RubaDubDub
13 years ago
Hi. First post here. I wondered if any of you knowledgable types could help a guy out.

Ive had a Sea Blue 65 Beetle for about a year now. It came with a wad of docs and even its original sales receipt! Its currently down the garage being tinkered with for its MOT (I'll post some pics to help this post when i get it back). Ive run it as a bit of a rat but now thought Id see if I could find out exactly what should and what shouldnt be on the car. Im a bit cautious as I know some of it gets a bit year specific.

So, bear with me...Ive had 7 old beetles, A couple of Karmann's, cabbies and a GP Beach Buggie...but Im still rubbish at the technical stuff. I just like to drive em! So are there any good links or resources to find out what Ive got and what should be on it? And to find out if anything is 'one year only'?

Its chassis number is 115391288. The reg doc's show It was first registered in the UK in May 65. Other stuff I can tell you about it is its got the solid unvented wheels, fold flat rear seat, and (tries to remember whats under the seat covers) two texture vinyl seats. It all 'looks' original on the car down to the steering wheel (which has no horn semi circular thingy) It has a push button rear lid, foot operated full beam, separate ignition key, and only has a lock on the drivers handle lol.

Im particualy interested in finding out about the seats, as I think Im going to treat the old girl to getting them recovered. And It'd be nice to get them done correctly for the year. And also what hubcaps came on this originally?

I appreciate it that this post needs some pics of the car so you know what Im babbling on about, but Im hoping some of you have an idea even from my dodgy non tech explanations. But until I get the car back to do that, Id really appreciate it if anyone has any info on the year or can point me to a resource that has.

ooh also...can anyone tell me how I can stop the tickover speeding up when I put the clutch down. :)

Thanks all....from rainy Stoke On Trent.

Mike
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure we all look forward to seeing pics of your car.

With regards to the engine revving when the clutch is depressed, it will be worth getting hold of a Haynes Manual (or similar) and learning how to set the carb up.
It might be worth first checking if your throttle cable is too tight (ie: throttle flap still open at adle, with choke fully off).
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
13 years ago
I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will be happy to tell you what is correct and what is not:wink:

Post up the pics!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Look forward to seeing the pics. A book that is well worth getting is VW Beetle Specification Guide, 1949-1967, by James Richardson. Some great info in there.
54 Gertie
13 years ago
The car was made in December '64, so it is indeed a '65 year model.

Post up some photos, and we should be able to point out what's amiss.
William
RubaDubDub
13 years ago
Thanks for all the advice and the book recommendation! Ill have a nosey!

Ill certainly post the pics but unfortunately I dont get it back until sat - hopefully just in time for VWNW! But as soon as I get it back Ill whack up some pics.

Regarding setting the carb & the car revving when the clutch is pressed. Ive asked the guy at the garage to have a tweak around the carb etc to get it ready for the drive to Tatton Park. Ive mentioned that the car revs when the clutch is pressed, so Ill tell him to have a look at what you mention.

Thanks again.

Ps....does anyone know which hubcaps came on the 65?
pre67vw
13 years ago
On your car it should have the domed hubcaps (logo unpainted), changed to the later flat style in Aug '65
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Thanks for all the advice and the book recommendation! Ill have a nosey!

Ill certainly post the pics but unfortunately I dont get it back until sat - hopefully just in time for VWNW! But as soon as I get it back Ill whack up some pics.

Regarding setting the carb & the car revving when the clutch is pressed. Ive asked the guy at the garage to have a tweak around the carb etc to get it ready for the drive to Tatton Park. Ive mentioned that the car revs when the clutch is pressed, so Ill tell him to have a look at what you mention.

Thanks again.

Ps....does anyone know which hubcaps came on the 65?

RubaDubDub wrote:

Normal domed hubcaps, with the VW logos not painted. hen the '66 model began and they introduced the slotted wheels, the hubcaps changed to a 'flatter' design.

EDIT: Doh'. Beaten to it. :lol:
William
RubaDubDub
13 years ago
Bugger...looks like I need some new hubcaps then. lol

I hope Im not being stupid! but when you say 'unpainted'..is that chrome?

Thanks again!
pre67vw
13 years ago
The hubcaps are chrome yes, on earlier cars the VW in the middle is painted. For '65, the VW is just left chrome.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
RubaDubDub
13 years ago

The hubcaps are chrome yes, on earlier cars the VW in the middle is painted. For '65, the VW is just left chrome.

pre67vw wrote:

Cheers!
RoRoVw
13 years ago
If you're taking the car to Tatton Park next Sunday then stop off at The Historic Volkswagen Club display plot and I'm sure that the members there will be able to answer a few of your questions.
RubaDubDub
13 years ago

If you're taking the car to Tatton Park next Sunday then stop off at The Historic Volkswagen Club display plot and I'm sure that the members there will be able to answer a few of your questions.

RoRoVw wrote:

Hi,

If she makes it..Ill be sure to pass by :)

Thanks.

Benjamin
13 years ago
Out of interest what year did VW stop painting the logo on hubcaps?