lucifar666
13 years ago
History is 2 owners from new its an original RHD UK registered bug in original L324 polar silver and 72a red interior. Found in a barn in Scotland approx 2 years ago , It had been stored there since 1974.Engine with 90000 mile on the clock. Having said that the floor and heater channels are left on the barn floor and the red interior needs full replacement.

Wish me luck I will need it :D
and be prepared for loads of questions

In Scotland
UserPostedImage

On its way to NEUK
UserPostedImage

On the border
UserPostedImage

and Home
UserPostedImage

with big brother
UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Nice find- congrats!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
13 years ago
Yep, nice! Keep us posted!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Does it still have it's original reg number? If so, just out of interest, what is it?

Cheers,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
lucifar666
13 years ago

Does it still have it's original reg number? If so, just out of interest, what is it?

Cheers,
Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Yeah its got the original reg, Just waiting for V5 to come back from DVLA. Why do you want to know?
PS empty some of your inbox Rich, I tried to PM you.

Gary
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Yeah its got the original reg, Just waiting for V5 to come back from DVLA. Why do you want to know?
PS empty some of your inbox Rich, I tried to PM you.

Gary

lucifar666 wrote:

Hi Gary,

Have emptied my PM box. Martin 'Middle East' Fenner and I have been compiling a database of UK-supplied early cars for some time. This database will eventually be published with existing and scrapped cars' details (probably just reg numbers, colours, on-road/project/scrapped status). We would like to add your car to the list if possible and that invitation is extended to anybody else who would like to record their car on this list.

Cheers,
Rich.
lucifar666
13 years ago

Hi Gary,

Have emptied my PM box. Martin 'Middle East' Fenner and I have been compiling a database of UK-supplied early cars for some time. This database will eventually be published with existing and scrapped cars' details (probably just reg numbers, colours, on-road/project/scrapped status). We would like to add your car to the list if possible and that invitation is extended to anybody else who would like to record their car on this list.

Cheers,
Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

PM sent Rich:d
lucifar666
13 years ago
A quick update of pics to show what condition and amount of work that faces me, I am looking at the barnfind threads and thinking if only.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The seats look really bad but it is only the beading stitching that has rotted and if the black marks can be cleaned off we will try and save them, I am just trying to get the engine running got it firing and burping after cleaning the carb out putting on new HT leads and plugs, and resetting the valves and points, a bit more work and I will have it purring:lol:
lucifar666
13 years ago
Yeehaa!:d :d
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Peachy! Love it!
lucifar666
13 years ago
cheeky cheeky:lol:
Well made up:d
Just need to check compressions then its engine out.
lucifar666
13 years ago
I have been trying to clean up what I think is the original number plate with the raised digits, after scraping some paint off with a blade, I have uncoverd a small plaque on the top of the plate that says 'bluemels' now I know these are old number plate suppliers, and the plastic digits seem to be painted over with a bluey white colour, right 2 questions Anyone know if 'bluemels' supplied UK bugs original plates?. And were the plastic digits originally coated blue/white or were they the cream plastic colour?

UserPostedImage
55Kab
13 years ago

I have been trying to clean up what I think is the original number plate with the raised digits, after scraping some paint off with a blade, I have uncoverd a small plaque on the top of the plate that says 'bluemels' now I know these are old number plate suppliers, and the plastic digits seem to be painted over with a bluey white colour, right 2 questions Anyone know if 'bluemels' supplied UK bugs original plates?. And were the plastic digits originally coated blue/white or were they the cream plastic colour?

lucifar666 wrote:

Yes they are the original letters. Don't throw them away as no-one makes the correct letters with the 'peaked' top to them :!:

Bluemels supplied numberplates to a lot of manufacturers in the 50's and supplied VW Motor's and its dealer's. Luckily when found the Cabrio still had its original Bluemels plates.

The digits would have looked silvery in colour when new. My plate has been restored but I'm still looking to repro the Bluemels badge as mine was too far gone to refit.

Before and after pics of the rear plate below:

p299.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  p298.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lucifar666
13 years ago
Cheers 55kab
the bluemels badge is in really good nick it had been painted over so I just gently scraped the old paint off with a blade. The digits should resto OK as well so good news:d
lucifar666
13 years ago
Any advice gratefully received:lol:

I suspect my pedal cluster is rusted and seized. I have taken off all the bolts on the pedals, and the opposite side of the tunnel and the nut off the accelerator end ,cut around the brackets on the floorpan so that is free and the assembly will not budge from the tunnel.

UserPostedImage

Anyone got an exploded view/diagram/pic to show me how this devil comes to bits.

Cheers in advance

Gary
55Kab
13 years ago

I suspect my pedal cluster is rusted and seized. I have taken off all the bolts on the pedals, and the opposite side of the tunnel and the nut off the accelerator end ,cut around the brackets on the floorpan so that is free and the assembly will not budge from the tunnel.

Anyone got an exploded view/diagram/pic to show me how this devil comes to bits

lucifar666 wrote:

I think you just need to give it some persuasion Gary.

However, I just scanned a couple pages from the 52/55 workshop manual, hope they help.:wink:

Pedal p1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Pedal p2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lucifar666
13 years ago
Cheers 55Kab, I couldn't find much on the worldwide web especially RHD. But you were dead right loads of soaking with penetrating oil and heating to cherry red and and good wellying with a big hammer shifted it,It was the accelerator pedal and the square end on the small diameter shaft corroded and seized in the floor bracket, I've had to fab up a new shaft as the original had to be cut to get it out of the tunnel.

So from this seized corroded mess
UserPostedImage

To a working unit again
UserPostedImage

That little problem has taken 4 nights and this morning to sort, Its now all oiled up and bagged up ready for reassembly.
lucifar666
13 years ago
Its been a while since an update but I've been busy, the Chassis is just about there rolling with new dual brake set up, I know its not original but my wife will be driving this once completed and I need it to be as safe as I can make it for her.

Anyway

Bracing in to keep everything straight ready for lift off
UserPostedImage

Body off ready for goosed floorpans to be cut off
UserPostedImage

Good news spine is in good nick
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Test fit of new pans needed a bit of jiggery pokery
UserPostedImage

Stitch and plug welded and seam sealed
UserPostedImage

Stripped ready for etch primer then 2 coats of 90% zinc primer
UserPostedImage

I will eventually stonechip finish these but they are protected for now
UserPostedImage
lucifar666
13 years ago
Front beam needed a lot of work, so sorted new spindles, king and link pins etc

Brakes went from this
UserPostedImage

To this
UserPostedImage

New brake lines fabbed up
UserPostedImage

Gearbox back in after a quick clean up
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Pedal cluster back where it belongs
UserPostedImage

The bonnet had gone in the usual place with the usual dents and scars
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I gave this to a coachbuilder to sort who proved to be a master at his craft and it came back better than I ever thought it would, original bonnet going back on has got to be better than a repro or replacement
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Currently on with the body repairs so I may be a while!

Last Triumph
13 years ago
Nah mate, 57's are rubbish!

:lol:

Just watched your youtube video of the first fire up with envy.... fingers crossed mine fires up and runs!

Don't suppose you've got, or could take a picture of your ignition switch could you?

I'm trying to get a replacement for mine and I;m getting conflicting informatin about long and short arm versions (whatever that means).

Here's a couple of pics of different types I've been offered but i could do with knowing which one is correct, assuming yours is OG?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...