merchantrader
12 years ago

Yes I understand what you're saying but that is just one shot of the Streamliner. I have a few more of it surrounded by admiring onlookers and preparation of the run which is the reality of the event. However it's good sometimes to mix reality with fantasy especially when restrictions are placed on you as a photographer.

Is it cheating or is it using the tools that are available to you.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

No I do not think it to be cheating as long it is not made out to be a true record of what was occurring as opposed to an artistic impression of what was happening. I guess the types of criteria for judging is very similar to those experts on this forum would use to judge a VW as genuine stock or not and if not the scale of deviation from stock.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

No I do not think it to be cheating as long it is not made out to be a true record of what was occurring as opposed to an artistic impression of what was happening.

merchantrader wrote:

Yes but is up to the photographer to announce when displaying a picture to which he's made aesthetic alterations just what the alterations are...I think not. Photographers have manipulated the image since the beginning of photography.

I have to say I'm talking about pictorial photography here and not documentary. Very few of us here engage in true documentary photography.

John.
Si Med
12 years ago

I guess the types of criteria for judging is very similar to those experts on this forum

merchantrader wrote:

Who exactly is judging?
Personally I think your looking into this far to deeply. Im afraid all of my images are shopped in some fashion.
For example....
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Sorry if this looses all credibility 😛
54 UK rhd
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
but it does raise the question of how much to photoshop - I've seen people who refuse to do anything other than basic colour correction, others aren't worried about that at all and will create whole new works of art in photoshop.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

Im afraid all of my images are shopped in some fashion.

Si Med wrote:

But you left the HSBC sign in? :rofl:

Really good to see the before and after though :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

Who exactly is judging?
Personally I think your looking into this far to deeply.

Si Med wrote:

I was a longtime member of a Camera Club and I had firm views on general photography, i.e. anything goes, the end result is the only thing you should judge, if judge it you must, not how you arrived at that point.

I was often asked to judge local competitions but I always refused...on the grounds that my opinion was no better than anyone elses.

I love digital photography...it makes cheating so much easier.:wink:
John.
Si Med
12 years ago

But you left the HSBC sign in? :rofl:

Really good to see the before and after though :thumbup:

pre67vw wrote:

I still debate that now! haha

Completely agree John.

On a professional level, I don't know a single photographer that will only colour correct. (crop/clone etc)
Unless of course they shoot for a news paper, in which case their editors will probably do it instead 😃
54 UK rhd
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

I still debate that now! haha

Completely agree John.

On a professional level, I don't know a single photographer that will only colour correct. (crop/clone etc)
Unless of course they shoot for a news paper, in which case their editors will probably do it instead :D

Si Med wrote:

I'm sure we're reading from the same hymn sheet Si...not a single image I've not Photoshopped in some way.

If you sit and analyse how traditional film and the digital sensor interprets the pictures you take, it emphasises just how superior the human eye is at coping with the endless diversity of lighting conditions. People are used to seeing photographs that show these shortfalls and accept them as how they should be. Often if you produce a HDR image people will tell you they look artificial, there are some HDR effects that are extreme but I get tired of explaining how HDR better mimic the attributes of the human eye.

Whoops does this sound like preaching brethren?:oops:
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
I've done a fair bit of Photoshopping in the past but I tend to not do much these days - mostly because I try and shoot video and photos in parallel, and as it's very difficult & time consuming to photoshop video, so I try to be at peace with what I've captured.

I used to like taking photos at shows and then trying to make them look like they were taken on their own... these are from 12 years ago! :omg: time flies...  ghia.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  ghia_2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  split.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  split2_2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCF0009.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  DSCF0009_2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
merchantrader
12 years ago
I thought the first three posts on this thread were about making judgements
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

merchantrader wrote:

One thing I learned from Art college is that it's all subjective, what each person looks for and likes is individual - so long as you're happy with your own stuff then that's all that matters. :beer:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
merchantrader
12 years ago
[quote=pre67vw]I think it's a delicate balance, too adventurous less people will like them,

Sorry you really have lost me now. I thought this post meant you wanted more people to like them.

lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

merchantrader wrote:

Not about judging but would your attitudes to taking photographs for a magazine shoot be different than if you were taking shots for yourself. I was asking Rob what his approach would be.

Don't think anyone is saying you're right or wrong...in photography, art etc there are no rights or wrongs...there are just opinions.
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

Sorry you really have lost me now. I thought this post meant you wanted more people to like them.

merchantrader wrote:

I see where you're coming from, I obviously didn't explain myself enough. I was thinking in terms of a photoshoot that might be picked up by a mag or something, in those cases I think magazines pick photos that are not too arty, but arty enough that they're interesting. They need to appeal to a wide audience. For example, you could do an arty shot of a real close up of some patina with shallow depth of field - it could look great on a canvas, but doesn't illustrate enough for a magazine. That doesn't mean mags don't use creative photos, I think they do - but like I say, it's getting the balance.

So I guess when you start thinking a little bit commercially then it's less about what you personally like and you start thinking about what photos an art editor might pick.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
merchantrader
12 years ago
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago
As the sun is out I thought it might be a good idea to resurrect this thread.

I recently came across a cool online photo app that might be interesting to someone, it's called picMonkey   - it's a free online photo editor with some quite cool effects.

Attached is a pic from the last Bad Camberg first the original then others with a bunch of affects applied... (not that I actually spent a great deal of time on these by the way)  IMG_0172.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  dusk.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Intrepid.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  tranquil.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  loads.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
11 years ago
I find it's the quick 'paps' that I end up liking the best.

This is just a quick grainy crappy shot, nothing special at all, but I like it, as it's my car.

UserPostedImage

This was a quick 'Wow, that looks cool' moment shots.

UserPostedImage

Again, I just walked back to the car at noticed the shot.

UserPostedImage

Again, not the best shot, but I took it just before I fired it up and drove it out of the garage having repaired (at long last) some accident damage.

UserPostedImage

I'm not saying that any of those are particularly amazing, but I like them. I find the more impromptu, the more I remember them, I can think back to each of those occasions, and where I was. Had they been staged I'd not have any attachment to them. I'm not explaining well...

Nice topic.
William
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago
Very nice shots there! The black and white one is very cool, I like the composition of it. I also like the garage shot at the end at lot :thumbup: Would make a great birthday card...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
11 years ago
Ta' Rob. :smile:

I am rather fond of the black and white one, with the A30 in the background. Poor thing is just dumped there, flat tyres and dusty. It's in Hammersmith, I'm surprised there's anything left!

That was a fun evening, getting ever so slightly lost around West London when I joined the A4 the wrong way, an illegal right turn a few minutes later and I was back on track. That's what I mean, there's a memory tied up in that photo, had it been a 'shoot' where I had gone to that car park specifically to get photos, I'd not really give a crap.

I need to get back into going out and taking photos, I've often not bothered to tak the camera if I'm going anywhere interesting, as at a VW show for example there'll always be someone with more skill than me who will post them online, you, Julian, etc.

I may need to invest in a new lens soon, mine is a cheapo one and I think I've 'outgrown' it. Well, I guess the point at which you outgrow a bit of kit is when you notice the flaws, when I started using the DSLR I'd not have told it apart from a few grands worth of glass. That's not to say I'm an expert now, even nearly, however. There's also the fact that since it fell flat on its face on the side of a reservoir (where the silhouette Beetle photo was taken actually), it's always been a bit glitchy to focus, and sticks a bit sometimes. I can see it dying a death with another knock.
William