an expert and will not pretend to know the answer to your question.

The question is one that has puzzled me too as I have a number of books on volkswagen engines and they seem to say that there was more design thought in the genuine vw shroud than in the aftermarket repro items and they warn against removing the thermostat. :?

I do not have a running okrasa at this stage. I have all of the bits to build a replica (except for the coiled oil cooler) for my original car. My recently purchased blue car has a complete and original Okrasa which was supposed to have been rebuilt about 15,000 miles before being taken off the road in the 1980s. I want to give it a good check over and service before attempting to make it run.
Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
It may be that the additional coil oil cooler replaces the function of the thermostat.
It is of greater importance to keep the oil temperature within certain degrees and at the same time control the cylinder head temperature. Did they have high flow oilpumps too?
Proost! Peter.
ascort
  • ascort
11 years ago

It may be that the additional coil oil cooler replaces the function of the thermostat.
It is of greater importance to keep the oil temperature within certain degrees and at the same time control the cylinder head temperature. Did they have high flow oilpumps too?

Piet wrote:

Again I will say that I am not an expert.

The old documents that I have that give instructions about the fitting of the Okrasa TSV 1300 kit, and instructions on tuning and starting make no mention of changing the oil pump type.

There is also no photo of an oil pump with the kit components, so I believe that there was no change to the oil pump on the original engines.
tobiasax
9 years ago
The reason you need to remove the thermostat is that the rod controlling the flap does not fit in the Okrasa head. See picture and reasoning on my blog: https://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se/2014/09/the-thermostat.html