pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
11 years ago
Anyone remember/have pics from a small VW show helps at old warden aerodrome?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
kevsplitty
11 years ago

These photos are of the Federated Garages meeting in 1975 - the first English Split Window meeting. The owners from left to right are William Foottit, Derek Smith, Maurice Goldsmith, Rod Sleigh and Jacques Mertens who travelled from Brussels for the meet.

pre67vw wrote:

Awesome,dad has a couple of these pics,i'll show him these next time hes round,many thanks

Kev Goldsmith
Rod_vw
11 years ago
TJJ 62 was my car in those days, Liz & I ran the concours at Action '76 (and many others later) which was the catalyst for similar events most of the later VW shows.
If you search The Samba you will find TJJ 62 (VIN 1-101991) in the register, now in Hawaii having been through the hands of at least two other UK owners.

Kev - It was your Dad's car that started me off with these elderly cars, I saw him & MRT at the VW Conventions at Stafford show ground in 1971/2 and fell in love with splits!

Rob - The Old Warden (Shuttelworth Collection) show was most probably a Historic Club event many years ago, I can't remember the date but no doubt someone can.

chrisbug91 - Just spare a thought for those of us that not only remember the events but were involved with the organisation of them!!

John - Thanks for getting these posted on here, I'll catch up with you on the other matter asap.

Rod
Rattletrap
11 years ago

These photos are of the Federated Garages meeting in 1975 - the first English Split Window meeting. The owners from left to right are William Foottit, Derek Smith, Maurice Goldsmith, Rod Sleigh and Jacques Mertens who travelled from Brussels for the meet.

pre67vw wrote:

These pics are so early they even pre-date my activity in the VW scene. It was an all so much cheaper and more fun hobby back then. Acquiring a split was a real achievement, you didn't need to be rich, and there was no internet to locate cars. The oval sidelined into the background is indication of their worth back then, you could often see UK ovals in daily use. Splits were never a common sight here of course.

Of the cars pictured here, I went on to own MRT308, TJJ62 and 42BXA. MRT is now in N.Ireland, TJJ is in the USA, but I only think 42BXA is still in England, I've not seen mention of it though.:smile:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rattletrap
11 years ago
Another split I owned in the 1970s, and still actually have, is 349GMO a 1951 Standard Model. The car, despite being registered here in the UK since 1956, does not seem appear in any old show photos. Presumably the first/second/third owners were not interested in the car as such. Has anyone a 1970s show picture with GMO in attendance:?:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
11 years ago

TJJ is in the USA,

Rattletrap wrote:

John,if the rumours I heard are true,it's bad news i'm afraid.
The car got wrecked,maybe Rod can confirm this.
Rattletrap
11 years ago

John,if the rumours I heard are true,it's bad news i'm afraid.
The car got wrecked,maybe Rod can confirm this.

GKL 7 wrote:

As I recall hearing, the car got badly vandalised while parked up at the port after arriving in the US while waiting collection back in 1984, the year when I sold it.:x

I was upset to hear this as TJJ looked so nice when it left my house for the export.:cry:

However, I did hear that the car had since been restored, though as you say, maybe Rod will know more on this.
Rattletrap
11 years ago
Another question for Rod regarding TJJ, is was TJJ converted to RHD, and more probably, was it converted here in the UK:?:

Regarding converting the car, it should be remembered that it was a rare Standard Model, and so with a cable brake chassis making conversion a little more of a problem than with a Deluxe.
4 years ago
I just followed a thread to here from elsewhere...

Looking for certain photos..

But the albums are not available..

Can they be seen anywhere?

Thank you.

Julian
www.vwoval.co.uk
4 years ago
Can anyone help? Looking for pictures of VBH577 ... apparently seen in these photos?

Please?

www.vwoval.co.uk
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
4 years ago
There’s only 1 photo of VBH577 in that collection...

35B105B2-3008-4F81-86E4-8527E67B2D21.jpeg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

The photos are still available on the Facebook page.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
4 years ago
That is perfect.
Thank you
Julian
www.vwoval.co.uk