adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
I think i should pull the engine out sometime.

Unfortunatly tho, this car is my daily driver (and also my only car!) so having more then about a day of downtime would be a bad thing.

I can borrow an engine, which is a 1300 of early 70's vintage, so i can drive on that while rebuilding my F code 60's engine. I regretfully do not remember what letter code the temporary engine would be, exept that it started life as a early 70's 1200 and then was made to 1300 apparintly. All stock exept the dreaded vomit-worthy cheap 009 repro.

As far as i know, the 12v flywheel will not fit into my car, since the bellhousing is a little too small, and also the 12v flywheel will not engage in the starter motor. So i have to swap flywheels. Which means trying to undo what is officially THE tightest nut in the universe, right?

But is there anything else i need to do? Would my 6v dynamo fit the 12v tinwear/dynamo stand? Will i have to also fit a 6v clutch to the 12v engine to match the flywheel? Would i also need to fit a new crankshaft to fit the clutch? Should i just give up now BEFORE i have 2.5 engines in bits on the road 😛 ?

Does anybody know exactly which parts need to be changed when putting a 12v engine into a 6v car with original 6v box?

I assume the engine DOES mate to the bellhousing at least?

Having never owned a 6v before, i dont know the differences.

As a side note, i seem to remember briefly hearing from someone about how to fix the bellhousing problem. You put a 12v engine onto the mounts with loose bolts, start it, and with the engine running slowly tighten up the bolts. The steel (or cast iron?) ring gear will very easily eat the magnesium casing with absolutely no damage to the ring gear. Is this true? I have no intension of doing this, but im just curious as to either varify or disprove this, as i only heard it from someone once.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Grind out the bellhousing properly (and carefully!) and it should be OK - don´t use the backstreet mechanic method for heavens sake!!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Err...i dont want to grind it out. That was just a semi-off topic curiosity thing that i didnt think warrents its own thread.

Im just wandering, what do i need to change to fit the 12v engine temporarily while i rebuild mine? Or does the bellhousing NEED to be ground?
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I think all you need to do is fit 6v flywheel to the other engine, along with the coil, regulator if it is in the engine bay and the choke element if it has one!
William
adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Yes, this engine has a generator-mounted regulator, so thats no problem really, it comes with the gen in one unit. The electrics of course also, but the coil and carb choke element are identical i think so will just swap over.

So i just need to swap the flywheels over? That makes things simpler.

By the way, would my 1300 F code engine have thesame pistons/barrels/heads as any other 1300? Or are they different and need earlier parts? Is there anything i should watch for when rebuilding this one since im used to late 1600tp's?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Err...i dont want to grind it out. That was just a semi-off topic curiosity thing that i didnt think warrents its own thread.

Im just wandering, what do i need to change to fit the 12v engine temporarily while i rebuild mine? Or does the bellhousing NEED to be ground?

adi #2 wrote:

You have to in order to use the 12v flywheel - its not a big deal actually.

But sorry, I didn´t really read it all properly. What Gertie says is probably your best bet, swapping the flywheel, otherwise its a full 12v conversion (boo, hiss!) I´d just wind the choke open unless you really need it. Those things are terrible for fuel economy. And fit a new flywheel oilseal while you are there. The old one might not play nice with the new flywheel or may be bad anyway if the motor has been standing around and you wouldn´t want to have to pull the motor again.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage