Mike Peckham
13 years ago
John

There was never any question that Albert Klein's beetle was a '63. Prior to the days of the internet it was always reported as such, it only takes one person on an internet forum to mis-quote such information and it becomes truth or as in this case - reason for speculation.

No speculation necessary, the car was always a '63 Albert Klein knew it was, the dealer that sold it knew it was, VWoA knew it was and even Tony Levy referred to it as a '63. Safer VW Motoring knew it was a '63 and it is listed in the Guiness Book of Records as a '63.

We shall never know whether or not Volkswagen had a place in their Museum for Mr Klein's Beetle as it was written off in 1997, there was a small note to that effect in VW Motoring at the time.

Sadly the car was gone before the days of the internet and Mr Klein wasn't interested in publicising it. He just wanted to drive it. It probably didn't stand still long enough to be photographed :wink: .

I'm not sure why Volkswagen withdrew their offer of having Rattle Trap in their Museum, their could be all sorts of reasons of course; the fact that it has at least one new chassis and (though the jury is still out) at least one new body. Of course the genuine uncertainty about it's true year of manufacture and the suspicion that it was a '53 that took on the identity of a previous, high mileage '50 probably didn't help.

I think Rattle Trap should be apprecited for what it is - a bit of an enigma - an uncertainty - an old car that embodies the soul and spirit of it's late, loveable and somewhat eccentric, long term owner.

It is great that you now have Rattle Trap, there can't be anyone more deserving of it and Tony would be overjoyed to see it belonging to someone who is doing all he can to perpetuate the story. But let's not use it as an opportunity to take credit away from an elderly American Man who spent his free time driving his '63 VW round and round the ring road purely for the love of driving his car...

Mike 😎

ps: I'll try and hunt out that clipping but it might take some time :shock:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sunroof53
13 years ago

John

It is great that you now have Rattle Trap, there can't be anyone more deserving of it and Tony would be overjoyed to see it belonging to someone who is doing all he can to perpetuate the story. But let's not use it as an opportunity to take credit away from an elderly American Man who spent his free time driving his '63 VW round and round the ring road purely for the love of driving his car...

Mike 😎

ps: I'll try and hunt out that clipping but it might take some time :shock:

Mike Peckham wrote:

Well said and an interesting point that there was no pretence about Albert's car.One thing is certain, although very different people with different designs to there high mileage, both Tony and Albert were devotees to there car.
Strange thing is that both cars shared the same fate.
:beer:

Standard split
13 years ago
Thanks Mike.

Well, I think it is very sad that from what you are saying Mr Klein's car no longer exists. Was it written off through an accident or just purely through age and decay?

As regards Rattletrap, who was also written off (through being flattened – almost to coffee table size – by a huge American truck), we know well from this marathon thread that the car was in some way saved. The on-going saga is just how. I continue to maintain that the car is not a body swap, (an oval with Rattletrap's window grafted in the back). More that an oval body was sacrificed, cut-up and used to save Rattletrap's body.

Having owned Rattletrap now for over a year I have had plenty of opportunity to check the car over. There are very many repairs to the body, the worst feature of the car is the hard to shut driver's door where there is still some frame straightening/alignment required – this is the original non-smashed side of the car and also shows the most sign of rust, being the original metal.

Pictures I have of the car going well back into the 1960's show Rattletrap always as a Zwitter type. The claim going around that the car has been chassis replaced is without proof.[-x

Rattletrap still has his original chassis as far as I can see, or what's left of it (mainly the backbone/tunnel).

I know that the only way to satisfy the sceptics is for them to see Rattletrap. I am banking on Lavenham happening so I can take him along. I'll try to get some pictures that show the repairs and post them on this thread at some stage.

You are right about the internet though – without it Rattletrap may have been laid-up long forgotten somewhere being used as a chicken shed.:shock:

Well said and an interesting point that there was no pretence about Albert's car.One thing is certain, although very different people with different designs to there high mileage, both Tony and Albert were devotees to there car.
Strange thing is that both cars shared the same fate.
:beer:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Almost, but Rattletrap still survives – just.:beer:

Another smash could be his final curtain though. 😞

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
kdf38
13 years ago

Body number 115511 (below – yes I need a better camera) checks out as 1950. Chassis number, difficult to read it, but it looks like 1-0183703, and certainly NOT an Oval ('55) chassis as you mention :?

Standard split wrote:

Body Nr. 115511 could be any of these....

May 1950 50 Split
Dec 1955 56 Oval
Oct 1957 58 Square different where washer bottle attaches.

Mike

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
kdf38
13 years ago
115093101 is Sept 1964 which is a 1965 model VW.
^ third digit `5` means it is a 1965 Sequential Nr. 093101

Mike

I've found the chassis number of my old large window 1964 Beetle, CGT 847 B, that is 115093101, and it checks out on the Samba as early September 1964 but I cannot find the copy of the V5 registration document which I kept for my archives, to confirm the UK registration date.

Even back when I owned it, I thought that it was an unusually early large window Beetle, and even wondered if the body had been changed. This must have been one of the earliest large windows in the UK – it would be good if someone still has the car, or if it still exists.

I'm guessing, but as I remember, it was registered here in April 1964, but if the Samba is right it couldn't have been :?

Standard split wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
Sunroof53
13 years ago
In the features on page 11 Tony says that the floor was replaced.Must have been after 1973 as he qoutes the original 1953 chassis # ,although i suppose he could have read the # from the log book so could have been changed anytime.Photos on that page claerly show a later floor.:beer:
Ovaltine
13 years ago

"Date of Liability 01 04 1989
Date of First Registration 05 11 1964
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1192CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour RED"

November '64, then. '65 model. Big windows correct.

64rotbox wrote:

Year of manufacture not available :!:

So it may be an very early big window or even a preproduction prototype like rattletrap is calimed to be:lol:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Rattletrap still has his original chassis as far as I can see, or what's left of it (mainly the backbone/tunnel).

Standard split wrote:

John

The reason I believe that Rattletrap has a later chassis, is because Tony said as much him self in the September 1991 issue of VW Motoring;

After having taken Rattletrap to Wolfsburg for a thorough inspection, the original chassis was replaced at the Volkswagen (GB) Ltd premises at Plaistow, East London. At the request of the then Public Relations Director, Philip Stein, the then Overseas Sales Manager at Wolfsburg, Ian Mentiply, found and sent over a chassis from somewhere in Belgium I believe, that would be suitable. That chassis remained with the car until Baz did what ever he has done with it.

Tony's registration of Rattle trap in the Ancient Beetles Register predates this event, so the chassis number he quotes is probably that of the original, which appears to belong to an early '53 zwitter.

It is also apparent from the photographs that the car now has a much later chassis with the forward mounting of the heater control and handbrake cable adjustment on the handbrake leaver itself.

I'm afraid I can't tell you anymore about whether or not Mr Klein's beetle was written off due to age and decay or whether it was involved in an accident, as I haven't yet been able to find the mention in VW Motoring. Although I found the above quote whilst I was looking :wink: . My feeling is that it was written off in an accident but I can't be sure.

Hope that helps

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Standard split
13 years ago

Body Nr. 115511 could be any of these....

May 1950 50 Split
Dec 1955 56 Oval
Oct 1957 58 Square different where washer bottle attaches.

Mike

kdf38 wrote:

Thanks Mike.

Body is definantely a pre 55 (even if it was an oval once - doors and striker plates are the early pre August 55 type).:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Standard split
13 years ago

John

The reason I believe that Rattletrap has a later chassis, is because Tony said as much him self in the September 1991 issue of VW Motoring;

After having taken Rattletrap to Wolfsburg for a thorough inspection, the original chassis was replaced at the Volkswagen (GB) Ltd premises at Plaistow, East London. At the request of the then Public Relations Director, Philip Stein, the then Overseas Sales Manager at Wolfsburg, Ian Mentiply, found and sent over a chassis from somewhere in Belgium I believe, that would be suitable. That chassis remained with the car until Baz did what ever he has done with it.

Tony's registration of Rattle trap in the Ancient Beetles Register predates this event, so the chassis number he quotes is probably that of the original, which appears to belong to an early '53 zwitter.

It is also apparent from the photographs that the car now has a much later chassis with the forward mounting of the heater control and handbrake cable adjustment on the handbrake leaver itself.

I'm afraid I can't tell you anymore about whether or not Mr Klein's beetle was written off due to age and decay or whether it was involved in an accident, as I haven't yet been able to find the mention in VW Motoring. Although I found the above quote whilst I was looking :wink: . My feeling is that it was written off in an accident but I can't be sure.

Hope that helps

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

It gets more complicated. I can't understand why they (VW) would have wanted to change the chassis. Surely they would have fitted new pans :?

Ovaltine
13 years ago

John

We shall never know whether or not Volkswagen had a place in their Museum for Mr Klein's Beetle as it was written off in 1997, there was a small note to that effect in VW Motoring at the time.

Sadly the car was gone before the days of the internet and Mr Klein wasn't interested in publicising it.
Mike 😎

Mike Peckham wrote:

If this car no longer exists then that must leave Rattletrap as the world champion Beetle :shock:
Sunroof53
13 years ago

It gets more complicated. I can't understand why they (VW) would have wanted to change the chassis. Surely they would have fitted new pans :?

Standard split wrote:

Not if the framehead was rusty or damaged in some way.
I can understand you wanting RT to be more original than it is but even Tony in his last few articles suggested it should be Rattletrap Mk iv or v even after the last smash and didnt seem bothered either as long as it was black and has his registration.

Mike
Standard split
13 years ago

Mike Peckham wrote:

For those who said that Rattletrap did not go to the VW Museum because Volkswagen doubted the car's credibility, the above shows that this is not the case 😳

They would not have gone to all that trouble and expense providing a new chassis to extend Rattletrap's life if they didn't consider the car of historical importance.

My guess is that Rattletrap's place in the Wolfsburg VW Museum awaits him. Even more so now his challenger Albert Klein's '63 is in Beetle heaven.

If this car no longer exists then that must leave Rattletrap as the world champion Beetle :shock:

Ovaltine wrote:

YEP :!: :!: :!: :!:

But he always was as far as I'm concerned 😎

55Kab
13 years ago

Standard split wrote:

I guess the answer to all OUR questions on Rattletrap is realy how much it bothers you to recognise the reality John?

After all, as you have the car (person:? ) himself you are best placed to show us by way of photos what is what. I mean cut/weld lines under the bonnet area/behind the dash etc, ID of the chassis number now and any old paperwork. If you don't mind knowing and it would end a mystery for me, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated if we delved just a little bit deeper into what happened since new and when he was rebuilt at Hazelocks.

Anyone know what happened to Baz Hazelock as I assume he can obviously tell us...

GKL 7
13 years ago

If you don't mind knowing and it would end a mystery for me, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated if we delved just a little bit deeper into what happened since new and when he was rebuilt at Hazelocks.

55Kab wrote:

Won't happen
 you-cant-handle-the-truth-full;init_.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

UserPostedImage
Ovaltine
13 years ago
I have found a pretty good news cutting from Albert Klein's local press.

No threat to rattletrap as it wasapparently was written off as said earlier. This is from July 1987. Cant tell if this is a 63 or 66, (small or big window), the pics poor copy and doesnot show much glass area:?

Too big to upload though, will try later :?

Standard split
13 years ago

I have found a pretty good news cutting from Albert Klein's local press.

No threat to rattletrap as it wasapparently was written off as said earlier. This is from July 1987. Cant tell if this is a 63 or 66, (small or big window), the pics poor copy and doesnot show much glass area:?

Too big to upload though, will try later :?

Ovaltine wrote:

So where is this ground-breaking information, we've all been waiting here since yesterday :evil:

Flak will follow otherwise, empty promises are not allowed 😳

Mike Peckham
13 years ago
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19870715&id=ymcaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oioEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3406,5585381  ( the article is about half way down the right hand side of the left hand page) seems to tell the story quite well up to the 1,000,000 mile mark.

I still haven't found the note of it's demise in 97. Maybe it's still going...:shock:

Mike
bruce
13 years ago

Cant tell if this is a 63 or 66, (small or big window), the pics poor copy and doesnot show much glass area:?

Ovaltine wrote:

Quit trying to figure out the year. There is no question about it, the car is a 63.