SixtyFive
14 years ago
after years of rambling on about trying to find an unwelded bug, i've finally done it!

it an unwelded (well except from the rear bumper mounts...) originally ruby red 66,
but its got the original 1/4's all round, channels!

it was painted in the early 80's, and the bonnet was replaced
all the inside has been left in the original red, original carpets, mats and 66 only interior 😎

UserPostedImage

am picking it up in the next week or 2.
i've sold pretty much all of my vw stuff to fund it, but its more than worth it!
and yes, it WILL be staying stock..... for now! :twisted: (ok, for a very long time!!)

plan is to reveal the original paint, and fit the correct mounts, then waxoyl it to death!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
SixtyFive
14 years ago
...well... a stock car on a stock forum!?! thought it would attract, like fly's to a rotting corpse! :shock: :lol:

anyone know how to strip the top layer of paint off, to reveal the original ruby red underneath?
or is there no chance?

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Great find! 😎

No idea about the paint I´m afraid, but it was probably resprayed for a reason. Not sure how good it´s ever going to look if you do manage to get the top coat off.

Its a very good find anyhow, knowing how 66s like to rust! Keep us posted.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Si Med
14 years ago
Sorry to link to another forum, but worth a read
Be Brave!:twisted:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072 
54 UK rhd
SixtyFive
14 years ago
thanks, and thanks for the link!
14 years ago
Cool photo ;)

I had a look round the car... its a nice find for the price they were asking :d

I'd just bought a 66000 mile 1303 and a 47000 mile 181 Trekker the few weeks before... so i had no space or money.
www.vwoval.co.uk
GKL 7
14 years ago

I'd just bought a 66000 mile 1303

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
mrsherbie
14 years ago

:oops: :oops: :oops:

'50 Karmann wrote:

my fatty is only 30k miles but you'd never know it given the rough old treatment its had living in the countryside locally all its life :lol: ( the car not the partner :lol: )

Congratulations on the car sixtyfive! You deserve to find a good car if anyone does.
As JD points out, 9 times out of 10 cars especially in uk have been repainted for a reason, but you can always blow in any bad bits you find.
I have tried oven cleaners & Grafitti removers and they didnt really work for me although some do soften the paint up making it easier to remove, I think it depends a lot on what paint was used on the newer top coat. Also razors can chip out paint really easily you have to be really gentle. There is always the really hard work really fine wet & dry papers option which I prefer & use ocassionally but it takes AGES and surface has to be smooth & free from dings & wrinkles.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
SixtyFive
14 years ago

Cool photo ;)

I had a look round the car... its a nice find for the price they were asking :d

I'd just bought a 66000 mile 1303 and a 47000 mile 181 Trekker the few weeks before... so i had no space or money.

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

yeah, he mentioned someone from herts vw club had a look!
any pics of this 1303? :d (ok, pm it to me, being a pre 67 forum!!)

thanks anna :d
i think i might try on small areas, till i get bored and decided to have the whole car resprayed :lol:
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Yes I am not allowed to post her up as page3 bird as shes too young & fit :shock: :lol: But shes just a dark green kab beige hood 79 bit rough in places but on the whole alright.

Just remember golden rule that everyone including me! forgets when they get excited and carried away with enthusiasm on the job :lol: start somewhere that is not so visible! bottom 6 inches of car front/back under bumpers will be a good indicator of how good the rest might come up ie. if its good there then it cant get too much worse hopefully. But then I would probably not bother and leave whole car as is, but thats more through laziness than anything though :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Yes, well done on the car Tom

All I will say is that before launching into the paintwork just have a good look around the car. For example, whip the door cards off and check for and big dings etc that might be covered up with filler, or you may spot if you are very unlucky past welding work but from your description I doubt that.

I guess all im saying is that even if the majority of the good original paint is there, you dont want to have too many area that need touchups as realistically you are never going to get paint to match perfectly.

Good luck and post some nice photos of it when you get it. :wink:
William
14 years ago

yeah, he mentioned someone from herts vw club had a look!
any pics of this 1303? :d (ok, pm it to me, being a pre 67 forum!!)

SixtyFive wrote:

Is anyone looking?

Its on the telly at the moment!

Its a bit tatty, but rock solid and lovely to drive.

Sadly, i'm gonna have to sell it... I really do have too many cars!

www.vwoval.co.uk
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Is anyone looking?

Its on the telly at the moment!

Its a bit tatty, but rock solid and lovely to drive.

Sadly, i'm gonna have to sell it... I really do have too many cars!

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Real nice car.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
SixtyFive
14 years ago
picking it up on thursday night :d

will get some pics then! 😃
SixtyFive
14 years ago
ended picking it up this morning

and will be staying stock, with a few accessories! as too nice and untouched to modify
i forgot how well a stock beetle drives compared to a noisy lowered bug :d
VW Stan
14 years ago

i forgot how well a stock beetle drives compared to a noisy lowered bug :d

SixtyFive wrote:

Don't let you mates over on restowagen hear you say that!
:wink:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
SixtyFive
14 years ago
:lol:

the stock shifter takes a bit of getting used to, like changing gears with a twig! :oops:
SixtyFive
14 years ago
any ideas where i can get an original genuine outer scraper?

as some inbred tried breaking into it last night :evil: the joys of having a house with no drive! and my unit has no space...

but on the upside, the centres of the front seats have been repaired today
55Kab
14 years ago

any ideas where i can get an original genuine outer scraper? as some inbred tried breaking into it last night :evil:

SixtyFive wrote:

See if it had been lowered with a noisey engine they wouldn't have given it a second look! :lol:
55Kab
14 years ago

Don't let you mates over on restowagen hear you say that!:wink:

VW Stan wrote:

Don't worry Malc he's already been reported! :wink: :lol: