lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

:d :d :d

Ok, back to the main subject- tyres.

Firestone, US Royal, Coker. Which are the best?

vintagebug wrote:

Firestone I think...US Royal show cracks on the white wall quite quickly (according to a friend in the US who has them) although Coker Radial whitewalls were used by VW Mexico on their last edition Beetle so should be pretty good if available in X ply.
John.
pre67vw
13 years ago
I have Denman's which seem really good, but I don't think you can get them anymore. I'd vote Firestones...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
13 years ago

I have Denman's which seem really good, but I don't think you can get them anymore. I'd vote Firestones...

pre67vw wrote:

Not sure you can still get white Firestones either...

pre67vw
13 years ago

Not sure you can still get white Firestones either...

55Kab wrote:

I think you can, but they're not cheap...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
13 years ago

I think you can, but they're not cheap...

pre67vw wrote:

Where from Rob? All the usual suspects have just the Cokers (so ahem someone told me :oops: )

vintagebug
13 years ago

Vintage Tyres have Firestones whitewalls "in stock", according to their website:-

https://www.vintagetyres.com/display.asp?K=20110310_1108_000253&m=12&ds=firestone&dc=59&sort=sort_size&mw=3&st_01=firestone&sf_01=manufacturer&st_02=not  tube&sf_02=type

Not cheap though, £139 + VAT each :omg:

Plus inner tubes...
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
pre67vw
13 years ago
I think Northants Tyres do them? Last time I was at BBT in Belgium, they had loads of them as well - seems like most of the European whitewall'd cars use Firestones, if they're hard to get in the UK, maybe Europe is an option?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

I think Northants Tyres do them? Last time I was at BBT in Belgium, they had loads of them as well - seems like most of the European whitewall'd cars use Firestones, if they're hard to get in the UK, maybe Europe is an option?

pre67vw wrote:

I sourced some Firestones in Germany and France when I was looking 3 years ago and there was no price advantage so I bought locally from Vintage Tyres. As a member of the Hampshire VW Owners Club we can get a discount...maybe Rob could phone them and see if he could negotiate a discount for Pre67VW members.:smile:
John.
vintagebug
13 years ago

...I bought locally from Vintage Tyres. As a member of the Hampshire VW Owners Club we can get a discount...maybe Rob could phone them and see if he could negotiate a discount for Pre67VW members.:smile:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Great idea! Do it Rob, do it!! :beer:

Dave
pre67vw
13 years ago

Great idea! Do it Rob, do it!! :beer:

vintagebug wrote:

Email sent...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
13 years ago
I'm good to you... :thumbup:

Hi rob,

Yours is exactly the type of website we like to support. We would be happy to give all your members 5% discount and free UK mainland carriage.

I drive an aircooled VW myself so am always pleased to help others.. and stock is always the way to go for me ;)

Let me know if I can help with anything else – tyre pictures, information, fitting charts etc…

Thanks
Charlie
Vintage Tyres

Just call up and mention you're a member of the site and get your discount!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
13 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

:thumbup: :beer:

cupa65
13 years ago
Hi
I can't see what the crossply fuss is all about. Radials were available in the 50's!The reason they replaced crossply tyres is that they are far superior and safer.

5 star anyone?
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/index  for a range of suitable radials with that vintage look.
GKL 7
13 years ago
vintagebug
13 years ago

:thumbup: :thumbup:

pre67vw wrote:

Nice work Rob! :beer:

Dave
Robb
12 years ago
does anyone have to run tubes with their crossplies?
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

does anyone have to run tubes with their crossplies?

Robb wrote:

https://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13168 

John.
Robb
12 years ago
thanks John, will have a read.

cheers :thumbup: