Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline billy739  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2013 21:14:56(UTC)
billy739

Rank: Regular

Joined: 08/11/2012(UTC)
Posts: 64
Location: gloucester , england

turns out its a uk car . September 53 deliverd to vw London!

was hoping it was a uk car so now have a happy face!


ThumpUp

Edited by user 26 April 2013 13:10:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor


(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
Offline PRE57VW  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2013 09:59:41(UTC)
PRE57VW

Rank: Regular

Joined: 13/05/2012(UTC)
Posts: 22
Location: Suffolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My Oval was delivered to VW Motors London ,It was built 27th October 1953 and arrived in the UK in November. Would be great to know how many of these1953 RHD imports are still around,I think there was 743 cars imported that year.
Offline vintagebug  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2013 18:20:19(UTC)
vintagebug


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Joined: 01/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 735
Location: Glasgow (ish)

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I was told by a well-known (& well-respected) committee member of the Historic VW Club that there are around 15 ish original UK RHD 1953 Ovals still surviving, although this is only for the period between July & December 1953. I don't think he'd done any research on the March to July period.



Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Offline Sunroof53  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2013 22:41:36(UTC)
Sunroof53


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 574
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
My own 53 is a July 9 car .i thought the figure of Uk cars for that first year was around 900 .Most books I have read quote that figure unless the 743 was just ovals and the rest zwitters .Also seems odd that there are no pre July ovals and yet there appears to be pre march 10th zwitters.A gap maybe on the imports?

Mike


UserPostedImage

Edited by user 27 April 2013 23:10:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rich Oakley  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2013 10:33:14(UTC)
Rich Oakley


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 18/05/2005(UTC)
Posts: 1,548
Location: Sussex, UK

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 30 post(s)
3 known pre-March 10th UK cars,

1 or 2 known March-July UK cars.

Official imports started on July 10th.

945 VWs imported in '53.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Offline vintagebug  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2013 00:01:22(UTC)
vintagebug


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Joined: 01/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 735
Location: Glasgow (ish)

Thanks: 6 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Thanks Rich. I knew I could rely on you to produce the numbers! ThumpUp

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Offline PRE57VW  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2013 01:36:35(UTC)
PRE57VW

Rank: Regular

Joined: 13/05/2012(UTC)
Posts: 22
Location: Suffolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sorry for the inaccurate 743 , 945 is the number of cars imported. (THANKS RICH)
I have found eight RHD 1953 cars from my records/photo's that I think are UK cars.

RTC 296
ORT 927
PSK 756
625 XUA
LSF 396
KRY 724
NBT 249
HRD 809 ANY MORE ??
Offline RoRoVw  
#8 Posted : 29 April 2013 08:21:37(UTC)
RoRoVw


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Joined: 22/03/2008(UTC)
Posts: 423
Location: West Yorkshire

Thanks: 22 times
Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
At this year's Classic Motor Show at the NEC the Historic VW Club will be celebrating 60 years of VW imports into the UK by gathering together a few of these first ovals on our display. So far out of PRE57VW's list we'll have:

RTC 296
ORT 927
HRD 809

We've room for a couple more if any members want to join in the display.
Thanks.

Rob.
Offline Mike Peckham  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2013 08:51:37(UTC)
Mike Peckham


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Joined: 24/06/2008(UTC)
Posts: 343
Man
Location: Worthing West Sussex UK

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I used to own OGX 777, it was registered in September '53 (I think) but I'm not sure of its build date. It is a black car with a sunroof and a tan interior. It still exists although I'm not sure what condition it's in at the moment.

I think I have some pictures of it somewhere from when we dragged it out of a barn in 1984, it had been there for about 10 years and was in surprisingly solid and original condition. It had lived in the South of England for most of its life, mostly in Burgess Hill.

Sean Geddes and I bought it as a joint restoration project, but it ended up sitting in a lock up for another 20 years. Sean still has it and I think has plans to restore it.

Mike

Edited by user 29 April 2013 08:57:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mike Peckham attached the following image(s):
OGX 777 1.jpg (184kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
OGX 777 2.jpg (206kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
OGX 777 3.jpg (191kb) downloaded 43 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Offline PRE57VW  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2013 11:09:09(UTC)
PRE57VW

Rank: Regular

Joined: 13/05/2012(UTC)
Posts: 22
Location: Suffolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Mike that's another one for the list . OGX 777 was first registered with the DVLA on 12/11/1953 as far as the records show.
Would be great to see a pic .
Offline JULIANROBINSON  
#11 Posted : 29 April 2013 21:52:20(UTC)
JULIANROBINSON

Rank: Guest

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 02/05/2008(UTC)
Posts: 499
Man
Location: Herts, UK

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
LOW514 - Standard Model RHD Built 17th Sept 1953

629XUM - Irish - RHD - Built 7th July 1953
Offline Mike Peckham  
#12 Posted : 29 April 2013 22:00:38(UTC)
Mike Peckham


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Joined: 24/06/2008(UTC)
Posts: 343
Man
Location: Worthing West Sussex UK

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Just found these pictures from the day we picked up OGX 777. I think it was in about 1984, the '70 June Beetle was my faithful 1500.

I hired the trailer for a weekend and collected OGX 777 from Fulking in Sussex and then collected another 1953 Beetle from a scrap yard in Bedfordshire. It was complete and I bought it for parts to help with the restoration of OGX 777.

Having stripped it down, the bodyshell and chassis was buried in a very large hole on Worthing Golf Club which the club were using for landfill...

Mike

Mike Peckham attached the following image(s):
OGX 777 1.jpg (184kb) downloaded 25 time(s).
OGX 777 2.jpg (206kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
OGX 777 3.jpg (191kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Offline JULIANROBINSON  
#13 Posted : 30 April 2013 09:01:39(UTC)
JULIANROBINSON

Rank: Guest

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 02/05/2008(UTC)
Posts: 499
Man
Location: Herts, UK

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Great pix. Any photos of the one you killed? Any memorys of the Bedfordshire Scrap yard?

Offline Mike Peckham  
#14 Posted : 30 April 2013 09:53:14(UTC)
Mike Peckham


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Joined: 24/06/2008(UTC)
Posts: 343
Man
Location: Worthing West Sussex UK

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
JULIANROBINSON wrote:
Great pix. Any photos of the one you killed? Any memorys of the Bedfordshire Scrap yard?



Sorry, no pictures of the one we killed. Just to save face a bit here and help to justify scrapping it, I should mention that the roof was damaged where it had been picked up by a chain through the door openings Sad . It was complete though and had a factory reconditioned engine in it that was date stamped 1947.

I’ve just been trying to find the scrap yard on Google Earth, but there’s no sign of it. Not sure if it’s not there anymore or if I’m just looking in the wrong place. It was on the West side of the railway somewhere near Biggleswade or Arlesy. There was a b road that ran East – West through a tunnel under the railway and the scrap yard was just South of the road about ¼ mile West of the railway. It’s probably long gone.

There weren’t many VWs in the yard, but the ones that were, like all the cars in there, were quite ancient as I don’t’ think the owner had been actively buying cars for some time. The chap who ran it was a miserable old bugger who lived in a Bungalow on the site with the mandatory big, vicious dogs.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Offline PRE57VW  
#15 Posted : 30 April 2013 12:24:22(UTC)
PRE57VW

Rank: Regular

Joined: 13/05/2012(UTC)
Posts: 22
Location: Suffolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Love the shots of OGX777 being towed by your 1970 1500. Hopefully with the car being talked about on here it may inspire Sean Geddes to restart the restoration.

I have been on the DVLA records again and looks like the 1953 oval reg number LOW514 was first registered in 1/11/1953 but there is also a date of liability 17/12/1985 that I'm not sure about, maybe that is the date it was reregistered ? Anyway thanks for the info Julian Robinson I'll put it on my list.
Offline JULIANROBINSON  
#16 Posted : 30 April 2013 22:41:51(UTC)
JULIANROBINSON

Rank: Guest

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 02/05/2008(UTC)
Posts: 499
Man
Location: Herts, UK

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
PRE57VW wrote:
Love the shots of OGX777 being towed by your 1970 1500. Hopefully with the car being talked about on here it may inspire Sean Geddes to restart the restoration.

I have been on the DVLA records again and looks like the 1953 oval reg number LOW514 was first registered in 1/11/1953 but there is also a date of liability 17/12/1985 that I'm not sure about, maybe that is the date it was reregistered ? Anyway thanks for the info Julian Robinson I'll put it on my list.



The date of Liability is when the tax ran out... its still alive (just)
Offline JULIANROBINSON  
#17 Posted : 30 April 2013 22:43:24(UTC)
JULIANROBINSON

Rank: Guest

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 02/05/2008(UTC)
Posts: 499
Man
Location: Herts, UK

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Mike Peckham wrote:
Sorry, no pictures of the one we killed. Just to save face a bit here and help to justify scrapping it, I should mention that the roof was damaged where it had been picked up by a chain through the door openings Sad . It was complete though and had a factory reconditioned engine in it that was date stamped 1947.

I’ve just been trying to find the scrap yard on Google Earth, but there’s no sign of it. Not sure if it’s not there anymore or if I’m just looking in the wrong place. It was on the West side of the railway somewhere near Biggleswade or Arlesy. There was a b road that ran East – West through a tunnel under the railway and the scrap yard was just South of the road about ¼ mile West of the railway. It’s probably long gone.

There weren’t many VWs in the yard, but the ones that were, like all the cars in there, were quite ancient as I don’t’ think the owner had been actively buying cars for some time. The chap who ran it was a miserable old bugger who lived in a Bungalow on the site with the mandatory big, vicious dogs.

Mike


That is so interesting... right on my "patch" where I am now.. I'd love to know what came of it.. or where it was..
Offline Sunroof53  
#18 Posted : 01 May 2013 06:49:14(UTC)
Sunroof53


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 574
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I wouldn't take the registration date as any indication of the age.The car could be some months earlier .My own car wasn't registered until 1954 .not sure why as the birth certificate says it arrived in the uk on the 13 July. 1953.
Offline PRE57VW  
#19 Posted : 01 May 2013 10:10:18(UTC)
PRE57VW

Rank: Regular

Joined: 13/05/2012(UTC)
Posts: 22
Location: Suffolk

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sunroof53 wrote:
I wouldn't take the registration date as any indication of the age.The car could be some months earlier .My own car wasn't registered until 1954 .not sure why as the birth certificate says it arrived in the uk on the 13 July. 1953.


I was aware that the oval LOW514 was built on 17th Sep 1953 from Julian Robinson but was just trying to confirm weather it was one of the original 945 cars officially imported into the UK in 1953. I would guess that as it was registered on 1st Nov 1953 with the DVLA that it
most likely is .

It could be that the cars were only registered once they had been sold ?
Offline Sunroof53  
#20 Posted : 01 May 2013 20:16:31(UTC)
Sunroof53


Rank: pre67vw Junkie

Medals: Volksworld Elite: For getting your pre '67 VW featured in Volksworld Magazine

Joined: 28/10/2008(UTC)
Posts: 574
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
PRE57VW wrote:
I was aware that the oval LOW514 was built on 17th Sep 1953 from Julian Robinson but was just trying to confirm weather it was one of the original 945 cars officially imported into the UK in 1953. I would guess that as it was registered on 1st Nov 1953 with the DVLA that it
most likely is .

It could be that the cars were only registered once they had been sold ?



I had always thought all cars were registered when they were sold as the document has the buyers name on it .Maybe it was different back then .i have a record from the Cheshire records offiice showing the name of owner and date of the first registration but I wonder if this is the same as a dvla document or even if Dvla was even formed in 53 .How did you register a car back then?

Sorry if I have gone of topic

Mike
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.