54 Gertie
13 years ago

Have a look at a 'rat look' display at a VW show. Then imagine every car on the road in the same state.

64rotbox wrote:

To be fair, some 'shat-look' cars are better mechanically than some show winners, but it's usually not the case.
William
64rotbox
13 years ago

To be fair, some 'shat-look' cars are better mechanically than some show winners, but it's usually not the case.

54 Gertie wrote:

Heather Mills (remember her?) would have enough digits to count them on. In fact she could probably lose the other leg and it wouldn't affect the situation.
You can call me Al.
Si Med
13 years ago
My shat look car has flown through the last 2 mots, has covered 12k miles in the last 10 months and broken down 0 times.
with original 30hp, 6v and split case box. Its original 30 mm brakes are brilliant :D
Dont judge a book by its cover

54 UK rhd
mrsherbie
13 years ago

'Health and Safety' has made stations aware that it is their responsibilty to keep members of the pulic in a 'safe' area - that's what I was strictly told:roll:

Rattletrap wrote:

Yes true. You get to watch from behind the glass some muppet breaking expensive bits on your car UserPostedImage 
In the past I have also kept my old beetle off the road for a few years just because I was unhappy after a bad mot experience (heavy handed incorrect use of dash switches, & wipers left running on dry windscreen while he walked away etc grrrr! UserPostedImage ) so I know exactly what you mean.
I know a couple of people who test old cars with kid gloves now, but central London is way out of my area, but for peace of mind maybe worth paying someone who you trust who is in the motor trade who will also certainly have a good mot garage like Luke T at Terrys Beetles? to take it along to get it mot'd (with you in car or driving there)?
Whilst MOT tester's will certainly not let the public in the workshop while testing, they will usually let someone else 'in the trade' that they know, test the car with them.
Thats what I would do I think (even though it would cost some labour time.)

Luckily now I dont have to go as O takes mine, as I hate watching it on the 'rollers' too 😶 In fact that one really bad mot experience has probably emotionally scarred me for life :shock: :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
13 years ago

54 Gertie wrote:

Heather Mills (remember her?) would have enough digits to count them on. In fact she could probably lose the other leg and it wouldn't affect the situation.

64rotbox wrote:

Thats SO harsh but very funny :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Yes true. You get to watch from behind the glass some muppet breaking expensive bits on your car UserPostedImage 
In the past I have also kept my old beetle off the road for a few years just because I was unhappy after a bad mot experience (heavy handed incorrect use of dash switches, & wipers left running on dry windscreen while he walked away etc grrrr!

mrsherbie wrote:

My exact feelings and why I started this thread. I had enough getting my '58 through recently, the tester didn't even know about semaphores – he expected them to flash like modern indicators when they stuck out.:evil:

Looks like Rattletrap and Co will be staying locked-away.:(

Heather Mills (remember her?) ........

64rotbox wrote:

I'd prefer not to 😶

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
cupa65
13 years ago
I had the old headlamp glass situation ie "your car has failed as the headlamp pattern is wrong!"
I explained that they were the correct lights ie RHD lenses. He retested the car but when I got the car home, noticed the headlamps were not sitting in the bowls correctly. They had slackened the screws and almost bent one side out:cry:

Any way I know for next time!
69project
13 years ago
been reading this thread and found in my experience that its best to take "her indoors" car there first to see what the people are like...

i have two old school garages near me that have interests in vintage vehicles themselves(mainly guys in there late 50s) and i always get to sit in the car when tested and they tend to understand what tolerances are correct and enjoy a good chat over a mug of tea

id never take anything to kwik fit...animals!
Car less.....
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Mot's are only a nightmare if your car is a shitbox ,i can understand being concerened about uneducated testers forgetting the bonnet prop but most testers will let you observe or even help with the brake test etc .I had to change Mot testers a while back and all it takes is to ask them a few questions like "are you sympathetic to older cars ,ask if they will pass a car with no washers or seat belts .If he seems a bit off ,go somewhere else and save yourself the grief .
If your cars fails the Mot its because its not safe so why would you want to drive it?

Mike

Ps ,Best call of 2011 from 50 Karmann
Rattletrap
13 years ago
I now certainly disconnect the bonnet prop, and leave a suitable length of wood, so they cannot miss the problem.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
54 Gertie
13 years ago

I now certainly disconnect the bonnet prop, and leave a suitable length of wood, so they cannot miss the problem.

Rattletrap wrote:

Good plan, I guess. Get the things MOT'd then. 😎
William
harveypj
13 years ago
As others have said, there are tsters out their that do take care and let you guide them in the operation of you vintage VW controls and latches.. I am lucky in that I have one not more than 2 miles from my home. Its normaly me sitting in the car during the test or joining in having a closer look while its up in the air on the ramps.

I can only suggest asking around until you find a garage that are happy to accomadate.

Stock......the new custom
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
My local MOT guy is fantastic. The garage is less than a mile from where I live. He's proper 'old school' and has run the garage forever and a day. He knows I do all the work on my cars so quizzes me about stuff and is completely respectful of older vehicles (whilst taking the proverbial on most occasions regarding the engine being at the wrong end etc etc, all par for the course). If anybody in Sussex is struggling to find a good MOT station, I strongly recommend this one.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
13 years ago
My local garage asked me to drive the Karmann over the pit,when he saw how clean it was, he said "Thats a pass then".Took some pictures of underneath and gave me a certificate.
5 mins max, Now that's a sympathetic garage:lol:
55Kab
13 years ago

My local garage asked me to drive the Karmann over the pit,when he saw how clean it was, he said "Thats a pass then"

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hope I get the same thing...that is assuming I can get it over the pit :!: :lol:

Rattletrap
13 years ago
MOT feature listing garages considerate with MOTs for classics in this week's Classic Car Weekly.:mellow:

Rattletrap
13 years ago
Interesting to read in both 'Classic Car Weekly' and 'Classic Car Buyer' last week, that somewhere within the Government consideration is being given to scrapping the MOT test for pre 1965 cars. It was at first being mused over for pre 1945.:beer:

The former is great for all of us who own 'small' windowed Beetles and earlier and also other period associated VWs and non-VWs. The later is fine if you own a KdF Beetle or some other pre 1945 vehicle. Both my Tatras would benefit from that one but none of my splits.

I hope that this comes to be, I know I'd be more likely to consider having one of my more valuable cars taxed and road legal if I do not have to have some guy at an MOT station banging and fiddling around with it. Even my '49 split or '37 Tatra may get an airing on a Sunday afternoon.:shock:

pre67vw
13 years ago

Interesting to read in both 'Classic Car Weekly' and 'Classic Car Buyer' last week, that somewhere within the Government consideration is being given to scrapping the MOT test for pre 1965 cars. It was at first being mused over for pre 1945.:beer:

The former is great for all of us who own 'small' windowed Beetles and earlier and also other period associated VWs and non-VWs. The later is fine if you own a KdF Beetle or some other pre 1945 vehicle. Both my Tatras would benefit from that one but none of my splits.

I hope that this comes to be, I know I'd be more likely to consider having one of my more valuable cars taxed and road legal if I do not have to have some guy at an MOT station banging and fiddling around with it. Even my '49 split or '37 Tatra may get an airing on a Sunday afternoon.:shock:

Rattletrap wrote:

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure it's a good idea to be honest, I like the idea of all cars having to be up to a certain standard in order to be on the road.

I do think however, that there should be a separate MOT for older cars, one that is more applicable to classics and maybe only available at certain stations so that the testers can be properly trained. It should be much cheaper to, because there's less to test...

Basically they just need to test that it's structurally safe and that the brakes work.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
beefykeefy
13 years ago

I take mine to Falcon Autotech in Watford.

They are respectful of old cars, and have allowed me to stand under and around the car in the MOT bay whilst they test it.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Yeah, I saw that. Not sure it's a good idea to be honest, I like the idea of all cars having to be up to a certain standard in order to be on the road.

pre67vw wrote:

It does seem a possibility that the pre 1945 exemption may happen. There are rather a lot of pre '65s around, some even in general use (especially Beetles), and it is felt that some owners will abuse the exemption by running unroadworthy cars. Pre 1945 vehicles are far in the minority and are more likely treasured collector pieces it is thought. I think that pre 1950 is a more sensible target myself.

I do think however, that there should be a separate MOT for older cars, one that is more applicable to classics and maybe only available at certain stations so that the testers can be properly trained. It should be much cheaper to, because there's less to test...

pre67vw wrote:

A good idea I'd say for ALL tax exempt (pre'73) cars.:beer: