Delilah '62
14 years ago
Hello!

Hoping for a little vintage advice!!

Having had my wheels re-finished I am looking to get hold of some cross-plys - any recommendations?
I think I need 5.60 15s... It's for a 62...

I'm seeing some very worrying prices, all well over £100 ea. Hearing about cheaper Camacs - but can't seem to locate anyone who actually has some.

She's only done 23k since 1962, so I don't need anything to cope with many miles a year...

Thanks!!

Jaq :d
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
(On FACEBOOK as Delilah Volkswagen)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Hello!

Hoping for a little vintage advice!!

Having had my wheels re-finished I am looking to get hold of some cross-plys - any recommendations?
I think I need 5.60 15s... It's for a 62...

I'm seeing some very worrying prices, all well over £100 ea. Hearing about cheaper Camacs - but can't seem to locate anyone who actually has some.

She's only done 23k since 1962, so I don't need anything to cope with many miles a year...

Thanks!!

Jaq :d

Delilah '62 wrote:

Hi Jaq,

https://www.vintagetyres.com/  ...and speak to John Moxon on this forum. Your car is special and deserves the best.

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
51reutter
14 years ago
yap, Camac's  are Portuguese...

I think the company is no longer fabricating the 560-15 :cry:

Try Michelin 

Instagram | @early_type
harveypj
14 years ago
Northants tyres are also worth a look, they give a discount to historic vw club members.

Stock......the new custom
mrsherbie
14 years ago
FIRESTONES all the way!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
GKL 7
14 years ago

FIRESTONES all the way!

mrsherbie wrote:

American tyres on a German car[-x Get youself some "Continentals".
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Yes but in this game we have to stick to crossplies that can actually still be found ! :lol: Continentals are lovely my fatchick still has her og spare :d If I owned such a super low mile uk car as that white one I would probably search high and low for nos dunlops! of course it might take a while! :shock: but anything can be found :d
mrsherbie
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago
Search e-bay.de for "Reifen Continental"
You'll find 15 inch crossplys,if you find 16's please tell me:wink:
I hope that's an apple pie,i don't like rhubarb.
Delilah '62
14 years ago
Hi,

Thanks for all of this advice. I've had a look round those sites, but it looks like the firestones are just too expensive for the moment.

Any thoughts on radials... The michelins look great, but just as pricey as the cross plies.

I have seen vredestein sprint classics, which I can afford... What's you opinion on 155 15 vs 165 15?

Thanks all!

J
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
harveypj
14 years ago
165 will give a closer to correct side wall heigh but will look super chuncky width wise.
A 560/15 cross ply has more like a 145 radial tread width. Radials will not fill the arch quite the same though and have a square shoulder in comparisum. (No pie crust here:( )
If I were fitting radials I'd go for a 155 as best compromise.
On the plus side your car will ride/drive better. Xplies look real cool on a vintage motor but are an experience if you are used to modern radials.

Pete.
Stock......the new custom
kdf38
14 years ago
I like apple, but nothing is better than Rhubarb pie! :beer:
Actually, I don't recall any pie I dislike...

Mike

Search e-bay.de for "Reifen Continental"
You'll find 15 inch crossplys,if you find 16's please tell me:wink:
I hope that's an apple pie,i don't like rhubarb.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
GKL 7
14 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for all of this advice. I've had a look round those sites, but it looks like the firestones are just too expensive for the moment.

Any thoughts on radials... The michelins look great, but just as pricey as the cross plies.

I have seen vredestein sprint classics, which I can afford... What's you opinion on 155 15 vs 165 15?

Thanks all!

J

Delilah '62 wrote:

I bought 4 new CHEAPER tyres once and congratulated myself on saving money.
It was only when a dog ran into the road on a wet day and i broke hard,skidding and mounting the pavement to miss two small children by inches,i relised what a mistake it was.
Your life and the lives of others depend on good tyres,please do not try and skimp on them.
BTW this is meant as a bit of friendly advice.I changed my cheap tyres the next day,a lesson that cost me more than if i'd bought the good ones in the first place.
pre67vw
14 years ago

It was only when a dog ran into the road on a wet day and i broke hard,skidding and mounting the pavement to miss two small children by inches,i relised what a mistake it was.
Your life and the lives of others depend on good tyres,please do not try and skimp on them.
BTW this is meant as a bit of friendly advice.I changed my cheap tyres the next day,a lesson that cost me more than if i'd bought the good ones in the first place.

'50 Karmann wrote:

So you like dogs more than kids? Crossplies are notoriously bad in the wet, regardless of the price...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
14 years ago

So you like dogs more than kids? Crossplies are notoriously bad in the wet, regardless of the price...

pre67vw wrote:

I meant to say Rob,they weren't crossplies, the OP had started to enquire about Radials.But a cheap tyre is a cheap tyre is rubbish.
Never forget the faces on those Children:cry: could have fixed the car, but that was too damn close.
Delilah '62
14 years ago
Hi,

Not looking at anything so cheap that safety is sacrificed, but thanks for the advice, much appreciated. That sounds like a horrible experience you've had.

I didn't see those cross plies on ebay.de though - did get lots of tyre hits, but didn't see anything suitable (may have been lost in translation tho! :? )

I have decided that I know I won't be happy with the look of radials, so am back to cross plies (firestones). I may have to sell my husband to pay for them, but I'm sure he'll understand.

Just need to choose between black and white walls and away with the alloys! :lol:

Any thoughts on white walls....?

Thanks again,

J
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Delilah '62 wrote:

They can look okay very occasionly, that is on the right car. :?

On some they just look bloody odd. What colour is your beetle, Bahama? If so, it may look good 😎
William
Delilah '62
14 years ago
It's a pearl white '62...
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
pre67vw
14 years ago
Whitewalls are a little like marmite tyres, it seems often that you either love them or hate them. For me the problem with them is that the Americans think that anything vintage should have them so they turn up on some very inapropriate cars at times.

But having said that, add whitewalls and your car suddenly does seem to step back in time...

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

Thanks again,

J

Delilah '62 wrote:

UserPostedImage

Firestone Whitewalls from Vintage Tyres at The National Motor Museum, Beaulieu: Not cheap  and to be honest, not suited to every car colour. In my opinion they look good with darker colours.
John.