Rattletrap
13 years ago
I started my '49 for first time since the summer of 2006, yesterday.

Yep, she started first turn. :d

When you consider the 99.9% untouched originality of the car and the probability that the engine has never been out in her entire life, that's damn fantastic. Brakes and clutch were fine too. How many British classics, Minis, Minors, Rolls, Jags, other Volkswagens or today's cr*p boxes could do that.

Previous to that I started her in 2003 to get the Tatra in. The '49 then had then been standing since 1987 and as you'd expect took a little coaxing after 16 years, but not much though. When I started her again in 2006 it was pretty much on the button.

Yep the Beetle is the all-time motoring great and this export '49 is really the cream of Wolfsburg's finest. Nicest vintage car I've ever had.

The other great Beetle year I can tell you is 1958. It's probably the best year of all I'd say from my extensive experience in Beetles. I've had pretty well all years built, with four 1958's. Every year from 1958 was a step-down, they are just not as good. Continual changes to cut down build costs and speed-up production saw to that.:mellow:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
Did you manage to get any photos? :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago
I agree that '58 is probably the best year. My '63 feels a tad modern compared to one, with it's steering damper and slightly more modern 1192cc engine. Also the lack of gearbox whine (which I love in 'older' Beetles), and the fact I can engage 1st whilst rolling.

Build quality is nowhere near that of a 50's car, and nice little details in pressings were lost. They dont have as much charm, and although I still love them, this is even more evident in '64- car. Bigger windows etc, that in my eyes is when changes began for looks rather than performance.

The increase in window size for '58 (front and rear) made sense, as the rear viability out of an oval/split is silly at best, and the windscreen although not too bad, did always feel a bit on the small size.

However, these small (and larger towards the end) changes during the cars life made it salable decades after it was first put into production.

Anyway, as said above, got any photos?
William
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Interesting topic, my personal favourite ever beetle model year has to be 56, all the charm and charecter of the iconic oval rear window but with the slightly more refined mechanicals of the late fifties beetles. I always think that the rear lights look somehow more proprtionaly correct and better placed than the heart lights and I love the twin chrome exhausts. But that's just me.

As regards the best beetle year from a practical point of view, I too would happily go with 1958 as it remains a well built, well conceived vehicle with all the benefits of the substantially improved all round visability. I would push it to the 1960 model year though as the last to have the 30BHP engine, screw terminals, split case gear box and semaphores but with one or two nice refinements over the '58 and '59 models.:thumbup:

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Agree with what was said pretty much. My 59 just seems to drive really nice, clutch and gearbox are a great too. Always think the non syncro first adds character too:smile:
Rattletrap
13 years ago
I love having the wool headliner and the pull-out door handles, and the semaphores are a MUST for a car to feel vintage. The European '58 has all these goodies still. 6 volt flashing indicators are often weak in the sun.

Perversely, I prefer the look of the rear of the small rectangular window cars to that of the ovals, which look bit like a one-eyed Rattletrap to me when I see them.:d

Once the factory went over to the curved glass rear window they could have gone bigger straight away. The split window is the way it is because the use of flat glass in the sharply curved area that is the back of a Beetle, is very restricted – hence the divider and small pane size.:smile:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Still going through my cars over the pleasant weather periods for crank up and check up.:smile:

This time over the Easter break my two 1950 cars, and the Tatra T87. First my grey 1950 Standard. After over a year standing she started nearly as readily as the '49 did, and sounds just as nice. Again everything worked on this generally unrestored scruffy survivor car and of course the cable operated brakes were fine. This was a car that was kept almost constantly in use throughout its life in Germany until being acquired by me in 1991. It was my daily drive for a couple of years in the 1990s and now enjoys a life of idleness. It was painted orange (outside only) sometime in the 1970s, and I have since repainted it back into its correct colour, a nice semi-matt pearl grey.

Next followed the Tatra T87, the V8 air-cooled motor was a little reluctant. But with some toiling and bruised knuckles off it went. The poor little VWs seemed to tremble as this monster roared:!:

Not so good though yesterday with my black 1950 Deluxe. Only started him recently but even so the clutch had stuck. So wheels blocked, handbrake firmly on and a fully charged 12v battery in place on this 6v car. In first gear, clutch depressed and push the starter button. Nice big thump/wallop and the clutch released. I prefer this method to the bother of removing the engine, I've got away with this a few times with other cars too. However, the hydraulic brakes will require some extra attention. That's the great advantage of collecting Standard models, they've no hydraulics and stand untouched for years with brakes still fine (unless you leave the hand-brake on of course).:wink:

Next weekend will see my '51 Standard pulled out for a check over.:mellow:

Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Sounds like you had a great Easter Break John - fiddling with ancient VWs is a fantastic way to spend time in this great weather. Did you take any pictures?

I've never owned a Standard, but I understand regular adjustment is more crucial with cable brakes, is that right?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
six-o-one
13 years ago

I've never owned a Standard, but I understand regular adjustment is more crucial with cable brakes, is that right?

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Only when you drive them! :rofl: 😛

Rattletrap
13 years ago

Sounds like you had a great Easter Break John - fiddling with ancient VWs is a fantastic way to spend time in this great weather. Did you take any pictures?

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

After a couple of heavy 'emergency stops' an adjustment may be required, Mike.

However when I drive them (yes, WHEN six-o-one:p ), I drive them with a care and speed that befits such a vintage vehicle. I rarely have needed to adjust the cables.

Even if you don't drive a Deluxe, you end-up fiddling around with messy hydraulic brakes eventually.

I think you'd love a Standard model Mike. They really feel so vintage on the road.:wink:

Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Even if you don't drive a Deluxe, you end-up fiddling around with messy hydraulic brakes eventually.

Rattletrap wrote:

I think it's more a case of when you don't drive a de-luxe you're likely to need to fiddle with the brakes. My 1972 Marathon Beetle has just had four new slave cylinders and a complete set of brake shoes fitted for its MOT, looking at the previous MOTs it's done a little under 2000 miles since 1997. The garage that carried out the work (a good old fashioned garage) made it very clear that they thought I should drive the car more. The adjusters had siezed and the slave cylinders were weeping, they said through lack of use.

The trouble is, I much prefer driving the '57 oval, which has covered 3000 miles in the last year, and I now have a cabrio which has been getting a lot of use in this great weather!

I have to say, the oval certainly seems to benefit from being used, and I think the same can be said of the cabrio, which with under 37,000 miles on the clock when I bought it and virtually no miles between MOTs has freed up cinsiderably and feels more alive than ever now that I have put 500 miles on it in the last week!

If we have a nice summer, the Oval might not do too many miles this year...

Mike

Rattletrap
13 years ago

I think it's more a case of when you don't drive a de-luxe you're likely to need to fiddle with the brakes...

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

We'll have to agree to differ here, Mike.

Driven or not hydraulics deteriorate. The hydraulic fluid has to be changed after a few years. Then there's the collapsed, split, rotting or twisted rubber hoses, not to mention the rusting metal brake lines leaking master and wheel cylinders….

I'm so pleased that my '49 Deluxe is so early of the type – she has cable brakes the same as the Standards.:d

Mike Peckham
13 years ago

We'll have to agree to differ here, Mike.

Rattletrap wrote:

I think you missed my point, I agree with you! :beer: I was saying that my 72 Marathon Beetle with hydraulic brakes needed a complete brake overhaul for its MOT this year and the garage put it down to lack of use. Isn't that the point you are making?

I think it's generally true that a car needs to be driven and properly maintained to keep everything in proper running order. This has certainly proved to be the case with the Marathon Beetle, which after over ten years of little more than going to the MOT station and back has needed a lot of money spent on it (clutch, brakes, oil seals etc.)just to get it back into running condition. Where as the Oval, which has covered 3000 miles since the last MOT, flew through the test and is running better than ever.

Mike
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Yes, hydraulic brakes need maintenance used or not.

Cables do not, (outer sleeves should have a good deal of grease in them though) and if they're driven occasionally and carefully, still do not in my experience.:smile:

Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Good, glad we got that cleared up! :thumbup:

I've been fortunate with my hydraulic brakes, in over 30 years of beetle ownership (covering literally hundreds of thousands of miles over Europe and North Africa)I've rarely needed to do much with the brakes on any of them, other than regular adjustment and changing shoes. They have been driven pretty hard too!

I'd love to have the chance to drive a standard beetle some day though and try mechanical brakes out.

Mike :thumbup: