JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
4 years ago

Finally, after many years of ownership, it was time to dig into the bodywork on my 1958 Kabriolett. Despite just about everyone telling me never to touch it, there was a large and obvious chunk of filler cracking out of the left front quarter panel, with a streak of rust emerging from it. Unlike some people, i do make a distinction between patina and neglect, and i didn´t want it to get any worse, so the car was dropped down to Karl at Wolfsburg Wizards to do his thing with the mig welder. There was also a large seam weld right across the front valance, where it´s been repaired with flat sheet metal, so that will be sorted out too. Karl got stuck in with the grinder and uncovered rather more grot than i was expecting. It looked like the car may have had a knock at some point in the distant past, that had caused rust and eventually some poor rust repairs that had been buried under filler. We did toy with the idea of replacing the whole front quarter, but in the event Wolf was out of stock, so we went with a chunk of a later VW panel. Nothing with any of the wrong pressings though, i should add.

I intend to try and dig the rest of the filler out of the car eventually. I´m not after anything pristine, but it would be nice to know it´s as solid as these cars ever can be. I´m lucky that there isn´t a lot of rust in the car.

Also wanted to say how much fun it is to drive after i finally fitted some Michelin XZX tyres and some Pro-Tech adjustable shock absorbers. I could kick myself for not having done it long ago. It´s uncannily precise to drive now and rides bumps better than my modern car. The only other mod was a HD front anti roll bar.

39856a4a-5db0-4193-b608-63ac7db5fca3.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content. 5f745184-77c4-47ff-add2-9611a22daefd.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content. 11074e3d-be97-410e-a5fe-54b9d71adf95.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content. 7483e34d-2762-40da-856d-9240011e2397.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content. f458bb10-a19e-40be-8de6-aff3d62db36d.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
4 years ago

I saw that on Karls Instagram and I wondered if it was your car. Nice work!

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
4 years ago

He seems ot be doing a top job. At least the other side seems to be rot free, thankfully.

Any news on your car?

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
4 years ago
Couple more from today. That´s not filler on there btw, just packing primer and bare metal.

IMG_3347.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content. IMG_3348.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.

UserPostedImage
pre67vw
4 years ago
Looking good.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW