ianmac
9 years ago
Motor was set up on rolling road....UserPostedImage 

Out on the road, the yellow tint is the liberal covering of Ankor wax to hopefully give another 60 years service....

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 
Robb
9 years ago
looks great! yer I saw Ben was using his detail magic on it 😎
Lost64
9 years ago
Hi Ian,

Great to see your barndoor looking so good after it's bout of TLC.:beer:

I recently bought a set of old VW Motoring magazines, and your bus gets quite a few mentions in a register set up by Jennifer Pedlar. At the time it was owned by a guy in Dumfriesshire in south west Scotland, which isn't too far away from me. The bus won quite a few trophies due to it's age and condition, and was regularly seen as far afield as Stanford Hall, and the Scottish VW Festival held at Doune Motor Museum in Stirlingshire.

Do you know if the guy in Dumfriesshire is still on the scene? He acted as an intermediary for me when I bought several parts for an Oval I owned back in the 1990's, and I visited his place back then. If memory serves me right, he was a welder with considerable talents, and was building a Type 82E from an Oval, but using panels salvaged from several split Beetles.

It's great to see an early bus being preserved:thumbup: , and not lowered with the usual lairy engine and wheel combination.:thumbdn:

I hope to see it in the metal soon.

Gavin.
ianmac
9 years ago

Hi Ian,

Great to see your barndoor looking so good after it's bout of TLC.:beer:

I recently bought a set of old VW Motoring magazines, and your bus gets quite a few mentions in a register set up by Jennifer Pedlar. At the time it was owned by a guy in Dumfriesshire in south west Scotland, which isn't too far away from me. The bus won quite a few trophies due to it's age and condition, and was regularly seen as far afield as Stanford Hall, and the Scottish VW Festival held at Doune Motor Museum in Stirlingshire.

Do you know if the guy in Dumfriesshire is still on the scene? He acted as an intermediary for me when I bought several parts for an Oval I owned back in the 1990's, and I visited his place back then. If memory serves me right, he was a welder with considerable talents, and was building a Type 82E from an Oval, but using panels salvaged from several split Beetles.

It's great to see an early bus being preserved:thumbup: , and not lowered with the usual lairy engine and wheel combination.:thumbdn:

I hope to see it in the metal soon.

Gavin.

Originally Posted by: Lost64 

Thanks Gavin, I posted a picture of the bus on FB and I was contacted by the son of Brian Coupland who was the owner of KAV in the early 1980s, he put me in touch with his elder brother who I spoke to on the telephone. He told me that his dad was heavily involved in the VW scene in the late seventies and early eighties, he knew the first owner of KAV John Garden, it was during a trip to see John in the late seventies that John mentioned that he had one of the first buses sold into the UK and that he had since sold it to a market trader nearby, apparently Brian bought the bus from the market trader and kept it hid from his wife until he sold his Okrasa engine oval beetle.

Ken Coupland explained that his dad worked in Dunfries as a postman and KAV was his daily driver for around 4-5 years. Sadly Brian passed away a few years ago, but his son said that he still had the original dealer supplied number plates and the orange glass brake light lense, apparently his dad fitted a post 55 red lense as he felt it was safer. Ken talked about many family holidays in KAV and it was great to establish more of the history of this bus.