JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

The snobbery of this site really takes the biscuit.

fpr936e wrote:

Eh? 😞

Who is this aimed at?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
fpr936e
13 years ago
JD
  • JD
13 years ago

not at you.

fpr936e wrote:

Well thanks for that, but please don´t tar us all with the same brush. I don´t know why this placed gets labelled as snobby (aside from the horribly, disgustingly, elitist arbitrary cut-off date of 67 and earlier :wink: ), but it´s getting on my nerves a bit. I can think of several VW sites that are a lot more up themselves than this one.
UserPostedImage
fpr936e
13 years ago
I like standard vws, but then I like well engineered projects and I respect part substitution when the aim is to drive the car on modern roads.
JD
  • JD
13 years ago

I like standard vws, but then I like well engineered projects and I respect part substitution when the aim is to drive the car on modern roads.

fpr936e wrote:

So do I. So do most folks on here, but this isn´t always the place to talk about a lot of that sort of stuff, as its more of a restoration based forum. Doesn´t mean we don´t like it though.:d
UserPostedImage
fpr936e
13 years ago
54 Gertie
13 years ago

So do I. So do most folks on here, but this isn´t always the place to talk about a lot of that sort of stuff, as its more of a restoration based forum. Doesn´t mean we don´t like it though.:d

JD wrote:

Exactly, on here I ask about the correct distance between spot welds, and on VZi I talk about jet propelled amphi-bugs. :wink:
William
64rotbox
13 years ago

not at you.

fpr936e wrote:

Who, then? You'll have to help us out a bit, here. Or are you confusing 'personal taste' with 'snobbery'?
You can call me Al.
JD
  • JD
13 years ago

Exactly, on here I ask about the correct distance between spot welds, and on VZi I talk about jet propelled amphi-bugs. :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

With me! (Horrido):beer: :lol: :lol:
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
13 years ago

fpr936e wrote:

Me to and I own the place :wink: , but like others have said - this is the place more for the stock side of things - not because we're elitist but because otherwise what would be the point of just another VW forum?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
fpr936e
13 years ago
very simple, I like the look of Ivans car an want to know more about it, not how large his wallet must have been or not.

Plus rattletrap, I want to know more about how the story is unfolding in terms of its repair, Tony used to live down my road when I was a child.

Thats all, just interested in things like this and not really interested in people who rubbish other peoples cars
pre67vw
13 years ago

very simple, I like the look of Ivans car an want to know more about it, not how large his wallet must have been or not.

fpr936e wrote:

Agree 100%.

not really interested in people who rubbish other peoples cars

fpr936e wrote:

Me neither.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago

With me! (Horrido):beer: :lol: :lol:

JD wrote:

:wink:
William
Ovaltine
13 years ago

The snobbery of this site really takes the biscuit.

fpr936e wrote:

This underlines to some extent my post on page 1 of this thread, but nonetheless half the guys here 'jumped on me':?

Me to and I own the place :wink: , but like others have said - this is the place more for the stock side of things - not because we're elitist but because otherwise what would be the point of just another VW forum?

pre67vw wrote:

And a credit it is to you too. But a little impartiality please, it is a public site, and we don't all see things the same way.:wink:

Plus rattletrap, I want to know more about how the story is unfolding in terms of its repair, Tony used to live down my road when I was a child.

Thats all, just interested in things like this and not really interested in people who rubbish other peoples cars

fpr936e wrote:

x2
Ah yes Rattletrap, the very thread that drew me to pre67vw. There are really great resto and rebuild threads happening on the forums,(nothing under pre53?)but if it all goes that way it gets heavy reading. A little light-hearted stuff is needed too - Rattletrap is just the tonic. Can the lock be removed, its now been 3 months, I bet there's heaps more stuff out there waiting to be added by people. I've found a good pic but can't post it:(

The pre 53 section is looking a little like someone's personal classifieds:o
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
pre67vw
13 years ago

This underlines to some extent my post on page 1 of this thread, but nonetheless half the guys here 'jumped on me':?

Ovaltine wrote:

I'm not sure if what you 'think' and what you 'write' are two completely different things, but that's certainly not what comes accross to me from your post on page 1...

And a credit it is to you too.

Ovaltine wrote:

Thanks 😎

But a little impartiality please, it is a public site, and we don't all see things the same way.:wink:

Ovaltine wrote:

I am impartial, there are many people who have expressed opinions that I don't agree with. But don't mistake this as some kind of free for all, it may be a public site but that's no excuse for personal insults or other derogatory remarks and I will/do delete posts that I find offensive or disrespectful (or that get flagged to me as such).

Can the lock be removed, its now been 3 months

Ovaltine wrote:

Nope. I don't think that there's anything new that could be added to that thread, just adding more photos of the car isn't enough.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago
:? On the whole of the first page of the pre '53 discussion forum,only two threads have been started by the same poster,i can't see how any individual could be accused of using it as a "personal classifieds page":?
Ovaltine
13 years ago

I'm not sure if what you 'think' and what you 'write' are two completely different things, but that's certainly not what comes accross to me from your post on page 1...

I am impartial, there are many people who have expressed opinions that I don't agree with. But don't mistake this as some kind of free for all, it may be a public site but that's no excuse for personal insults or other derogatory remarks and I will/do delete posts that I find offensive or disrespectful (or that get flagged to me as such).

pre67vw wrote:

1) Snobbery is certainly hinted at as a point in my first post regarding Ivan's car. The way some people here crawled around on their knees because of his Volksworld connection is awful and really off-putting. This thread is an embarrassment from the off. Suggestions even made that this site should move into mildly customised VWs because Volksworld has bits on stock vintage VWs:x

2) I was banned for voicing an opinion, and although the post contained no bad language or threats it was deleted[-x
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
GKL 7
13 years ago

1) The way some people here crawled around on their knees because of his Volksworld connection is awful and really off-putting.

Ovaltine wrote:

Have you ever stopped to think that those "people" know Ivan well enough to see his love for all things VW,Volksworld doesn't come into the matter.
Not many that know him would stand back and see him take undue criticism.His love of the hobby is very broad,is that a crime?
pre67vw
13 years ago

1) Snobbery is certainly hinted at as a point in my first post regarding Ivan's car. The way some people here crawled around on their knees because of his Volksworld connection is awful and really off-putting. This thread is an embarrassment from the off. Suggestions even made that this site should move into mildly customised VWs because Volksworld has bits on stock vintage VWs:x

2) I was banned for voicing an opinion, and although the post contained no bad language or threats it was deleted[-x

Ovaltine wrote:

I'll try to put this as politely as possible. I think you need to look back at all of your posts, not just on this thread but others as well and see what your contribution to the forum has been. Take a look at how much practical advice you've given and how many people have appreciated your comments, then take a look at how many comments have been negative or intending to stir up an argument, or are just plain rude, then hopefully you might understand why you were banned and why you're headed that way again. I would generally rather see posts about modified cars than any of your posts.

I suggest that you post up a few photos of your car, so we can see what a perfect car should be. And in future, remember this little tip - if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lou cypher
13 years ago

I'll try to put this as politely as possible. I think you need to look back at all of your posts, not just on this thread but others as well and see what your contribution to the forum has been. Take a look at how much practical advice you've given and how many people have appreciated your comments, then take a look at how many comments have been negative or intending to stir up an argument, or are just plain rude, then hopefully you might understand why you were banned and why you're headed that way again. I would generally rather see posts about modified cars than any of your posts.

I suggest that you post up a few photos of your car, so we can see what a perfect car should be. And in future, remember this little tip - if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all

pre67vw wrote:

Well said Rob :lol:

I've been following this thread for a while now and been amazed at the total B****hit that has been posted by one induvidaul about Ivan's car :roll:

First of all I have nothing to gain by so called "brown nosing" Ivan, I have known him for over 15 years and I can tell you he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has worked very hard for what he has. It is also true that he has wanted to buy this car for many years. Is that a crime wanting a Split Kab then?
Whether he paid cash for his Kab or got a bank loan, is that really anyones business except his.

That really is a nice car he has, I knew the car from way back when, when Shaun first did the resto job, back then it was much more difficult to find the parts as there wasn't all the companies producing top repro parts......

I guess from all your derogatory remarks that you too would like a split, but due to the current market prices of these cars has put them out of most peoples price range within the hobby, you included.....or maybe you have a "special one" all us Split boys don't know of :roll:

Like in your signature "The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!" well I would personally like to see a picture of your "special" split you drive before your Ovaltine. Hell I'll even get Herr Dokotor to send you an invite to the Cannonball Challenge so you can put your money were your keyboard is :shock:

But then again I guess your just happy to stay behind your keyboard mouthing off.......