Mike Peckham
14 years ago

I'll have to check out the heater knob position arguement – chassis number is certainly for a very early 50s :shock:

Standard split wrote:

Check the pictures earlier in this thread. It is clearly a post Aug 55 chassis...

Mike 😎

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Standard split
14 years ago

Check the pictures earlier in this thread. It is clearly a post Aug 55 chassis...

Mike 😎

Mike Peckham wrote:

A replacement front half tunnel, perhaps :?

My head aches, and so does Rattletrap's 😶

But then you're forgetting, Rattletrap has a lot of later features – he's a pre-production prototype, so the heater knob is probably correct :wink:

RattleHeadAche.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Ovaltine
14 years ago

POT meet KETTLE:roll:

'50 Karmann wrote:

or 50 pot meet 63 kettle, or is it 53 pot meet 66 kettle :?
The parallels with these two 'record mileage' Beetles are amazing. Both have a three year discrepancy in age, and neither show clear cut history and number references.

Nothing black and white which these cars are, I beleive Mr Klein's car is white and our Rattletrap of course black.

Was Albert Klein Tony Levy's American cousin :lol:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Standard split
14 years ago

Seems to be another rattletrap rebuild but without Rattltraps status :?

Ovaltine wrote:

Can we please stop comparing every iffy or excessive rebuilt VW with Rattletrap 😶

His name is becoming a byword for describing a car that's suspect, to avoid or that isn't quite what is seems.

There are vintage Beetles around less original and more heavily rebuilt than Rattletrap 😳

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Ovaltine
14 years ago

Can we please stop comparing every iffy or excessive rebuilt VW with Rattletrap 😶

His name is becoming a byword for describing a car that's suspect, to avoid or that isn't quite what is seems.

There are vintage Beetles around less original and more heavily rebuilt than Rattletrap 😳

Standard split wrote:

No offence ment to rattletrap 😮

Going back to Albert Kleins 1963 or 1966 Beetle, at what point were all the Beetles windows made larger, I thought that a late 6volt car had bigger windows with thinner pillars so a 63 would be different :?:
64rotbox
14 years ago
The side windows got bigger for the '65 model year (August 1964).
You can call me Al.
Standard split
13 years ago

64rotbox wrote:

That's it then, Klein's car will be a small-window white '63, just like the other fictional Beetle in the USA – Herbie :twisted:

Standard split
13 years ago

64rotbox wrote:

Going through my own archives last night, I remember having a 1964 'B' registration 1200 some years ago. This car had the large window body shell :shock:

I had never seen another 'B' registration Beetle with the large window body, and this car probably pre-dates the August 1964 mentioned as the 'C' registration was introduced in August 1964.

Larger window production must have started before August 1964, Klein's mythical 1963 Beetle may well have had large windows, but of course may well have been from 1966 :roll:

My old large-window '64 (CGT 847 😎 is pictured here :wink:

Anyone know where it is now, other than Beetle heaven 😮  64 Big Windows.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Going through my own archives last night, I remember having a 1964 'B' registration 1200 some years ago. This car had the large window body shell :shock:

I had never seen another 'B' registration Beetle with the large window body, and this car probably pre-dates the August 1964 mentioned as the 'C' registration was introduced in August 1964.

Standard split wrote:

I think thats due to the fact that (IIRC!) UK reg numbers used to change with the calendar year until 67 (E is a short year), whereas model year (after `55ish?)changed in August as they always take advantage of the workers being on holiday to retool the lines for the new models. So your car was probably made between August and the new year.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
64rotbox
13 years ago
The 'C' plate ran from January 1965 to December 1965. Plates didn't run August to July until the 'F' suffix. Therefore there's a good six month period (August-December '64) where a '65 big window could be registered as a 'B'.

VW used to run model years from January to December, but changed to August/July in 1960ish...
You can call me Al.
Standard split
13 years ago
Not surprisingly, I can find little more information around about Albert Klein's supposedly 'mega mileage' car :evil:
It would be interesting to know the chassis number of it, or the window type :?

I've found the chassis number of my old large window 1964 Beetle, CGT 847 B, that is 115093101, and it checks out on the Samba as early September 1964 but I cannot find the copy of the V5 registration document which I kept for my archives, to confirm the UK registration date.

Even back when I owned it, I thought that it was an unusually early large window Beetle, and even wondered if the body had been changed. This must have been one of the earliest large windows in the UK – it would be good if someone still has the car, or if it still exists.

I'm guessing, but as I remember, it was registered here in April 1964, but if the Samba is right it couldn't have been :?

Ovaltine
13 years ago

Not surprisingly, I can find little more information around about Albert Klein's supposedly 'mega mileage' car :evil:
It would be interesting to know the chassis number of it, or the window type :?

I've found the chassis number of my old large window 1964 Beetle, CGT 847 B, that is 115093101, and it checks out on the Samba as early September 1964 but I cannot find the copy of the V5 registration document which I kept for my archives, to confirm the UK registration date.

Standard split wrote:

I think that you can find out date of registration from the DVLA online as you have the registration and chassis numbers I dont think you need a registration document number
This may tell you if the car still exists:wink:

Type in DVLA to the search I dont have the link
64rotbox
13 years ago
"Date of Liability 01 04 1989
Date of First Registration 05 11 1964
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1192CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour RED"

November '64, then. '65 model. Big windows correct.
You can call me Al.
Standard split
13 years ago
Thanks for the info 64rotbox. The DVLA still list it, so at least this Beetle still exists :beer:

I'm starting to think the Klein record mileage '63/'66? is non-existent, I haven't found a single picture of the mythical car – compare that with all the information and images around regarding Rattletrap :wink:

Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Thanks for the info 64rotbox. The DVLA still list it, so at least this Beetle still exists :beer:

I'm starting to think the Klein record mileage '63/'66? is non-existent, I haven't found a single picture of the mythical car – compare that with all the information and images around regarding Rattletrap :wink:

Standard split wrote:

Just to clarify, date of liability refers to the last time the car was road taxed, so it hasn’t been taxed since 1989. If the car was subsequently scrapped and the registration document was not returned to the DVLA, the date of liability will remain unchanged indefinitely, so whilst there is a possibility that the car still exists I would say that the balance of probability suggests that it doesn’t.

With regards to Albert Kleins ’63 beetle (there is no dispute about it being a ’63 despite some of the non–motoring press misrepresenting it as a ’66) Mr Klein was reported as being a very quiet, unassuming man who courted no publicity. The only reason his car made it into the press at all was because the supplying dealer brought it to the attention of VWoA when it was due to pass the 1,000,000 mile mark, VWoA arranged a publicity event that saw it driving onto the supplying dealer’s forecourt as it clicked over on to 1,000,000 miles. VW then presented Mr Klein with a VW Fox.

Tony Levis was initially sceptical too, but he met Mr Klein in the 80s when VW Motoring Magazine arranged for him to supply his white ’58 to a TV company as a stand in for Mr Klein’s ’63 for the making of a Chanel 4 TV programme which included the Million Mile Volkswagen.

Having met the unassuming Mr Klein Tony never again disputed the mileage but maintained that Rattletraps lesser mileage was attained more usefully, as Mr Klein’s ’63 had clocked up many of its miles circling the ring road around the town where he lived.

I hope that helps clear up the confusion, it was well documented at the time but Mr Klein wasn’t interested in stardom, just driving his car.

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Standard split
13 years ago

Just to clarify, date of liability refers to the last time the car was road taxed, so it hasn’t been taxed since 1989. If the car was subsequently scrapped and the registration document was not returned to the DVLA, the date of liability will remain unchanged indefinitely, so whilst there is a possibility that the car still exists I would say that the balance of probability suggests that it doesn’t.

Mike Peckham wrote:

There must be a point with a seemingly non-existent car when the DVLA withdraws the registration, deleting the car from its records. Valuable registrations are then placed for sale by the DVLA, otherwise where do they get them from :?:

I'd like to think that CGT 847 B is still around, this was such an early large window, I doubt that anyone has an earlier RHD one :?

I suppose it's not possible to find out if it exists and as you say, it probably doesn't unless someone here knows otherwise :?:

64rotbox
13 years ago
As long as a car ended up on the computer when the V5 was introduced to replace the old log books, it should still be there unless it's been registered as scrapped. The car sitting in my garage at the moment (registered to me about 4 years ago) comes up as:

Date of Liability 01 03 1986
Date of First Registration 11 05 1964
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLUE

It's on a 3 number / 3 letter plate, so it's a good job they don't just 'delete' cars and flog the numbers off! They also still list loads of cars which were scrapped long ago, of course.... I believe most of the plates they auction off were from cars which never made it to the computer in the '80s.

BTW - as far as Albert Klein's Beetle goes, there is a photo/clipping somewhere of it outside the dealership, alongside the VW Fox which he apparently never took home. I'm sure it was printed in VW Motoring at some point. I've probably got it somewhere but it's a needle/haystack scenario.
You can call me Al.
Standard split
13 years ago

As long as a car ended up on the computer when the V5 was introduced to replace the old log books, it should still be there unless it's been registered as scrapped. The car sitting in my garage at the moment (registered to me about 4 years ago) comes up as:

Date of Liability 01 03 1986
Date of First Registration 11 05 1964
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Colour BLUE

It's on a 3 number / 3 letter plate, so it's a good job they don't just 'delete' cars and flog the numbers off! They also still list loads of cars which were scrapped long ago, of course.... I believe most of the plates they auction off were from cars which never made it to the computer in the '80s.

BTW - as far as Albert Klein's Beetle goes, there is a photo/clipping somewhere of it outside the dealership, alongside the VW Fox which he apparently never took home. I'm sure it was printed in VW Motoring at some point. I've probably got it somewhere but it's a needle/haystack scenario.

64rotbox wrote:

Interesting. Another little known point is that the DVLA can take back any registration number, and I beleive you can insure a valuable registration number against this possibility :?

The worst senario I suppose is finding a classic VW in a barn (like the oval on the '53-'57 thread), and then finding that someone is running around in a modern car with the registration number from it 😶

Several years ago, I rescued a Standard model split window from somewhere outside London called Wales. It had a smashing registration number. I applied for the registration documents, and 2 weeks later the V5 arrived through the post – I was well pleased. 6 months later the DVLA (who also live in this place called Wales), wrote to me and told me that I had to send the V5 back because someone now had that number on their modern Volvo. They also said that they were going to issue a 'Q' plate for my VW.:x 😶 I told them I wouldn't return the documents and they said that if I didn't comply they would put the matter in the hands of the police. They then sent an official to my house who demanded the V5, and I refused to hand it to him… it then rumbled on and became a little unpleasant :evil:

You've all been warned :shock:

Dig out that picture of Rattletrap's rival, Albert Klein's '63? or is it '66? VW, if you can please 64rotbox :!:

Mike Peckham
13 years ago
John

If you're interested, I probably still have the article Tony wrote about his encounter with Mr Klein and his '63 Beetle. It'll take a bit of digging but I could probably find it and post it on here for you...

Mike
Standard split
13 years ago

With regards to Albert Kleins ’63 beetle (there is no dispute about it being a ’63 despite some of the non–motoring press misrepresenting it as a ’66) Mr Klein was reported as being a very quiet, unassuming man who courted no publicity. The only reason his car made it into the press at all was because the supplying dealer brought it to the attention of VWoA when it was due to pass the 1,000,000 mile mark, VWoA arranged a publicity event that saw it driving onto the supplying dealer’s forecourt as it clicked over on to 1,000,000 miles. VW then presented Mr Klein with a VW Fox.

Mike Peckham wrote:

Thanks, Mike, but how do we know for sure that some of the non–motoring press misrepresented it as a ’66, and why did several different sources (as I posted earlier here on this thread) state it as a 1966 car :?:

For such an achievement, there are absolutely no pictures of the car around, the window size would be the give-away to the year, '63 or '66. One would assume that Mr Klein would be extremely old or has passed away by now, so where's this 'mega-mile record' car now :?:

Volkswagen were interested in Rattletrap for their museum, so why not this. I do have doubts about this car. Rattletrap was a publicised car back as early as the 1960's, which is credit to Tony Levy's claim, then hey presto, 20 years later a guy in the USA has a Beetle that goes the extra miles …:roll:

Tony Levy was a quiet, unassuming man too – it was when people badgered him with annoying questions about Rattletrap that he himself became 'rattled' :lol:

John

If you're interested, I probably still have the article Tony wrote about his encounter with Mr Klein and his '63 Beetle. It'll take a bit of digging but I could probably find it and post it on here for you...

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

That would be interesting to see, Mike – certainly hope you can dig it out :beer: