Mike Peckham
13 years ago

I take mine to Falcon Autotech in Watford.

They are respectful of old cars, and have allowed me to stand under and around the car in the MOT bay whilst they test it.

beefykeefy wrote:

I take my two beetles to Jupps Motors in Worthing, it's a proper old fashioned garage where the mechanics all wear white overalls, glasses and beards.

They understand old cars, and like yours, they let me have a good old poke around underneath when the car is up on the ramp.

There must be garages like that in every town, just a case of finding them.

Mike :thumbup:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

The mechanics all wear white overalls, glasses and beards.

Mike Peckham wrote:

A bit like the guys that came around to my house earlier………:shock:

At least you noticed, the first step to rehabilitation is admitting you have a problem...
:roll:

pre67vw wrote:

There must be garages like that in every town, just a case of finding them.

Mike Peckham wrote:

London's a BIG town…:?

Why on earth is Rattletrap finding his way into so many members' signatures around here. :?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Why on earth is Rattletrap finding his way into so many members' signatures around here. :?

Rattletrap wrote:

There’s no mention of Rattletrap the car in my signature John, just your avatar name of Rattletrap. I like that quote from you because it’s full of wisdom. You’re quite right, no one should make any claims about their car’s origins that can’t be backed by hard evidence from Volkswagen themselves.

Wise words indeed. :wink:

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

…You’re quite right, no one should make any claims about their car’s origins that can’t be backed by hard evidence from Volkswagen themselves.

Wise words indeed. :wink:

Mike Peckham wrote:

Thanks Mike. Its nice to think that once in a while I get something right. :smile:

Good advice is what the forums should be about. The quote you use is from my comments on the Standard model thread in which the owner had a mid 60s base model that he thought was a Standard but wisely after listening to Rattletrap conceded it wasn't.:beer:

I wrongly thought that you was having a pop at old Rattletrap, as some here like to do.:mellow:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
pre67vw
13 years ago
I think irony is lost on RT...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
64rotbox
13 years ago
UserPostedImage

etc.
You can call me Al.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

'50 Karmann wrote:

UserPostedImage

etc.

64rotbox wrote:

UserPostedImage
The owner of the base model used an independently produced dealers list to show his car was a Standard when it wasn't.

Only that from VW themselves is hard evidence. :wink:

GKL 7
13 years ago

Only that from VW themselves is hard evidence. :wink:

Rattletrap wrote:

So like i said on numerous occassions.....send 'em the numbers,let's see the answers.
64rotbox
13 years ago
'tamtampamela' was easier to tolerate...
You can call me Al.
65std
13 years ago

How many here dread the MOT test on their ancient Beetle. I used to have a local MOT station in my part of London that let me take part in the test, sitting in the car, operating signals, lights, steering etc.

One garage used to road test the cable brakes, not using the rolling road (although I worried about the crash box being driven without experience). Now stations want to test them on the rolling road.

Those around me now don't allow me near the car or to even point out things to the tester. I have to sit away from the area and watch while semaphores, bonnet support and such like are exposed to risk of damage due to unawareness. I MOT'd my '58 recently, and was uncomfortable the attitude they had to the car. This means that my splits and Tatras will continue not seeing use, even Rattletrap will stay away. 😞

Rattletrap wrote:

Please tell me about this test. Are all the counties involved in testing? If I lived in someplace out of the way like Reeth or Askrigg would I have to drive very far to get a test? Or would I have to test? I've got five antique and two daily drivers, this kind of stuff would cost me a lot of money and time I would expect. Seems if a Antique vehicle has lasted as long as it has, then that means it's well looked after. Are you saying the government dosen't trust people to maintain their vehicles properly on their own? What about the guy that works on his own cars, he has to pay someone to check his work??

Don
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please tell me about this test. Are all the counties involved in testing? If I lived in someplace out of the way like Reeth or Askrigg would I have to drive very far to get a test? Or would I have to test? I've got five antique and two daily drivers, this kind of stuff would cost me a lot of money and time I would expect. Seems if a Antique vehicle has lasted as long as it has, then that means it's well looked after. Are you saying the government dosen't trust people to maintain their vehicles properly on their own? What about the guy that works on his own cars, he has to pay someone to check his work??

Don

65std wrote:

Yep, that's pretty much all correct. There are MOT testing stations pretty much everywhere though so you don't need to go far to find one. All cars over three years old, in all counties, have to be tested annually. I think there might be an exception for veteran cars, but I'm not sure of the details.

In the days before the MOT test there were some pretty dodgy cars on the road, statistically, these cars were often not insured amd more ikely to be involved in accidents, so the danger of having them on the road was compounded.

In order to have a road fund licence disc, your car must be insured and have a current MOT certificate. This is a safeguarding mechanism, established in the 60s (I think), and has significantly improved road safety and reduced deaths caused by unsafe and often uninsured cars.

I'm in favour of keeping the test, though as Rob suggests, I think a test specifically for older vehicles might be the way forward, particularly if this is carried out by specially acredited garages.

I know my cars are ok - it's the other bugger you need to look out for!

Mike