nick_schembri
13 years ago
Hi,

My name's Nick, I'm new to the forum. I bought this 1957 beetle. The log book says that it was purchased new in September 1957. I have a couple of questions, coz I just took it to a garage where a guy with lots of previous experience is going to help me with a full restoration. I would like to know if the lights at the back are original or not, because most early beetles I've seen don't seem to have indicators on the tail lights.

The guy I bought it from had modern alloy wheels on it, but I asked for the car's original wheels and luckily he had them in storage.

I was told that almost all parts are the original parts the car came with. The engine is in full working order too, but its been obviously sprayed to hide rust 😳

I took off the fenders, bumbers, seats, bonnet and engine lid before transportation

I bought the car for around $1000. Was it a good deal? I had to buy it coz I've always wanted an early beetle.

Thanks,
Nick (from Malta, Europe).
 Image(166).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Image(167).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_205.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_2051.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_2062.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
13 years ago
Your lights should be the same as a late oval,no indicator lights included.  2023257.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Although there are a few updates it still looks a good buy.You can always change bits as you find them.There is plenty of support here if you want to know anything,Most important thing is that you enjoy your new ride .8)
nick_schembri
13 years ago
Could you mention any updates that you can notice? I've already made arrangements to replace the radio and remove the horn button next to the steering wheel
pre67vw
13 years ago
Looks a good car! are there many RHD old VW's in Malta?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
nick_schembri
13 years ago
Most VWs here are RHD, just saw a nice oval for sale this morning, but its a bit over my budget, considering there's alot of work to be done on it
48REME
13 years ago
I think this is an extremely good buy for $1000, well done.
You have a nice old beetle, full of character and a vintage feel without the hassle of hard to find and over-expensive parts of the earlier models. (Of course, I would say that!:wink: ) It's also a reliable year. Does your car still have the semaphore indicators? You must weld up those front indicator holes on the front wings to complete the correct look. What was the original colour of the car? Good luck with your new toy.:wink:
nick_schembri
13 years ago
I was told the front wing indicators are original. I read that at the end of 1957 the indicators were placed at the top of the front wings. I don't know about the semaphores, when the paint is off, I'll have to check for evidence, coz it doesnt look like there are any. If it had them they must have been removed
48REME
13 years ago
In 1957, indicators were placed on front wings of US cars but not on European models. Your car being RHD rules that option out. European cars still had semaphores until August 1960. You need to check if you still have the cavities where the semaphore indicators would have been.
When you rewire the lights, your 1955-60 taillights should only light up and get brighter when brakes are applied. As you indicate, it's the semaphores who will light up to do the signaling. Here's another pic of the correct taillights.
The indicators on your front wings are of a later (1964-onwards) type anyway. This is what 1957-63 (in the US) or 1960-63 (European models) front wing indicators look like.:wink:  166445.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  640229.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  319299.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
nick_schembri
13 years ago
Thanks alot for that, I'll have it checked out then
48REME
13 years ago
You're welcome. In case you don't know, you also have American 'towel rail' bumpers, an option of the time. Good luck and enjoy your new toy!:wink:
nick_schembri
13 years ago
There's this patch of blue paint underneath the bonnet. It looks like very old paint. Could that be the original colour? There's also the same colour paint on some areas when you peel off the new paint...  Colour.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Thats probably original colour. Maybe Horizon Blue? Maybe...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/bug57.htm 

Your motor is not the original unit either. Still a good car for the money I think.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
nick_schembri
13 years ago
I keep learning new things about my car. So what makes you think that its not the original engine? is there something I could check?

Thanks
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

I keep learning new things about my car. So what makes you think that its not the original engine? is there something I could check?

Thanks

nick_schembri wrote:

The fan cover is a later one, so the motor probably is too. Post the engine number, or at least the first letter and we will have a better idea what it´s from.
UserPostedImage
48REME
13 years ago
This is a 1957 30bhp engine which, I think, is all correct and factory-standard. Also, a Horizon Blue 1956 oval which, incidentally is from the US, hence the towel rail bumpers that you have. I must admit, I have never seen a Horizon Blue 1957 square-window beetle yet but maybe others have. It was definitely available for 1956 and 1957 ovals.:wink:  1957.engine.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  horizon.blue.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

It was definitely available for 1956 and 1957 ovals.:wink:

48REME wrote:

I was just looking at WW colour charts - there doesn´t seem to be a light blue available for 58 model year. Didn´t know what else it could be.
UserPostedImage
nick_schembri
13 years ago
Could it be Glacier Blue? It does look light blue. I'm going to have a closer look this saturday as its currently at the panel beater's. By the way the engine number starts with a D if that helps with identifying the engine's age
pre67vw
13 years ago
D engine code was a 1200 available from Aug 1965
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
13 years ago

Could it be Glacier Blue? It does look light blue. I'm going to have a closer look this saturday as its currently at the panel beater's.

nick_schembri wrote:

Why not unclip the door panels, or the rear quarter panels, you might find some hidden original colour.